No announcement yet.

Rim fire caliber on hogs….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn’t use rimfire except for trapped hogs.

Comment

I kill a bunch with my integral suppressed..22,just one behind the ear and if they move again put one in there lungs.just get downwind and stalk to 25yds.

Comment

22lr is what I would use. Get some ammo that is around 1,100fps. It will sound like a pellet gun or less. I just bought a Ruger Precision 22lr and bought the suppressor a few weeks ago. Just have to wait it out.
        22 mag and 17 are supersonic and won’t be truly suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
          I’ve considered that. But I’m over run with them. I’ve had the opportunity to shoot a pig every single sit so far. I’ve killed 6 and lost 3 arrows so far. Figured suppressed rimfire was MUCH cheaper.

Understood...I just love to shoot them with a bow.

I know JMar on here kills the crap out of them from a bow blind with a regular 22lr. Personally I love the 17HMR. I've killed them with a 17HMR to the light switch a couple of times myself. They are effective at close range as long as you do your job. Can't go wrong with any of them really. Put it in the ear and its "Good Night Irene!"

Comment

You are wasting time suppressing any rimfire that is supersonic. A .223 will sound the same suppressed and you’ll have a much higher kill probability by not using rimfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve considered that. But I’m over run with them. I’ve had the opportunity to shoot a pig every single sit so far. I’ve killed 6 and lost 3 arrows so far. Figured suppressed rimfire was MUCH cheaper.
              Does the blood and the dead pig or dying squealing bleeding pig kind of blow out your hunt no matter what you shoot it with? Pretty tough for a one shot drop in your tracks kind of kill from 40 yards with a suppressed rimfire

Shoot them in butt with blunt flu flu arrow. Easy to find and gets rid of them.

Seen six with suppressed 308 subsonic bolt gun killed before they ran. But those literally did drop and kick little or none.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                Unless you already have the suppressor and stamps and said rimfire you are wanting to use. Going that route would be WAY more expensive. Now, if your looking for an excuse to purchase that setup then a “pig gun” could be fictitiously justified in this case.
                I do have the can already. Already have a 22LR and a 17HMR. Just wondering if there was something e out there that I needed for the situation.

Comment

When I lived back home in Brazoria county during college and a couple years after I’d average 3-400 a year. Most all were killed with a 22 mag from point blank to 100 yards.

Spot and stalk, and over a feeder.

Never felt under gunned. Then again, that may or may not be what my dad would shoot deer with so I had no doubt of its capabilities.

Ear holes equal dead pigs no matter the cartridge though.

Comment

I do have the can already. Already have a 22LR and a 17HMR. Just wondering if there was something e out there that I needed for the situation.
                    I drop them regularly with a 17 HMR at a feeder setup 120 yds away. As long as you do you’re part they’ll fall in the their tracks. I have yet to have one get back up. It’s not as quiet as subsonic 22, but it’s still considerably quieter than a center fire suppressed. I can usually kill them 2-3 times a night at that feeder with the 17. I never get a second chance with the 223 or 6 Creed. I only shoot suppresses as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
                      In the trap they get a 22LR to the head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Yep--whatever ammo I happen to have at the time other than some of the "poof" stuff. Last one I shot was with CCI Velocitors

Comment

.17HMR to the ear hole is my favorite close range caliber

Comment

Ear hole and they collapse. Most ethical humane way to dispatch piggies.

Comment

You can get arrows and broadheads a lot cheaper on eBay than what you are apparently accustomed to spending.

Comment

Working...
                            X