No announcement yet.

snow skiing newbie...school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your real sore, your doing it wrong. Plenty of 70yr old folks skiing with proper form. I usually get the burn when hitting extended bumps. It's all form issues, but at a certain point I'm getting through it the best I can. One tip I heard years ago, imagine a $100 bill hanging out of the front top of your boot and don't let off or you'll lose it. It will take a little more instruction then a few pointers from your friend in my opinion. I'd figure on several days of group instruction. Once you get the basics I'd spend a little for private lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
      thanks. guess just go ahead n plan on being sore. glad to hear i wont be the only one.
      I have no snow clothes, i have some water resistant cold weather hunting gear. will this work or should i start shopping resale shops? dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something i may never use again if i dont care for it
      that may depend on weather. I don't ski very much, but there have been days that got pretty cold even with decent ski gear, especially on the ride up the lift. have been other days where I wished I had worn worn (waterproof) hunting clothes not to get so hot. if water resistant means it will end up getting wet, then I would personally look for something else just to be prepared

Comment

hip flexors is what will get you. (outside hip down to upper thigh.) google calisthenics to work this muscle.

If you do some hard core runs you thighs will burn. Do squats and wall squats to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
          If your real sore, your doing it wrong. Plenty of 70yr old folks skiing with proper form. I usually get the burn when hitting extended bumps. It's all form issues, but at a certain point I'm getting through it the best I can. One tip I heard years ago, imagine a $100 bill hanging out of the front top of your boot and don't let off or you'll lose it. It will take a little more instruction then a few pointers from your friend in my opinion. I'd figure on several days of group instruction. Once you get the basics I'd spend a little for private lesson.
          This is just goofy.

You are going to be sore if you don't ski often. Even the best will be after the first runs of the year. What makes you sore mostly is falling and getting back up. You can tootle around on bunny hills all day, never fall and not be sore but who wants to do that? If you go off in 4 ft of powder in the glades and get crazy you are going to be sore.vif you rip up extreme terrain and wipe out a few times you will be sore.

I've been snowboarding extreme terrain for 30 years. I kinda know my ****. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some quick lessons probably wouldn't hurt.
            First time I went in my 20's, I was very athletic so went straight to the top on some borrowed equipment, wiped out doing about 200 mph it seemed. Air flight, broke leg in 8 places, lost 1/2" in my left leg and spent a year rehabbing, but don't worry, you'll be fine. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              Shot you a PM.

One of my favorite skiing memories was from Heavenly. I was young and broke so I was skiing in my hunting clothes. Head to toe camo. At the top of the mountain, I was stopped by a group of young women and they asked me to snap a picture of them. After the picture, one of them asked why I was wearing camouflage. My response was "I'm hunting snow bunnies!" They all giggled and said "you found some".
              Camo at Heavenly.

[emoji2357]

[emoji38]

[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                This is just goofy.

You are going to be sore if you don't ski often. Even the best will be after the first runs of the year. What makes you sore mostly is falling and getting back up. You can tootle around on bunny hills all day, never fall and not be sore but who wants to do that? If you go off in 4 ft of powder in the glades and get crazy you are going to be sore.vif you rip up extreme terrain and wipe out a few times you will be sore.

I've been snowboarding extreme terrain for 30 years. I kinda know my ****. Lol.

I don't doubt yours or anyone else's skill level. I too have been skiing over 30yrs. in all terrain. As I get older, form is more important and will stand by my statement that being sore for a beginner is from "back seat riding" while skiing. One of the first things instructors try to change when they hear a student is sore.

Comment

The times I've been we were out there in t-shirts, keep in mind you're active and 25 degrees up there feels like 55 degrees here. I like to plan fishing days in between skiing to give my old body a break to recover.

Comment

Get on Academy.com they have stuff on clearance right now. When you get there, rent skis and buy lift ticket. Go to the top of the mountain. By the time you get to the bottom you will know how to ski. Saved you $300.....you're welcome! We are headed to Breck February 15.

Comment

Camo at Heavenly.

[emoji2357]

[emoji38]

[emoji6]

Yep, with rented boots and skis. That trip, it was camo or nothing because I didn't have any other options and couldn't make myself spend upwards of $300 at the time.

Comment

Yep, with rented boots and skis. That trip, it was camo or nothing because I didn't have any other options and couldn't make myself spend upwards of $300 at the time.
                        Heavenly is about as uppity as it gets. That was all I was saying. New Mexico you will see plenty of camo.

Comment

Heavenly is about as uppity as it gets. That was all I was saying. New Mexico you will see plenty of camo.

And that's a fact!!! That view of the lake though.

Comment

And that's a fact!!! That view of the lake though.
                            Greatness. I prefer Kirkwood. Sierra is chill. Squaw is hardcore above treeline style. I love Tahoe. South Lake Tahoe is awesome.

Comment

Pizza and French fries.

Comment

I am a pretty active fat guy and I ski once a year with no real preparation and no real soreness. I start on greens for a few hours and easy to medium blues the rest and rarely have issues...

Take a lesson for sure! I did my first time years ago and the most important thing they teach you is how to stop! If u can stop you can pretty much ski most blues safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X