Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who plants soybeans in the spring/summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, would love to have a drill, but can’t afford one to use on food plots. I kill existing vegetation with gly, disc it until it’s manageable, (which is different according to moisture and soil type), broadcast fert and then seed, drag it down and I’m done. It’s a little more complicated than the simple terms I’ve stated but that’s the gist of it. I try to disc as little as possible. Some soils that’s two passes,one to turn the top over and one to level. Sometimes it’s as many as three pases to turn over and one to level. I make my last pass with my gangs almost straight, then when I broadcast and drag, the seeds drag jnto the disc grooves and it almost looks like it was drilled in.
    Attached Files

Comment

A better pic
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Yep, would love to have a drill, but can’t afford one to use on food plots. I kill existing vegetation with gly, disc it until it’s manageable, (which is different according to moisture and soil type), broadcast fert and then seed, drag it down and I’m done. It’s a little more complicated than the simple terms I’ve stated but that’s the gist of it. I try to disc as little as possible. Some soils that’s two passes,one to turn the top over and one to level. Sometimes it’s as many as three pases to turn over and one to level. I make my last pass with my gangs almost straight, then when I broadcast and drag, the seeds drag jnto the disc grooves and it almost looks like it was drilled in.

Looks good. Need to buy a new seed spreader for my tractor

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone ever try the red ripper peas? Everything I’ve read says they are more tolerant to sandy soil which is like where I’d be planting them and also says they are very drought tolerant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We can't grow them.well. Deer will wipe them out shortly after they come up.. We have tried up to 5 acres and still to small. Good luck.

Comment

good thread. im hoping to learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                We can't grow them.well. Deer will wipe them out shortly after they come up.. We have tried up to 5 acres and still to small. Good luck.
                I planted peas two years on a place that had a high deer density, and put out milorganite both years. The first year my June planted peas lasted until the middle of September. I thought the milorganite really did the trick. Next year, I planted the same way, spread milorganite, and the peas lasted 6 weeks. I had a camera on the plot, I could see the peas growing from pics to pics, then, the deer found them, knew how good they were from last year, and the peas just got shorter and shorter. In 6 weeks only vines were left. I didn’t plant it last year at all because of the drought and doubt I’ll do it again. All I can get is 2 acres there and that just ain’t enough.

Comment

I’ve had really good success with Laredo soybeans. I usually plant mid May or around there.

Comment

Working...
                  X