snow skiing newbie...school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snow skiing newbie...school me

have a buddy coming stateside and were going to meet in colorado 1st of march. hes a skier, ive never been.

what do yall do to get in shape for ski season. i was told squats and core and not worry as ill be on easy stuff. have 10 weeks to get in shape for it. i dont want to be so sore after the first day that i cant enjoy the rest.

any tips? im not the most graceful guy around but hes told me it really isnt that hard.

Your not having fun unless your crashing.
    Stay on the green slopes for at least a day and learn as you go.

Comment

Take a lesson first even if you are a barefoot water skier, take a lesson. It isnt that hard, to get hurt. Dont try and keep up with guys that go every year. You will be shredding soon enough with the kiddos

Comment

Take lessons the first day.

Comment

I’m always real sore after the first day! Then is smooth sailing after that.

If you’ve never been snow skiing, take a lesson the first day. That will help you figure things out a bunch!!!!

Have fun!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't call it snow skiing. It's just skiing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you have your answer. It’s a blast to ski and your body will warm up so the soreness will go away pretty quickly.

Comment

Definitely wouldn't hurt to get lessons on the first day, my first time was this year and they helped tremendously. Also jogging or walking every evening could help.

Comment

After skiing 1st day take some Aleve then some next morning. Then follow up with some hard liquor like Extra Sharp Ginger Brandy and a couple of Bloody Mary's with extra tobasco. You forget about soreness/pain and just go have fun.

Comment

It’s pretty easy. My routine is first day wife and kids and I hit the green slope. After first run I put kids and wife on magic carpet and I head to the bar. Rinse and repeat day 2 and 3. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      Don't call it snow skiing. It's just skiing.

well around here if we say skiing were behind a boat lol

Comment

thanks. guess just go ahead n plan on being sore. glad to hear i wont be the only one.
                        I have no snow clothes, i have some water resistant cold weather hunting gear. will this work or should i start shopping resale shops? dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something i may never use again if i dont care for it

Comment

Instead of regular squats with weight on the bar I would recommend body weight jumping squats and jumping lunges. You use your muscles differently slowing down your descent than you do pushing weight up, which is what skiing is.

Skiing isn’t that hard once you get the hang of it. Just get your buddy to give you a quick lesson on a few greens and you should be handling blues by the end of the trip. Weight goes on the foot opposite the way you want to turn. If you want to turn left, your weight will be on your right foot; and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                            well around here if we say skiing were behind a boat lol
                            Tons of people from Texas ski and snowboard.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                              thanks. guess just go ahead n plan on being sore. glad to hear i wont be the only one.
                              I have no snow clothes, i have some water resistant cold weather hunting gear. will this work or should i start shopping resale shops? dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something i may never use again if i dont care for it

Shot you a PM.

One of my favorite skiing memories was from Heavenly. I was young and broke so I was skiing in my hunting clothes. Head to toe camo. At the top of the mountain, I was stopped by a group of young women and they asked me to snap a picture of them. After the picture, one of them asked why I was wearing camouflage. My response was "I'm hunting snow bunnies!" They all giggled and said "you found some".

Comment

Working...
                              X