No announcement yet.

Alternatives to .243 for youth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've still killed more deer with a .243 as a kid than all of my other guns combined. Now, i pretty much use my AR15 for doe duty when I'm not bowhunting.

But, my recommendation would be a 7mm/08 with managed recoil loads. You do not want him developing a flinch. It's hard to get rid of if they do.

I love the .243. But, I understand your reservations.

Comment

A buddy of mine always shot a .257 Roberts growing up then switched to a .243 shootin 100 grain softpoints. All the deer he ever shot with it went straight down and I use the same for hogs and its always done just fine. When I was 11 I shot my first deer with a .270WSM. I never noticed the recoil. Never have on breathing targets. They all kick about the same as far as I can tell.

Comment

hell the best thing you can do is actually get him shooting a gun with a silencer. many people react to the sound as much as the recoil.

Comment

6.8 spc

Comment

25-06 is the best all around whitetail caliber for Texas deer. All these crazy calibers being tossed at you, remember the cost and availability of ammo. Remington 100gr corlock in 25-06 is cheap, readily available and knocks them down. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
              25-06 is the best all around whitetail caliber for Texas deer. All these crazy calibers being tossed at you, remember the cost and availability of ammo. Remington 100gr corlock in 25-06 is cheap, readily available and knocks them down. Good luck.
              ^This. OR my son at 9, now 10 shoots a 270 with a 130 grain bullet. This way as he get bigger and older we can go to 150 grain if needed. The 130gr is the same as a 243 .

Comment

My daughter has a 7mm08 Youth model by Savage with the Accu Trigger. We had it Mag-Na-Ported and then she picked out a dip for the stock. Its a tack driver with no recoil, just noisy, so where ear protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                  one of my favorite rounds, but still has a bit of a kick, its just the 30-06 cartridge with a military grain bullet. I love the 117gr..

Comment

.243 is plenty take your kid to the range have them practice a lot and shoot vmaxs shoot them in the neck be done no tracking involved

Comment

.243 Win is enough gun for anything in Texas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        What is it and how much. I don't need a youth model, he's big enough now to shoot a normal size gun.
                        Remington Model 7, laminated stock, Leupold (I think) rings and base, one or two boxes of the Remington Reduced Recoil loads. Got it for my son when he was 5 or 6. He just likes his 22-250 better. $700.

Comment

Here's her gun
                          Attached Files

Comment

What does this mean? thx

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                            one of my favorite rounds, but still has a bit of a kick, its just the 30-06 cartridge with a military grain bullet. I love the 117gr..

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                              hell the best thing you can do is actually get him shooting a gun with a silencer. many people react to the sound as much as the recoil.
                              x1000000000

Comment

7-08 or 6.5 creed. I'm partial to the 7mm though.

Comment

Working...
                                X