Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the truck.

Comment

Do a quick search on YouTube for RV wreck. Almost all of them are half ton trucks towing a bumper pull RV. I’m not saying it can’t be done safely, but the odds of an accident go up with a half ton truck and a bumper pull.

Comment

We did the opposite. 24 bumper bull (30 foot stem to stern) and had a half ton. The half ton pulled it fine but as mentioned, wind and hills killed it. Truck was a 2015 chevy with 6.2 and air bags

Ended up going back to 3/4 and got f250 with the 7.3 gas. I can drag the travel trailer, tractor or 21' boat at 80 if I want now and not worry about it. Pulling out into traffic isnt a problem either

Comment

Pulling with a half ton is never the problem. Stopping is always the problem.

Comment

Depends on where you plan on taking it. I used my wife's Yukon XL (Denali motor rated for 9,000 lbs) to pull mine... didn't have an issue until we hit Colorado. Huge mistake and I'll be hearing about the $4k it costs me on replacement differentials till the end of time. [emoji57]

I have a 2500 and never eveb felt it pulling the trailer up the same mountain canyon. The V-8 was struggling to get 40 mph while the Ram diesel did 80 with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladybluearm View Post
              We have a 25 ft apex ultra lite,pull it with a 5.7 Toyota Tundra. Pulls great,ok gas mileage.
              said no one ever.

Comment

Pulling it will not be an issue, but any wind will not be your friend.

Comment

Pulling my trailer with my Tundra has never been an issue. I can’t remember if it’s a 28 footer or a 32 footer and too lazy to go look right now but the secret to pulling one is to have an equalizer hitch and sway bars.

You might think that you're redneck
                  But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

I get 7.5 - 8mpg pulling a 32ft 7500# trailer with my 2011 F150. High winds really suck and I take it slow. Doable but high winds and hills will cause gas mileage to drop into the 6-7mpg range. Get a good weight distribution hitch with 4 way sway control. Air bags are a plus.

My previous trailer was 28ft and I thought it towed really well. Would have no concerns with 24-28ft trailer. When my oldest graduates in 2 years I'll probably downsize back to this range.

Comment

I pull a 28ft trailer with my 2013 F150. Have not had any problems but wind is definitely noticeable. Putting the truck in tow/haul mode makes a huge difference. Fastest Ill go is 65mph. Sway bars are worth their weight in gold. Took it out 4 times last year and 3 so far this year. Longest trip was 8 hours to Arkansas.

Comment

Pulling a 24-ft with a 2012 F150 ecoboost. Burns gas real fast like lol

Comment

24’ with a 2015 eco boost… I don’t have any issues.

Do I travel 75-80 mph? Nope. But I’ll regularly do 65-70 depending on the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The most important part of this equation is not the pulling but the stopping! Nothing else should be be discussed! They do make smaller, lighter trailers though ;-)

Comment

I pulled this rockwood Roo 233s with my raptor and was maxed out. A regular half ton would have been fine. Keep an eye on your payload and remember listed travel trailer tongue weights are dry weights. My 6k on trailer had right over 1k lbs of tongue weight when fully loaded!

Comment

I have no problem stopping with the truck pictured above. OEM trailer braking system, OEM sway control and a good WDH make a huge difference. Most mistakes are driver error IMO. I see them rolling down the road every trip out.

FYI, one with the formulas if you care to use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS of towing capacity.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24661754

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS of towing capacity showing formulas.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24661753

Comment

Working...