No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got all the hay dug out. Got the new soil in and cow and chicken manure worked into the top 3” of soil. Gonna water this and let it marinade until after this cold crap this week and then plant......screw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ordered my chile seeds last week and get them this week.
      Spring is May up here and planting for most is in June so seeds get started in a month or so.
      Raised beds for me at home and a small garden plot up at the ranch, deer love it too.
      Garlic and shallots will go in when I can get into the thawed ground in my beds.

I use some cooleroo fabric for a wind break on my beds, nice looking set up Flash. I also put chicken wire on top to help with hail and squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
        Planted 600 pepper plants 2 weeks ago. Will be planting 900 tomato plants on saturday.
        A cloning/seedling station is my next project. I have been looking at lighting. Probably gonna go with LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          I sure wish there was something that grew just as easy as radish's that tasted better and offered more cooking options.
          What about rutabaga? I like them a lot better that radish. They are a similar plant that taste completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            What about rutabaga? I like them a lot better that radish. They are a similar plant that taste completely different.

That or even regular old purple top turnip greens... you can eat the tops and the bottoms of those... The turnips can have a bit of bite to them like a radish too!

Comment

Well we have our fingers crossed this year that we may actually have a garden... been 2 years since we were able to produce anything really... Last 2 years were pretty much wash-outs because of rain...
              Last Thursday, when I got home from work, I jumped on the tractor and turned my wife's garden plot (much reduced from previous years) over again (for the second time in the last few weeks). The ground was wet but it looked and smelled wonderful... before I got the tractor back in the barn, danged if it wasn't raining again!! It will get turned again this week before the weekend polar blast. That fresh dirt freezing a bit will also help with grass/weed control, Then hopefully the weekend after that, maybe we'll get some taters n early stuff in the ground...

Y'all join us in praying for rain this year in the proper amounts at the proper times for all our gardens (and food plots)!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	24644339

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	24644340

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Regular old purple top turnip greens... you can eat the tops and the bottoms of those.
                Thanks will give them a shot.. probably more so for the tops than the bottoms

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                Never had one. Will have to swing to Krogers and purchase and see what it taste like. Thanks!

Comment

I sure wish there was something that grew just as easy as radish's that tasted better and offered more cooking options.
                  We grew these Japanese Mikado Turnips this year. They are milder and a little sweeter than standard purple tops. The greens are just as good.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...20in%20minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    Ordered my chile seeds last week and get them this week.
                    Spring is May up here and planting for most is in June so seeds get started in a month or so.
                    Raised beds for me at home and a small garden plot up at the ranch, deer love it too.
                    Garlic and shallots will go in when I can get into the thawed ground in my beds.

I use some cooleroo fabric for a wind break on my beds, nice looking set up Flash. I also put chicken wire on top to help with hail and squirrels.

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anyone ever plant and grow Bok Choy successfully in southeast Texas? Been getting it fresh from the grocery store for various recipes... I like it better than regular cabbage, but never grew any... Would appreciate any experiences/feedback anyone may have.

Comment

First batch of seeds just arrived.
                        Going to try these new Rattlesnake Hatch chiles this year along with my jalapenos, Numex R Naky, cajohns jumbo serrano and some Numex 6-4s.

Got my rattlesnake seeds cheaper than this site though.

Comment

Anyone ever plant and grow Bok Choy successfully in southeast Texas? Been getting it fresh from the grocery store for various recipes... I like it better than regular cabbage, but never grew any... Would appreciate any experiences/feedback anyone may have.
                          I have never grown it, but my neighbor at the community garden grows it. It should do fine anywhere in SE Texas.

Comment

I grow it every year with zero issues here in the southeast. I always just get the starters at Home Depot (Bonnies). Very little care needed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I grow it every year with zero issues here in the southeast. I always just get the starters at Home Depot (Bonnies). Very little care needed.

WOW!! You could make a whole pot of soup with one stalk of that stuff!! Is it still tender when it gets that big?

I gotta do this!

Comment

WOW!! Is it still tender when it gets that big?
                                Yup...just cook it tad bit longer

Comment

Working...
                                X