No announcement yet.

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about to throw out this bottle of Garrison's. It just does not compare. Of the others I just bought, the Basil Hayden's is pretty good, followed by the Jefferson's, and the Angel's Envy is out of this world good.

Comment

40 Creek

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        I'm about to throw out this bottle of Garrison's. It just does not compare. Of the others I just bought, the Basil Hayden's is pretty good, followed by the Jefferson's, and the Angel's Envy is out of this world good.
        Without pics it didn't happen.

Comment

Dang, i need to get out more, ive never heard of half this stuff. My brothershowed me 40 creek and ive always just had that haha

Comment

Crown reserve, knob hill and makers mark. Always in stock at my house and at the lease

Comment

Sippin on a lil makers myself right now.

Comment

Great thread. I don't understand all of these Texas brands - I had the TX whiskey and it was good, for the price. The others, like Garrison, look too d**n expensive. No way they could be that good.

To me it's all about taste vs. price. Eagle Rare used to be a $22 bottle (I remember), now it has shot into the 30s. The secret got out, somehow :-).

Basil: For nice occasions (as in, what a crazy day at work, isn't it nice that I made it home alive?)
                Blanton's: For a really nice occasion.
                Eagle Rare: Great value but the secret is out.
                Four Roses Small Batch: I have heard the single barrel is too inconsistent, don't know for sure. Good value.
                Rowan's: I had one great bottle, one bad bottle. Go figure.
                Noah's Mill (big brother to Rowan's) - Good but I have had better for the money.
                Buffalo Trace: I don't care for this one. Odd since there are others from that distillery that I like.
                Bulleit: Good, esp for the price.
                Bulleit Rye: Really good, for the price.
                Old Overholt: Good in an old fashioned.
                Knob: Meh. Take it or leave it.
                Maker's 49: Yes, please.
                Maker's: At a wedding or other occasion with an open bar? Absolutely. Not my first, second, or third choice at the liquor store though.
                Angel's Envy: I recently returned from a week in Asia where Scotch was the only thing available. Upon arrival to DFW this was the first whiskey I found. Man it was good.

Interesting picture of how various whiskeys are related to each other:

Comment

Originally posted by sckiller View Post
                  Without pics it didn't happen.

Way ahead of you. See post 92.

Originally posted by PointyStickAg View Post
                  Great thread. I don't understand all of these Texas brands - I had the TX whiskey and it was good, for the price. The others, like Garrison, look too d**n expensive. No way they could be that good.

To me it's all about taste vs. price. Eagle Rare used to be a $22 bottle (I remember), now it has shot into the 30s. The secret got out, somehow :-).

Basil: For nice occasions (as in, what a crazy day at work, isn't it nice that I made it home alive?)
                  Blanton's: For a really nice occasion.
                  Eagle Rare: Great value but the secret is out.
                  Four Roses Small Batch: I have heard the single barrel is too inconsistent, don't know for sure. Good value.
                  Rowan's: I had one great bottle, one bad bottle. Go figure.
                  Noah's Mill (big brother to Rowan's) - Good but I have had better for the money.
                  Buffalo Trace: I don't care for this one. Odd since there are others from that distillery that I like.
                  Bulleit: Good, esp for the price.
                  Bulleit Rye: Really good, for the price.
                  Old Overholt: Good in an old fashioned.
                  Knob: Meh. Take it or leave it.
                  Maker's 49: Yes, please.
                  Maker's: At a wedding or other occasion with an open bar? Absolutely. Not my first, second, or third choice at the liquor store though.
                  Angel's Envy: I recently returned from a week in Asia where Scotch was the only thing available. Upon arrival to DFW this was the first whiskey I found. Man it was good.

Interesting picture of how various whiskeys are related to each other:

Awesome summary. Thanks for the chart as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CWaller30 View Post
                    Used to only drink crown until I discovered 40 creek.
                    This!!!!

CROWN and TX are pretty delicious too. 40 CREEK is my go to

Comment

Looks like I may need to venture out more.

Comment

Originally posted by sckiller View Post
                        [ATTACH]712692[/ATTACH]

Pictures or it didn't happen or something similar.
                        That Abraham Bowmen/Bowmen Brothers is my favorite whiskey at the moment.. Good stuff..

Old cowboy i work with always says you can't drink whiskey until the first frost.. LOL so i guess I've got a while till i need some more

Comment

I think a lot of people on this thread don't get the difference between a bourbon and a whiskey. Bourbon can't be colored or flavored and has to be aged in first time charred barrels. Everything else is just a whiskey. Most with coloring and other spirits added

Comment

love me some Wild Turkey 101

Comment

Tried some Bookers tonight off this thread and it is delicious. New favorite bourbon! Giving Angels Envy and had Specs order me a bottle of outlaw. Will give reviews as tried

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                                I think a lot of people on this thread don't get the difference between a bourbon and a whiskey. Bourbon can't be colored or flavored and has to be aged in first time charred barrels. Everything else is just a whiskey. Most with coloring and other spirits added
                                Very true. Ingredients of straight bourbon are corn, barley, wheat and water, nothing else. If anything is added other than those ingredients, then it cannot say on the label Straight Bourbon. Barrels are used once then sold to other distilleries. Found all this out at Garrison Bros. Distillery this past weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X