Half Cow Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
    If you buy half you do get the left or the right half. I say this left or right because some folks are picky, no kidding...
    What I mean by the cuts is you get to choose how you want it processed. It's call a cut sheet. I don't have one in front to explain.

Overall a quick explanation is like this
    Ribs - whole or short
    Hind quarter - roast or steaks ( if steaks - bone in or out, tenderized Y or N)
    Backstrap - NY or ribeye( if ribeye - bone in or out)
    Tenderloin - whole or steaks
    Trimming - hamburger or chili or both (# per package) as someone stated you may want all hamburger cause ya have an old cow or certain breed and it will be tough.

So you do come home with a half a calf cut up to the specified cuts you want.

One thing to remember is you don't come home with the same # of meat as the hanging weight either. It's always less due to bones removed. (although you can request those to be packaged as well to make soup or feed the dogs)

Hope this helps...

tending the fire,
    Bob G.

Yep was reading down through here and about to say just FYI you wont end up with half of the hanging weight. You will end up with about 60-65% of the hanging weight of a carcass cut up meat. Now 1/2 that since you are buying half.

EX 750LBS hanging carcass x .63 avg is 472 and half that so roughly 200-240lbs of meat.

I give this for an example because some people see $8 a LB for 1/4 or halfs after butcher and think dang thats high or at $5LB hanging im getting a good deal well. Once you cut that animal up you loose alot of weight. which is what make the $8 a LB meat.
    Last edited by dclifton; 06-29-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

One other thing i will say is be prepared to be spoiled. Because we grind up anything we can. And i can promise you ive ground up prolapsed cows and broke leg old bulls and the Hamburger meat we get from them is still 10-1 better than what you get in the store. Unless you are buying something top shelf.

You will be hooked.

Comment

That is in line with what we sell our processed beef for if buying 1/2

Comment

I have a 1/2 beef going to slaughter July 12th. I will pay $3.80 per lb, hanging weight.. this includes all basic processing.
          I can update later what total cost finished butchering weight.

Comment

Curious as to if you decided to buy?
            FYI -I have an American Aberdeen (lowline) to be processed at the end of July, will be out of processor mid August.
            They are the smallest frame of the Angus line, so you don't have to purchase another freezer.
            Marble well, (not as much fat as Waygu) and not as costly
            Wish you well whatever route you take.

"Eat more beef"

tending the fire,
            Bob G.

Comment

I just paid $4.75 for a half side.

Comment

cow

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                I just paid $4.75 for a half side.
                Want to share details? Always interested to know Paul Harvey's quote "The rest of the story" ...

tending the fire,
                Bob G.

Comment

Want to share details? Always interested to know Paul Harvey's quote "The rest of the story" ...

tending the fire,
                  Bob G.
                  A buddy of mine has a business. Great beef and awesome folks. I think he is going up on his prices soon do to feed cost. $4.75 a LB is fair enough price IMO

Choose from our ¼, ½, whole steer, and custom options to fill your freezer to beat inflation and feed your family with no chemicals. Order online, today!

Comment

Curious as to if you decided to buy?
                    FYI -I have an American Aberdeen (lowline) to be processed at the end of July, will be out of processor mid August.
                    They are the smallest frame of the Angus line, so you don't have to purchase another freezer.
                    Marble well, (not as much fat as Waygu) and not as costly
                    Wish you well whatever route you take.

"Eat more beef"

tending the fire,
                    Bob G.

Sent ya a PM Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

PM

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                      Sent ya a PM Bob

Back at ya...

tending the fire,
                      Bob G.

Comment

Just read a study the other day in one of the producers magazines about the rise in popularity of Holstein meat quality vs Angus, surprisingly the showed the meat was of equal quality with the only draw back being final yield . We have a Angus/Holstein cross steer that we are going to process at the end of this year to see how it goes.

Comment

The wife and I will be splitting a steer with my parents next year. They just had a whole cow butchered, and as long as the wait list was, she was a big ‘ol girl. So, it will be a while.

Never go less than half and half. There’s just too much arguing about the premium cuts. Most people just can’t understand how little of each there are in a carcass compared lesser desired roasts, ground, etc…

Comment

Buying a whole steer or half isn’t the best way to go. Your only going to get so many ribeyes and T bones and a butt load of hamburger. If you took the money you have totally invested in a steer went to a know. Butcher shop. You can buy the select cuts and minimum of hamburger.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                              Buying a whole steer or half isn’t the best way to go. Your only going to get so many ribeyes and T bones and a butt load of hamburger. If you took the money you have totally invested in a steer went to a know. Butcher shop. You can buy the select cuts and minimum of hamburger.
                              Spot on. Tons of burger.

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                                Spot on. Tons of burger.

I’d disagree, depends on what cuts you ask for.. lots of people have roasts (among other cuts) turned into hamburger.

A decent butcher should be able to keep hamburger to 30-35% of your yield.

Comment

Working...
                                X