He didn't make it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He didn't make it....

Something I've not been able to understand....

If a guy shoots a deer that travels say 40 yards (or whatever distance) before dying, when the guys is telling the story to his buddies afterward why does he say, "And he didn't make it 40 yards."?

The deer went 40 yards. Why not say, "And he didn't go 41 yards"? Or, "He didn't go 873 yards"?

Or maybe....."He only went 40 yards and piled up right there." Wouldn't that make more sense?

The whole "He didn't go" thing is kinda like a deer always being X and a half years old, no matter what day you're looking at him and what day he was born. Somehow it just became an accepted saying in the hunting world, whether it makes any sense or not, I guess.

I'm probably the only one that thinks about such things. So carry on with all the "He didn't go" talk. It just strikes me as odd every time.

I find it weird that they usually only fall in yards measured in multiples of 5. You really never hear anyone say whatever they shot only ran 23 yards or even 36 1/2. Seems like it's always right on the dot. Pretty sweet.

Comment

Slow news day??

Comment

I smell weed

Comment

Who the hell measures the distance? Just kind of eyeball it.

Comment

The last one I shot traveled 39.56 yards

Comment

haha....could not agree more. In Africa (my experience) if the animal is in the skinning shed it's cold beer time. It was a success. DRT or chased around all day it's in the shed.

Success is subjective in the high information age. Watch a show and your favorite hero gets it done with plenty of time to tell you what you need to buy to replicate his success.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                The last one I shot traveled 39.56 yards
                I saw the pics. Looked like 11/7 years, maybe older.

Comment

Also, our hands have fingertips but our toes don’t have toetips yet we can tiptoe?

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                    Also, our hands have fingertips but our toes don’t have toetips yet we can tiptoe?
                    See? Some sayings just don't make any sense.

Comment

First world problems…..dead is dead.

[emoji1662]

Comment

A 40 yard death dash on the place I hunt is like a mile...you can lose more blood get'n there & dragging them out than the deer did. I hate Starr co sometimes.

Comment

It's not about the distance the deer travels. It could be a long blood trail or a short one. It could be through thick, rough stuff or across a wheat field. Doesn't matter. It's just saying "he didn't go XX yards", when you really mean that's the distance the deer actually did travel after the shot to where he piled up.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETFdagAiqg"]Rut Daniels - Didn't Go 20 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Shorter the distance the better the shot according to hunting shows on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X