Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
    First tip: ditch the ski’s and get a board

Second: lunges and jump squats will help more so than lifting. Get your cardio up.

Third: stretch and work on getting flexible

Fourth: drink a beer or two, or three. Something about beer and the slopes they just go together
    This guy gets it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our last trip we rented gear. Didn’t have to fly with it
      Ordered it and picked it up on the way. All new looking stuff

I would workout in the gym and also get some aerobic work in.
      Nice reason to improve your health.
      Pushing across flat ground wears you out unless you ski a lot.

BP

Comment

I guess I was the exception. I went to ski school and got nothing out of it. Learned the hard way until I figured a few things out. I wish someone would have told me to just do jump cuts like in football and I would have learned a lot quicker. Being 6'4"; 240 lbs the slope has to be pretty flat for "the pizza" to stop me. Once I learned to turn I was up on the blues pretty quick. Not going to say I'm smooth, but I'm effective.

Comment

I went for the first time in December. Definitely NOT a poor mans sport. Lift tickets, lessons, and ski rental blows. I didn't have too hard of a time, except for the stopping part!

I have some XL bibs you can borrow if you don't want to spend the money. I bought them at Academy and they worked great. You just want something to keep yourself from getting wet.

Comment

Clothing obviously depends on the weather. If it's 35 and sunny you won't need much more than a base layer, bibs or pants and a light jacket or hoodie. If it's 5 degrees, windy and snowing, well that won't work. Base layer is key.

Comment

Our family went to Taos for New Years and it was our first Skiing experience. (myself, 12yr old son, 8 yr old son all skiied for the first time)

Everyone told us to do ski school - We Didn't
              Everyone told us to stick to the bunny slopes without ski school - We didn't
              Everyone told us we would be super sore - We weren't

We all 3 picked it right up and had a blast - stuck to the bunny slopes the first day while getting the hang of it and took to the mountain on day 2. Stayed on the Greens, other than a short stint on the Blue "adventure park" to watch people do jumps/rails/etc/.etc.

The temp was between -2 and 3 degrees both mornings when we started and the first lesson we learned was DO NOT OVERCLOTHE:
              First day was a high of around 10 degrees with blowing snow all day long and we burned up in the following:

Heavyweight base layers
              Sweat pants
              Ski Pants
              Fleece hoodie
              North Face puffy jacket
              Un insulated Ski jacket

Day 2 I ditched the sweat pants under my ski pants and the un-insulated ski jacket outer layer and was comfortable all day long.

Listed below are the 3 lessons I learned from our first trip:

Lesson 1: don't OVER clothe
              Lesson 2: Wear a helmet (not only for safety, but to keep your head warm as well)
              Lesson 3: Skiing is NOT for tightwads like myself (it gets expensive in a HURRY). If the trip would not have been a Christmas present from my wifes parents, I would have spent around $3,500 (and that is with only 2 days of equipment rentals/lift tickets)
              Last edited by Codie; 01-17-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Skiing is easy as far as muscle fatigue. I have been with many that had never been and no one complained about being sore the next day. After two or three days, yes. If you don’t want to be sore ski, snowboard you WILL BE SORE the first day. But boarding is far better once you get the hang of it, the soreness is well worth it. But it’s more about the falling that causes your soreness, and not muscle fatigue. And as far as “ practice “before you go, I can’t think of a good “exercise “ to get the feel of skiing, if you were to snow board, the best I can tell you is a one wheel. If your in half way decent shape and your only going for a day, I would think squats and walking, running some steps may help if your concerned.

Comment

Do Cardio and then some more cardio. The air is thin up their.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Take lessons the first day.
                    yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                      Our family went to Taos for New Years and it was our first Skiing experience. (myself, 12yr old son, 8 yr old son all skiied for the first time)

Everyone told us to do ski school - We Didn't
                      Everyone told us to stick to the bunny slopes without ski school - We didn't
                      Everyone told us we would be super sore - We weren't

We all 3 picked it right up and had a blast - stuck to the bunny slopes the first day while getting the hang of it and took to the mountain on day 2. Stayed on the Greens, other than a short stint on the Blue "adventure park" to watch people do jumps/rails/etc/.etc.

The temp was between -2 and 3 degrees both mornings when we started and the first lesson we learned was DO NOT OVERCLOTHE:
                      First day was a high of around 10 degrees with blowing snow all day long and we burned up in the following:

Heavyweight base layers
                      Sweat pants
                      Ski Pants
                      Fleece hoodie
                      North Face puffy jacket
                      Un insulated Ski jacket

Day 2 I ditched the sweat pants under my ski pants and the un-insulated ski jacket outer layer and was comfortable all day long.

Listed below are the 3 lessons I learned from our first trip:

Lesson 1: don't OVER clothe
                      Lesson 2: Wear a helmet (not only for safety, but to keep your head warm as well)
                      Lesson 3: Skiing is NOT for tightwads like myself (it gets expensive in a HURRY). If the trip would not have been a Christmas present from my wifes parents, I would have spent around $3,500 (and that is with only 2 days of equipment rentals/lift tickets)
                      Correct.

I wear my under armor pants with basketball shorts and put my board pants on at the mountain. Upper body depends on temps and wind. Also it gets alot windier and colder on the lift way up top or on the backside. Like say the top of Kachina Peak or the hike to terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                        Post up some of these "Extreme Swowboarding" videos.I saw one you posted a few years ago here..I wanna see some extreme cred!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                        Oh yeah, rode Kachina Peak the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                          I guess I was the exception. I went to ski school and got nothing out of it. Learned the hard way until I figured a few things out. I wish someone would have told me to just do jump cuts like in football and I would have learned a lot quicker. Being 6'4"; 240 lbs the slope has to be pretty flat for "the pizza" to stop me. Once I learned to turn I was up on the blues pretty quick. Not going to say I'm smooth, but I'm effective.
                          This is funny!

Comment

Run the bunnies a few times until you get comfortable(ish) stopping, then find a GREEN to run from top to bottom, most mountains have several of them. Repeat as necessary until your comfortable. Going with an experienced skier will be a good lesson, unless he's a punk and wants to see you get killed .. To me... Its all about boot comfort. If your boots arent comfortable, go back and get another pair until you find one that is comfortable. That will make or break your experience IMO

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
                              This is funny!
                              p=mv

Can get ugly quick...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                                This was my experience too, I couldn't stop for nothing!!

Comment

Working...
                                X