No announcement yet.

Home inspector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same idea, find a job I could do when I wanted after I retired. Like mentioned above most realtors have "their" inspector and it's tough to break into the market. My goal was one inspection a week. The E&O insurance, website fees, advertising, Continuing Education, Association fees, etc. were more than I could afford. To TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) inspectors are problem children and their policies reflect it. My license is now expired. I actually made/make more money doing new building inspections and home warranty inspections (no license required). I have a couple of textbooks I'd sell cheap if you're interested. Good luck!

Comment

Been thinking of this as a side business as well. Down here in Harlingen, TX. we see some hurricane action and home inspections are needed.
      Is this an all on line course? Does the TSTC or Corpus Community college offer any courses?

Comment

Really not that hard to get into the realtors offices. I started out making visits in the real estate offices in the mornings. I would take a box of donuts with my card taped to it and put a card in each realtors mailbox. I would go in and introduce myself to the person sitting at the counter and ask for permission to pass the cards out. Most times I didn’t even talk about inspections. We would talk golf, hunting, sports. Before long they would ask me about my inspection services. That’s when I would go in depth about my business. I would get an inspection or two from that office and then it picked up from there just from the realtors talking to one another. In February I would buy a couple dozen chocolate cover strawberries and wrap them individually and set them on the desk of the female realtors that used me. My business grew from there. You just have to keep up the routine for a few months and the work will come. As I stated above you do not work for the realtor you work for your client. A good realtor wants a good honest inspector because if you miss something they are the first person called. They don’t want to be drug into court because the inspector sugar coated his funding because he didn’t want to lose realtor referrals. Just follow your standards of practice and you will be ok.

Comment

Check the Texas licensing requirements and make sure you do not need a TON of apprentice hours before being able to do home inspections on your own, which can be tough to work out. Most existing inspection business owners don't want to apprentice someone who is going to turn around and take potential business from them.

Comment

Just posted on a deficient property I purchased. Remember one important thing. You will affect the lives of the I individuals purchasing the home. Whatever you do, do it well and know that what you are doing will affect those people for many years. Good luck! We have several guys in the department that do it and make a good side income from it. Plus, if you hold a good rep at work, you don’t have to convince those guys. They will usuallly use and refer a trusted brother.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
              Ya, there are costs associated with any business. If your not doing enough volume to justify paying less then 5k annually in any business, you probably should rethink your model and make adjustments.
              So I've thought about this too. I'm a onsite Superintendent for a GC, and would be doing this as a side gig. Not sure I would be able to do enough to make that justification.

Comment

Really good feedback from all of you and I appreciate it. The reason I am using AHIT, is because it is mostly on-line and 8 days in person covers all of the hours needed in the state of Texas for work experience/apprenticeship. I am not worried about making contacts and getting the business, I’ve been in the area a long time and have made a habit of not burning bridges.

Comment

In.

I've thought about doing the same when I retire. I'm 8 years away still but need to supplement some of my loss due to retirement. I'd only need 1-2 jobs a week and I'd be happy.

Comment

I'm full-time in DFW. I stay busy and have to turn down work most weeks. I would guess the market near RR awould be the same way once you get going. I used AHIT when I did the training over 10 yrs ago.

It takes 2 yrs+ to really get rolling especially if you are part time. The insurance and fees are really nothing compared to most businesses since there is very little overhead, but if you don't pay attention to what you are doing and write bad reports you can be in a world of financial hurt. There are a lot of clowns out there doing home inspections. I've seen their reports.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about getting started. Also join TPREIA and go to a monthly meeting in your area.

Comment

For those of you who do this for a living, thank you so much for the input thus far. Do you/did you write a business plan before you got started and continue to keep it up? My father has started several very successful construction companies and he has given me some ideas for one but the difference is that he has been doing the same thing for 50 years so he an idea of what the expected income, expenses look like. At this point, to me it’s purely speculative and really depends on how much I am able to market.

Would you be willing to share what you’ve created if you have one. Obviously specifics can be omitted.

Thank you

Bobby

Comment

I've had my license for a little over 2 years. It's been tough for me.
                        I started my company went to real estate offices. Donuts,tacos, and etc. I have taught classes for realtors. Paid to be a connection partner. Sponsored events... You name it I have probably done it. Did this for the first year, and decided to go work for another inspection co.
                        Had to go work for a big company that was an hour away. All the local ones wanted me to go hustle other towns for them. Plus the locals wanted more of a cut then the farther company.
                        Farther company keep me kinda busy. When I started to market around my town I realized they would not help me market since I was to far away for other inspectors in the company to benefit. I understand and left them. ( I highly recommend starting off working for another company. You will learn so much more working with guys that have been doing this for years. Books can only teach you so much).
                        I'm back with my company now. It's slow and looking for another job until I can get my traction.
                        Funny thing is I've done over 300 inspection. Not one time have I had a complaint from clients or realtors. They all said I've done a wonderful job explaining and such.
                        The best inspection are draw inspection...
                        I met a guy in my town that went to school with me
                        We started about the same time. He is rockin and rolling from what he is telling me. Other guys I've keep in touch with from classes of other towns are all doing about what I'm doing.
                        If you have any questions about the process and what to expect on the test feel free to ask me some questions.
                        I have my WDI license and septic license also.
                        Right now I'm getting my OSHA card for construction. I here being a safety guy is a good gig. (Anybody hiring)?
                        Remember the hardest thing about this job is not becoming an inspector. It's what happens after.
                        Hope this helps.

Comment

I went through AHIT 3 years ago. Did 55 inspections my first year, 120 last year and just started year 3. I’m from the area I started my business in which is beneficial to me as I do very little advertising. I’m lucky to have around 30 realtors I know personally through other walks of life and They keep me busy. I work almost strictly on referral. It’s slow growth but I’m good with it as I have some other side gigs and am in for the long haul. Like Jfran said, once you do start advertising just stay consistent. AHIt has pretty good book on advertising and they spend some time on it in the class. I post every inspection to Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook stories... this is free and some of the best advertising you can do. Once you get established, your work will reflect your growth. Good luck. I’m in the lake Conroe area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys, is there any way around the 2,000 hrs are whatever the total is required under another licensed inspector? Did everyone that is licensed go this route?

Comment

Home inspector

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                              Guys, is there any way around the 2,000 hrs are whatever the total is required under another licensed inspector? Did everyone that is licensed go this route?

Yea you just take the class through AHIT or champions. They no longer require the apprentice ship. It’s still an option though.

After the class, pass state and national test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I didn’t do the 2000 hours-( that was for licensed inspector I believe) I did professional Inspector which didn’t require and apprenticeship. When I took my course 15 years ago I just did the modules at home went In and took an open book exam on each module. You will pass all the module test with a 100 then after all the modules are complete and you pass all your open book exams they send the test results to the state and they qualify you to take the State exam. Go to the exam prep class. As soon as you take the exam prep go take your state exam. The courses are all about repetition. You will feel like your covering the same info over and over but that’s how you retain it. After you pass the star exam sign up for the field experience class-( which may be included now) that’s where you learn how to actually do the inspection once you are at the house. After you take that class you will feel much more confident in actually knowing what you are doing. Best advise I can give you is put the phone up during your inspection. Getting distracted will get you in trouble. Once I start inspecting I don’t like to be taken out of my routine. Sometimes your client will be present and asking questions that’s the only time I get out of my routine.

Comment

Working...
                                X