• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bkmk.

Comment

A little late to the party this year!
      I started my Tomatoes a few days ago.
      San Marzano's, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine.
      Serrano peppers got started too.
      I'll direct sow my cucumbers and squash in March. Okra after that.
      As far as still growing, only the asparagus in the raised beds, as it's time to rebuild the boxes.
      I bought kits from Sam's that use composite boards for a lot cheaper than wooden boards. Those should last a lot longer than me!
      I still have couple of Carolina Reapers in buckets that I move into the shop to protect them from freezing temps.

Comment

Planted 600 pepper plants 2 weeks ago. Will be planting 900 tomato plants on saturday.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
          Planted 600 pepper plants 2 weeks ago. Will be planting 900 tomato plants on saturday.
          What light setup are you using?

Comment

Love these threads always tons of info! After reading looks like we need to get started!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              What light setup are you using?
              They are antelux 4 foot lights off Amazon. I didnt know what all I needed last year but have not had any issues out of them. They keep the seedlings going and kept hydroponic garden alive all winter indoors with no other light.
              Last edited by doublearrow; 01-26-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Good afternoon. I have a couple of questions. The last three years we have been gardening raised beds and a couple of small plots directly behind the house. This year is I am wanting to expand it quite a bit. I am getting a 5’ rotary tiller for my tractor next week. I have the room across the pasture and was curious if anyone plants their rows far enough apart to get their tractor between the rows to keep it tilled and the weeds out? Any pics would be appreciated. Yes I know it will be wasted space.

Comment

I sure wish there was something that grew just as easy as radish's that tasted better and offered more cooking options.

Comment

Has anyone tried Jerusalem Artichokes before? Been reading a lot about them over the past couple years. Both ease of growing and great taste. Thinking about adding that to the new experiment list for this season.

Comment

I started some carrots, cilantro and peppers yesterday. Plan on starting some snap peas and tomatoes soon. This is our first year to really try at gardening, and because we plan on moving in a few months([emoji1695]), I’m doing stuff in containers so it won’t be that much. I wouldn’t dare leave my tomatoes behind!

Peppers: jalapeño, big Jim chili’s, banana peppers, sweet red Marconi

Tomatoes: thorburn’s terra-cotta, big daddy, and blue berry cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2021 Gardening Thread

I got destroyed by deer last year so I built this!

One question. I thought I was being smart and put two flakes of coastal hay across the whole bottom. 3 bales worth. The idea was to save me money on dirt and the hay would break down over time and provide nutrients and organic matter into the soil. Everyone online is growing in “straw bales”. Supposedly the use of herbicides aren’t allowed in the production of wheat.

Research has led me to believe that I need to dig the hay out. There is a chance that the hay was treated with herbicides that are still present and will leech into my soil and end up killing my vegetables.

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Supposedly it’s the main reason you’re not supposed to use horse manure.

I was gonna top the bed off with the last yard of soil mix today but was considering digging the hay out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by FLASH_OUTDOORS; 02-06-2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

One question. I thought I was being smart and put two flakes of coastal hay across the whole bottom. 3 bales worth. The idea was to save me money on dirt and the hay would break down over time and provide nutrients and organic matter into the soil. Everyone online is growing in “straw bales”. Supposedly the use of herbicides aren’t allowed in the production of wheat.

Research has led me to believe that I need to dig the hay out. There is a chance that the hay was treated with herbicides that are still present and will leech into my soil and end up killing my vegetables.

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Supposedly it’s the main reason you’re not supposed to use horse manure.

I was gonna top the bed off with the last yard of soil mix today but was considering digging the hay out first.

I couldnt imagine there would still be enough active herbicide in dried hay to continue to kill this upcoming growing season. But if worried, pull out and replace with wood chips or forest floor material if your looking for "filler"

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

If the hay was treated with grazon p+d it will have residual. I have tons of hay around my hayrings that would be excellent but I won't use it. I buy alfalfa and use that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                              If the hay was treated with grazon p+d it will have residual. I have tons of hay around my hayrings that would be excellent but I won't use it. I buy alfalfa and use that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He said cimmeron

Comment

Online says it’s effective for 4-6weeks after application

Comment

Working...
                                X