X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some nice deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to see everyone else has got the itch too. this is my 5th year hunting my place in Push County and I have resorted to not feeding until 9/1 just prior to planting my food plots. This seems to be the only way to keep bears from tearing up my stuff until they head back up towards higher elevations.

I get bear pics during this week of August just like clockwork and then, Bam, they are gone. Not sure if its for one last push at the berries or what.

Question: I've gone to mineral licks in the summer like most but was wondering how y'all are dispensing rice bran. Piles? I tried mixing with corn in a feeder and it made a mess.

I keep three feeders going for the resident doe populations and then hunt the trails north and south according to prevailing wind in hopes of catching a slammer scent checking the feeders. I haven't really had much luck with bucks coming into anything but hand thrown corn.

Comment

Your experience is consistent with ours. We pour rice bran in small piles

Comment

I put out one of the new Tree Hugger feeders with a bag of rice bran in it last month next to a Trophy Rock on a trail that I have a lot of photos of deer traveling through. I have only hand corned that area during season in the past and it's not near any corn feeders. Hopefully I can check it soon and see if the $20 I paid for that bran feeder is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by kva393 View Post
            Glad to see everyone else has got the itch too. this is my 5th year hunting my place in Push County and I have resorted to not feeding until 9/1 just prior to planting my food plots. This seems to be the only way to keep bears from tearing up my stuff until they head back up towards higher elevations.

I get bear pics during this week of August just like clockwork and then, Bam, they are gone. Not sure if its for one last push at the berries or what.

Question: I've gone to mineral licks in the summer like most but was wondering how y'all are dispensing rice bran. Piles? I tried mixing with corn in a feeder and it made a mess.

I keep three feeders going for the resident doe populations and then hunt the trails north and south according to prevailing wind in hopes of catching a slammer scent checking the feeders. I haven't really had much luck with bucks coming into anything but hand thrown corn.

My experience with the bears is very similar. It is very interesting to see them frequent the lower areas until a certain point in August and then they are gone. Regarding feeders, I’ve only been running feeders for a couple years for my kids. I have yet to get any significant bucks frequenting during shooting hours. From time to time I will see a good buck come in at night but it is very infrequent.

I have not used hand corn or rice bran. I’ll be following to see what I can learn from you boys.

Comment

Put small piles of rice bran out, they see to hit it hard in October and early November. All of these are pictures I took while hunting. I let them all walk 🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the advice, the first buck with the rice bran all over his nose looked like Michael Irving after late 90's Cowboy's win....

I'm sure we can all learn a little from each other and add to our successes.

I wont have time to spray food plots exactly like i want with kid's sports schedules limiting my trips. I think I may disc the best I can next weekend then head back up first or second week of September for a quick final disc and plant. I'll definitively try adding some rice bran as well.

Justin Feed Store has a fall food plot mix that works well even with the Push County Rock Gremlins pushing new rocks up every other day. I usually add an additional 50# bag of winter rye and 200# fertilizer just to keep things green. Once leaves have fallen the green plots really stick out.

I'm after this slick ol' mule this year he evaded me last season....
                Attached Files

Comment

Did somebody ask about Rice Bran?

https://vimeo.com/channels/nolanoutdoors/142090030

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                    Did somebody ask about Rice Bran?

https://vimeo.com/channels/nolanoutdoors/142090030

Boy they were lapping it up.

Comment

Originally posted by kva393 View Post

Not as many bear on camera this year as last year, but haven't been up in a month. Going within the next couple weeks and hopefully don't have that many.

Comment

Not as many bear on camera this year as last year, but haven't been up in a month. Going within the next couple weeks and hopefully don't have that many.

They must be all on our place. I will keep them around to eat $1000 worth of BuckRation and then send them on their way right before season starts.

Comment

That’s mighty nice of you, Rick![emoji51]

Comment

Glad I could be of service

Comment

This will be my second year on this discussion board and tenth year in Pushmataha county, more than thrilled to see familiar faces and good looking deer in and around the area as I haven’t even set foot in SE Oklahoma this calendar year. But that’s soon to change!

Comment

Third year on our place and the bears finally showed up. Had two feeders destroyed. Don't know if it was the same bear or different ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X