Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems as if split would be best for accuracy because of the angle of the string. If both the ring and middle finger apply like pressure on each side of the arrow the string will provide a flat surface for the nock. Three under creates a slight string angle through the nock.

However, not everyone is capable of keeping the exact same pressure with both fingers on the string. That goes for three under shooters also but with fingers splitting the arrow it seems that this uneven pressure would have a greater and more adverse affect on arrow flight than fingers which were further away from the arrow.

Am I wrong?

Doug

Comment

I shoot 3 under.. Seems to be more accurate for me

Comment

Everytime I try to shoot split finger I torc the arrow off the shelf

Comment

Split feels more Natural , but I shoot tighter groups with three under . I am pretty new to trad archery so I am having a hard time making up my mind Wichita technique to stick with .

Comment

Which**

Comment

I've been shooting trad for quiet a few years and prefer split, which I started with and decided to stay with after a brief experiment with 3-under. For me, 3-under puts too much emphasis on the arrow shaft as part of the sight picture. I prefer to 'aim' without conciously using the shaft or point as a sight, having found this to be a better/faster approach for hunting, my main interest. For target shooting, 3-under does offer advantages re using the arrow as a crude sight, especially at close range (looking down the arrow) and for longer-range gapping (i.e., using the arrow point to 'aim' inches above or below the mark depending on the distance to the target...need to know yardage or have a very flat shooting set-up). All in all, split just feels more comfortable to me for shooting quickly at at the ranges/under the conditions I prefer to shoot at. But that's just me.

Comment

I shoot 3 under as well. For me it makes it easy to have a clean release and not pinch the arrow nock.

As far as tillering i shoot a samick sage so changing that is not option. I didn't notice anything until I switched from homemade yarn puffs to cat whiskers. I noticed the top one gets tangled more than the bottom when I shoot. However, I don't think it effects my shooting - since that's the only way I shoot.

And consistency is more important than anything else for getting good groups (in my opinion). You can do the craziest thing, but if you do the exact same crazy thing every time the arrow with land in the exact same crazy place.

Comment

I just tried shooting three under. WOW, Im hitting everything im looking at . Bow is 64 inches , Had knock at 3/8 already didn't have to move it up. Arrows flying well. Hope this last or may go back to split.

Comment

just getting started trying both

Comment

Originally posted by rockmesteady View Post
                      I shoot 3 under as well. For me it makes it easy to have a clean release and not pinch the arrow nock.

As far as tillering i shoot a samick sage so changing that is not option. I didn't notice anything until I switched from homemade yarn puffs to cat whiskers. I noticed the top one gets tangled more than the bottom when I shoot. However, I don't think it effects my shooting - since that's the only way I shoot.

And consistency is more important than anything else for getting good groups (in my opinion). You can do the craziest thing, but if you do the exact same crazy thing every time the arrow with land in the exact same crazy place.
                      You can adjust the tiller on the Sage... just loosen one of the bolts and keep measuring the tiller until you get the desired effect. I'd recommend adding some adhesive felt to the inside of the pockets before you set it up that way with a slightly loose limb, to prevent rattling. Just don't loosen it too far.

Adding touches of felt on the back of the limbs where the string contacts will also quiet down the bow a good bit. Amazing what you can do with a 8x11" adhesive piece of felt from the arts and crafts section in Wal-Mart.

Comment

I shoot 3 under w/ a compound, string walking, but w/a recurve... split all the way, just feels, and shoots more naturally. As far as tiller, I set it neutral, then adjust for "feel" if the bow is bobbing up and down, because the top or bottom is stiffer, then adjust, your aiming will be more steady and your accuracy will benefit. And when I say adjust, it could be as little as a 1/12 turn, just enough to get the bolt to move.
                        cheers!
                        Last edited by mding; 08-24-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I am backwards I shot 3 under to start and just switched to split finger and shooting much better.

Comment

Originally posted by JPR79 View Post
                            You can adjust the tiller on the Sage... just loosen one of the bolts and keep measuring the tiller until you get the desired effect. I'd recommend adding some adhesive felt to the inside of the pockets before you set it up that way with a slightly loose limb, to prevent rattling. Just don't loosen it too far.

Adding touches of felt on the back of the limbs where the string contacts will also quiet down the bow a good bit. Amazing what you can do with a 8x11" adhesive piece of felt from the arts and crafts section in Wal-Mart.
                            I just bought my very first bow ever, Samick Journey, and although I know I don't know squat about bows I wouldn't think that shooting a recurve with loose limb bolts would be a good idea. I've been wrong in the past though so by all means tell me if I am now.

I do like the idea of putting a little felt where the string meets the bow though.

Richard.

Comment

I usually shoot 1 above 2 under, but I have been looking into String Walking. Seems cool, I might have to check it out. When I am not shooting my compound.

Comment

I used some of the foam junction box seals to pad my limb pockets. That and the new string made an incredible difference in sound and hand shock/vibration.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X