Hippo and Croc hunting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hippo and Croc hunting....

How, why, and what did they do with the animal after killing it?

Interested in the how most. What gun takes down a hippo? And do you sneak up on one while it's on the bank and hope you drop it before it runs into the water?

And how exactly does one hunt a croc? And recover it? A huge croc would be an expensive taxi bill LOL

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    How, why, and what did they do with the animal after killing it?

Interested in the how most. What gun takes down a hippo? And do you sneak up on one while it's on the bank and hope you drop it before it tramples you

And how exactly does one hunt a croc? And recover it? A huge croc would be an expensive taxi bill LOL
    fixed

Comment

Crocs are brained (hopefully) therefore rendering them unable to move after the shot. It doesn’t always work, the brain isn’t very big.

Hippos are usually shot on the bank with the same rifle that you would use on cape buff or elephant. That doesn’t guarantee that they won’t make it to water either.

I imagine the meat is utilized by the natives just like all the other game that’s killed in Africa.

Comment

Dad shot a hippo a few years ago. The natives gladly took the meat... They even accepted the week-old chunks that were later used as bait for the leopard hunt. Maggots and all.

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxopt6gpG8M"]How to Hunt Hippo | 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Nice video. Thanks.

Comment

Tamales.....you can’t go wrong

Comment

Boddington pretty much nailed it. Water isn't to sporty. If you get between the hippo and water at dawn when it is returning you may very well get more than you wanted.
                I shot on on land in Tanzania about 30 yrs ago, He saw us about 35 yards away and was ****** off immediately turned broadside and I dumped two 470 nitro rounds in his chest
                he stumbled but didn't go down. He charged roaring and popping those big jaws, I brained him about 10 yards. All of it caught on video

Comment

^^^ that is amazing that he was still moving after two hits from a 470 Nitro. I bet that was a fun story to tell around camp.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                    Boddington pretty much nailed it. Water isn't to sporty. If you get between the hippo and water at dawn when it is returning you may very well get more than you wanted.
                    I shot on on land in Tanzania about 30 yrs ago, He saw us about 35 yards away and was ****** off immediately turned broadside and I dumped two 470 nitro rounds in his chest
                    he stumbled but didn't go down. He charged roaring and popping those big jaws, I brained him about 10 yards. All of it caught on video
                    Post the video!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Post the video!
                      It old Hi8 video

Comment

It old Hi8 video
                        Probably with alot of shaking and swearing! Hippos are huge and those teeth could really do some damage.

Comment

cool thread and video

Comment

I wonder what Hippo tastes like?

Comment

Buddy of mine had one charge just like that & slid to a stop at his feet as well...his partner was supposed to be filming but was in the fetal position saying his prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X