Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody want to go DIY CO public land elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will retire June 10, 2022. I will be in some western state next fall. I'm sorry I can't this year. I wish you good luck this year.

Comment

Am hoping to go 3rd Rifle Season.

Comment

Dang I wish

Good luck and take lots of pics to share

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          I have been to Unit 71 & 711 6 of the last 7 years and won't be able to go with our group this year (opening week). I would like to consider your invite, but would like some additional info. If you'd rather handle questions via text, my cell is 832-six 5 one- 9six8six.

Questions I'd have:
          Unit # and general camp locale
          Packing in or drive up to your camp?
          How many in the group confirmed?
          Are there any smokers in the group (I'd pass on the invite if there were, just too much invested to chase wapiti to give them another edge)
          Have you hunted the area previously and seen much elk at that time of September?
          What is the elevation?

Thank you

Text sent

Comment

Sorry guys trying to clean up my PM’s to accept more messages.
            Last edited by 2050z; 08-21-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
              I hunted those units 1998 thru 2012 without missing a year. Good times!! Avatar picture is County road S looking over Glade Lake.
              We probably hunt with the same feller. Our camp was right around the other side of Glade Lake. A tall dude with an Italian last name 😉

Comment

I would love to take you up on this, do not think my KCA battle will be defeated. I even have horses and gear. Great jesture

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  We probably hunt with the same feller. Our camp was right around the other side of Glade Lake. A tall dude with an Italian last name 😉
                  Did you get my text?

Comment

What type of hunt do you plan to do? Drive to camp? Horseback? Pack in? What do you plan to sleep in? What elevation do you plan to camp? Are you wanting to hunt together as a team (caller/shooter)? Are you/other hunters in decent shape? I spent 3 weeks up high last year. It was tough hunting with all the extra people in the woods.

Comment

Archery - I hunt with a recurve
                      base/possible spike camp
                      Walk in
                      It's just me going. I went by myself last year.
                      I have plenty of gear for base camp including large two room cabin tent.
                      Getting the final gear for doing a spike camp
                      It's public land so the hunting can be hard. That does not bother me.
                      Yes I am in shape to climb up and down the mountain.
                      Not an experienced caller at all.

cleared out PM's PM if you want to go.
                      Last edited by 2050z; 08-21-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                        Man, I’d love to go, but I have elk at my no fence ranchito in RS. I’ve got 5 or so coming in on a regular basis. Best of luck in your endeavor....

Man, that ain't elk huntin!

Elk hunting is having to breath through every pore in/on your body, aching legs that can't go any further and just one more mountain.

Done that a couple of times. The best place for my flatlander health was south of Trinity. A road crossed out of Co into NM and back into Co. I forget the unit and road, but it was basically flat, except for 1000'(or so it seemed) cliff/ledge/ridge that dropped off the flats.

Went into the Flattops once, it was nice and one place out of Steamboat. Sure wished I was fit enough and $$$$enough, it'd be tempting, but I have neither.

So, here's a hardy good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

If I were 20 years younger, and had my health like I did 20 years ago, I'd take you up on it Timm! Heck, I coulda carried you up the mountains too!

Comment

I respect you fellas that do this. Please do a live hunt and let us tag along

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                              Did you get my text?
                              Sorry, just responded tonight. Will give you a call tomorrow if that's ok, with some questions.

Comment

I am very intrested but cant get a pm to go through.

Comment

Working...
                                X