5.7 Hemi problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    What is the difference between remanufactured and rebuilt??

Off their website:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this just the truck engines or all hemis? My son has a charger with abt. 40K and want to pass this info on to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
        Is this just the truck engines or all hemis? My son has a charger with abt. 40K and want to pass this info on to him.

All HEMI’s, including the 6.2’s. One guy on YouTube had a 300 with 400 miles and another one had a Durango with 64,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
          **** poor design coupled with poor quality metals. The MDS seems to be the epicenter for this issue.

You think the MDS causes this? I have a 12’ and I turn my MDS off every time, mainly cause I have magnaflow mufflers and it sounds like crap when the MDS kicks in, plus it doesn’t help with my gas mileage at all.

Comment

Dang it I just bought my oldest a 2010 1500 single cab with a Hemi and was noticing a tick last night when we drove it around the block.

Comment

We have a 12 Ramsey 1500 with the hemi and haven't had an issue (knock on wood) but then again I've been putting seafoam in the oil every oil change..

Comment

The Chevrolet's had the lifter failures because of the AFM/DOD as well. I had mine tuned out and turned it into a totally different truck. I ended up getting rid of it in fear that would happen to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                  You think the MDS causes this? I have a 12’ and I turn my MDS off every time, mainly cause I have magnaflow mufflers and it sounds like crap when the MDS kicks in, plus it doesn’t help with my gas mileage at all.

Yup. So much so that guys are deleting the MDS.

Comment

Its not just the hemi motors, wifes 3.2 cherokee needed a new top end after 30,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      Yup. So much so that guys are deleting the MDS.

I wish I could figure out if my wife's truck's MDS is even set to engage.

It is a 2016 Longhorn Laramie and I have never seen anything flash on the screen indicating MDS is active or feel a power change when scooting along.

I also have a 2006 Hemi with 173k (ranch truck) and when I recently changed the oil in it I heard the infamous tick when I first lit it off after the change. I didn't hear it afterwards so maybe it was the oil resupplying itself through the passages since pulling the filter allowed most of it to drain out.

Comment

Just curious. What is the MDS? I'm not very mechanically inclined with engines and was wondering what this was. Thanks

Doug Key

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          What is the difference between remanufactured and rebuilt??
                          Same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

5.7 Hemi problems

From the web:

How does the Dodge MDS work?
                            First, it reduces the engine's pumping work by closing the intake valve later. ... Dodge's fuel-saving MDS system seamlessly alternates between smooth, high-fuel-economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed, and V-8 mode when more power from the new 5.7-liter HEMI engine is in demand.

Kinda like the old Northstar systems in late model Cadillacs.

Last edited by Blood Trail; 03-14-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                              Same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not exactly. When someone rebuilds an engine, they usually fix or upgrade what’s wrong. The shade tree mech usually don’t go that deep in it.

According to them:

“Remanufacturing products are not “rebuilt” to fix only what’s necessary to make them work again. Remanufactured ensures that every part is machined, every process completed, every time. Our remanufactured products are not refurbished or used. The products are stripped down to their individual components, cleaned, machined, and rebuilt to be at or better than OE specifications.”

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                                Just curious. What is the MDS? I'm not very mechanically inclined with engines and was wondering what this was. Thanks

Doug Key
                                Multi Displacement System half the cylinders cut off in ECO mode....coasting or decelerating.

Comment

Working...
                                X