What have I got ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I got ?

Wanting to get back into trad archery so I dug out a couple OLD bows I have.
    I actually shot these bows back in the early 90's but both are waaay too short.
    One is a Bear (1953) thats 47" long with no string. Says 52" 55#s.
    Its a cool looking bow.

Other is a "no-name". 57" long. Only writing says 55# @ 28".
    Kinda plain looking.

Just want to make sure that Bear ain't worth a fortune before I give it away, lol.

Reading up on trad some and have reached out to a couple guys on here to point me in the right direction.

Wanting a LH TD Recurve thats 45-50#s @ 30". Can't afford the big name customs. Looking into sub $500 bows.

Here's the 2 I have.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210605_151407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	25251191

Name:	20210605_151347.jpg
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	25251192

Name:	20210605_151329.jpg
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	25251193

Name:	20210605_151313.jpg
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	25251194

Name:	20210605_151257.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	25251195

Name:	20210605_151243.jpg
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	25251196

Name:	20210605_151222.jpg
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	25251197

Name:	20210605_151153.jpg
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	25251198

Figgered a camp or a youngster might could use them ???

Your Kodiak Magnum is definitely a good brush and tree stand bow. I’ve had 2, just got one now. Your other bow has got me stumped. I’ve had a couple in my teens that were made by Yamaha, Indian, Ben Pearson and Bear and other brands, but I’m at a loss on that one. Unfortunately #55 is steep for a youth camp bow.

Whatever you do, don’t use fast flight strings on these. I sold my old Kodiak Magnum to a friend and he blew the limb tip off and split the limb due to most likely the new FF string.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

After researching the Kodiak, I've come to the conclusion that it was made in 1966. The 1953 references the patent.

Some on ebay are in the $200-$400 range!

Looking into Southwest Archery bows. Anyone have info/experience with them?

Comment

You've got the ugliest bedding in the world

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

6 yo girl !

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          You've got the ugliest bedding in the world

Don't make me sick my grand daughter on you! Besides.... Elsa is kinda hot!

Comment

Unfortunately, the holes and the weight of the Kodiak Magnum exclude it from being a top tier price range bow. My guess is $150 or so. They made about a million or two of those things beginning in 1961 and continued until the present. The other bow has the basic shape of of a late sixties to early seventies Wing bow. Not sure that it is, but that sight window shape brings back memories of the Wing Thunderbirds that I once owned. That one also is not a collector bow, so don't worry about leaving money on the table when you sell it.

I have purchased several bows from Southwest Archery over the years. Usually light weight bows for grandkids. There never has been a problem with the bows or getting them in hand within a few days. I believe that it is Southwest that will actually string a bow and check the weight prior to shipping if you request it. That is a good idea because some of the cheaper bows can be way off on the weight. I've heard a lot of good things about the Samick Discovery bow. It is a 17" riser bow so you can easily put together a 58 to 62" bow using the short, medium, or long ilf limbs from any manufacturer or just buy the complete bow with a string if it is available in a desired length. I'm using a set of the Discovery carbon foam limbs on a 19" riser and really like the set-up. I had to build my own string since I didn't buy a complete bow. Figure out what you want and then take a look on Ebay. I saved about $40 on the limbs and $60 on the riser and got free shipping by shopping around. There are lots of options out there. Take your time and do your research. Try to find a bow that fits your stature. Ask lots of questions.

Comment

^^^
              Thanks.

I'm trying to go with a 62-64" bow to accommodate a 30-31" draw. And I'm wanting to be @ 45-50#s at that draw length.

I've emailed SW Archery but right now everything is out of stock.

Looking at their Spyder XL or Tigershark.

Both well under my budget.

Said they'd Holler when something comes available.

The Sage is another I'm looking into. Not sure i can get it in 64" though.

Comment

Sage is a 62" bow.

Comment

You can do what I did. Order the Farmington 19" riser and a set of 50 pound Discovery longs. That will give you a 64" bow at about 48 pounds for about $400. ak74kjk sells both on Ebay at a good discount.

Comment

Message sent.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      Unfortunately, the holes and the weight of the Kodiak Magnum exclude it from being a top tier price range bow. My guess is $150 or so. They made about a million or two of those things beginning in 1961 and continued until the present. The other bow has the basic shape of of a late sixties to early seventies Wing bow. Not sure that it is, but that sight window shape brings back memories of the Wing Thunderbirds that I once owned. That one also is not a collector bow, so don't worry about leaving money on the table when you sell it.

I have purchased several bows from Southwest Archery over the years. Usually light weight bows for grandkids. There never has been a problem with the bows or getting them in hand within a few days. I believe that it is Southwest that will actually string a bow and check the weight prior to shipping if you request it. That is a good idea because some of the cheaper bows can be way off on the weight. I've heard a lot of good things about the Samick Discovery bow. It is a 17" riser bow so you can easily put together a 58 to 62" bow using the short, medium, or long ilf limbs from any manufacturer or just buy the complete bow with a string if it is available in a desired length. I'm using a set of the Discovery carbon foam limbs on a 19" riser and really like the set-up. I had to build my own string since I didn't buy a complete bow. Figure out what you want and then take a look on Ebay. I saved about $40 on the limbs and $60 on the riser and got free shipping by shopping around. There are lots of options out there. Take your time and do your research. Try to find a bow that fits your stature. Ask lots of questions.
                      Some good useful and helpful info 60 Deluxe, glad you could help 12ring. Nice to know there are some guys like you who know a lot and are willing to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X