Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    Unit 34a.

We got here to find snow in the Santa ritas. Hunting water isn't an option. Roads are good. We started gassing high and quickly moved to lower elevation. Had two stalks on javelina yesterday. Today started with a flat tire and a busted rim. How do you get a nail in a tire at 6000 feet? This afternoon 2e hunted desert country. Lots of sign but no pigs. Tomorrow we will glass the washes and canyons in Southern Coronado NF. Pics when I can spool up the tablet.

We were finding them filtering on to the sunny side of the slopes in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I tried to post updates but I kept losing service and all my verbiage so I gave up and decided to do one post at the end. Still working on pics. Spoiler alert, there ain't any of dead animals. However, if this were rifle hunting we would have three javelina, a seriously wide and high 3x without much mass and a cues that would have probably gone 95-100. But it wasn't so we got nothin'. We saw javelina the first and second day. After we located them on the second day (on the sunny slopes as Sparkles said). we thought we had them pegged. We couldn't relocate them. We walked and glassed. Drove and glassed. And finally walked the draws. We hunted rolling hills, high, low and the desert. Plenty of sign but could not locate them. Talk at the restaurants and such had other hunters saying the same thing. With all the water, and half the night lit up by the almost full moon, they just weren't moving. I know for next year we will plan to draw javelina tags in 35B or one of the more eastern boarder units. 34A is supposed to be a trophy Cues unit and from what we say I'd say it is. We had fun anyway. And both teenage young'uns went a whole five days without attempting to murder the other one. I call that a plus.

If you are hunting 34A PM me and I will give you some inside info.

Finally, a special shout out to D & M Tire in Sierra Vista. On the first day we "acquired" a nail in a tire on the way to glass high. We also damaged a rim coming down. He could have really stuck it to us on the rim replacement and tire. He had a Ford used rim that he sold me at a decent price. He also patched the tire with the nail hole that was just on the shoulder. I have nothing against the big box tire stores and use them regularly, but they would not have patched the tire. I would have had to but another AT tire to replace it. He also had his service manager show us some places to scout and he gave me some pins for my on x. As an out of state hunter I was expecting to be stretched high and strung out but we got out of there for a decent deal. Pics, such as they are, when I can.

Comment

I feel your pain! Got back last night, we were further East than you and mainly targeting mule deer, but still no deer down. Could have killed one with a rifle. I got a javelina on the second to last day. We saw four mtn lions though so that was neat..

Anything you would change about your hunt for next year if you were to repeat it? Talking about AZ desert hunting in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like yall got to see some pretty country.

Comment

I would Hunt further east and south. But if I were solely targeting trophy cues, I'd go back to 34a and probably get up in the wilderness away from the roads. We didn't have a lot of hunters but there were a lot of 4 wheelers around because of new years I guess.

We had javelina sign all over but just couldn't find them again after the second day.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              Sounds like yall got to see some pretty country.
              Nice country, nice people.

Comment

In for this...good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                  Coues
                  Thanks Simek and, yes. Someone needs to go through my posts and correct all the Coues misspellings. I've always left the O out for some reason or another. That probably won't change as I'm old and set in my ways. They will just have to change the spelling to fit me.

Comment

Working...
                  X