Commuter Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter Cars

Looking at the possibility of driving up to 160 miles per day. It’s not everyday but several per week. I was looking at Toyota Yaris, Nissan Sentra. What others are good to look at? I want basic feature and high mpg

Ford Focus or Fiesta
    Mazda 3
    Any small Honda or Toyota

Comment

For the record I expect to be made fun of for what I am about to say......... I was in the same boat as you about 6 years ago. I wouldnt rule out anything that gets less MPG's but is less desireable so you can get it for a cheaper price. My example is that I was looking for a good commuter car that still was considered relatively nice and had some nice features. Everything I was looking at was about 18 or 19k. As I was looking I realized that there were a ton of low mileage Lincoln Town Cars out there for less than 10k. I got mine for $8500 which was about $10k less than the other cars I was looking at. My lincoln gets well over 20 mpg on the highway but for ease of numbers lets say it just got 20 MPG. My whole point is that if you find the right situation it might make more sense to buy something that doesnt get as good of MPG's that is significantly cheaper. I can go a long way on $10k and at 20 MPG's.

Comment

160 is what my commute is everyday. I am in a Toyota Corolla. The gas mileage is of course very good. The reliability exceeds being Toyota. The dislikes are it seems like if I drive over a leaf something gets torn up (plastic) something or another. This is mostly my fault because I am use to driving my Tundra and don't need to worry about dodging every little thing in the road doing 75 mph. Comfort isn't great but very manageable and I'll trade that for the reliability any day.

Comment

honda civic. we happened to be in my buddies when a hog hunt broke out and she took those pastures like a champ, nothing a little power washing the next morning couldnt handle.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            honda civic. we happened to be in my buddies when a hog hunt broke out and she took those pastures like a champ, nothing a little power washing the next morning couldnt handle.
            I had a manager who lived in Onalaska and worked in The Woodlands. He drove a Civic 5 days a week. He also swerved to dodge a hog one night, jumped the ditch, and landed in his front yard. Turns out there was no hog and he was just super drunk, but the car still took it.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
              I had a manager who lived in Onalaska and worked in The Woodlands. He drove a Civic 5 days a week. He also swerved to dodge a hog one night, jumped the ditch, and landed in his front yard. Turns out there was no hog and he was just super drunk, but the car still took it.
              haha, my buddy always says when i make fun of him, "that civic dont play son."

Comment

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan that gets about 33-34MPG. I bought it used 4 years ago with 50K miles, put another 100K on it since then. Had to replace the AC around 130K, other than brakes and oil changes that’s about it.

Comment

We have owned 5 Different kias that were all used for work, great mileage.. Kinda partial to the Kia Optima Turbo, pretty nice cars

Comment

Commuter Cars

I had a base model VW Jetta 5 speed manual (2017). I consistently got 40 MPG on the highway sometimes more depending on speed. Around 35 in town. It was a great car with plenty of room. Just sold due to high resale value and working from home now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a Kia Optima 3-4 years ago when I was making the drive from Wylie/Royse City to Denton 6-7 days a week. It’s been well worth the gas mileage. Even with payment and insurance, it was cheaper than driving my truck every day. I can’t stand driving a car though. I always joke about borrowing someone’s boat so I can just back it on into the lake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan that gets about 33-34MPG. I bought it used 4 years ago with 50K miles, put another 100K on it since then. Had to replace the AC around 130K, other than brakes and oil changes that’s about it.
                        Elantra was my choice for when I was had long commutes. Have had two and now my daughters are driving them and neither has had an issue. One is a 2010, the other a 2014. Great cars.

Comment

If saving money is the ultimate goal, you need to be sure and do the math on what you're getting. I wouldn't buy NEW and I wouldn't buy European.
                          Never made sense to me when people finance a NEW car to save money. Gotta look at total cost of ownership and cost per mile. There is more to it than what you spend in fuel even though that's a big part of it.

I had a job for 7 years with a 110 mile round trip commute. Was costing me about $600 a month in fuel for my truck. Add in wear items like tires, brakes, and oil changes on top of that when you are doing ~2500 miles a month. (truck was paid for)

Bought my 06 Focus in 08 for $8800. Came out to a $200 payment and about $200 a month in Fuel. Wear items are generally cheaper and go longer on a car compared to a pickup too. Tires are cheaper and last longer, oil change is cheaper, insurance is cheaper, etc.

Comment

I drive my Prius with a smile on my face. 48mpg and right at 100 miles/day. Keeps the miles off my truck also. I catch a little ***** from the guys at work b/c I work Oil/Gas. Just didn't make sense to drive my diesel that gets 14 mpg.

Comment

Look at the Kia & Hyundai line. 100,000 mile power train warranty, 60,000 on everything else. 135,000 on my Sorrento and the only thing I've done besides normal service is a generator.

Comment

Working...
                              X