Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost drowned when I was 14 in the Ouachita River. The man who saved me passed away last week at 86-years of age.

Chased a robbery suspect and he pointed his gun at me but dropped it before as I was about tonoull the trigger.

Several guns pulled on me during some undercover operations but thankfully ....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      2002, Bist Hazari Afghanistan

Hajii’s staked a woman out in the courtyard of an old apartment building. She has been talking to us. They tied her up stuck a flare up her ****. The smell was bad....boiled her guts.

I was the senior Sgt in our Sniper platoon and I wanted to get those suckers. I walked us right into a bad spot. The only reason I’m here is because they couldn’t shoot and we had good optics. We killed 17 Hajii’s that afternoon and nobody got a scratch. I figured we were all dying that afternoon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wow

Comment

I thought I was the only one living on the edge. Lol

Comment

I told my story of when i nearly drowned in the other thread about near death experiences, but another time that i nearly died, was when i flipped my tractor. Got thrown over the hood, head first and landed right in front of the tractor as it came crashing down the hill. I barely missed smashing my head on the bucket, and i was barely able to roll out of the way before the tractor smashed me. Tractor crashes into a dead tree, whole top falls out of it crashes right beside me, but only little sticks hit me. I get up, take a few steps an realize that my leg doesn't want to work. I look down and my shorts are completely soaked in blood, running down my leg and into my shoe. The throttle on the tractor had gone through my groin and ruptured my femoral artery against my femor bone. Long story short, by the time i got in the car headed to the hospital, God had clotted it up and it looked like grape jelly hanging out of my leg. Doctors didn't clean it, sew it, or touch it at all, and after a few days sent me home with a compression wrap. God had saved me again.

Comment

1. 10 yrs. old, me and a friend of mine were pulled out to sea by undertow in the Gulf. Mom was on the beach, screaming, and a couple guys swam out to get us. Then it seemed like we were a LONG way out there.

2. Two years ago, my ATV rolled on me into a flowing creek on my property and I was alone. Luckily, the water wasn't another foot deeper and I wound up on my side with the ATV laying on me. I wrestled out from under it, righted the bike and went straight home. Pretty shook up after that.

Comment

Which time? I don't know a way to measure that, and there have been so many times. Every day is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
                Had a guy stick a pistol in my chest on the golf course because he thought that my brother-in-law stole his golf ball that went in the creek we were near. A fight pursed and while on the ground and gaining control of the gun, he pulled the trigger firing the gun just under my chin. Luckily the empty cartridge stayed lodged in the gun so it wouldn't fire again. Got control of the gun a few seconds later and choked him out until he wet his pants. Had it not been for my buddy who was with us, and got me to let him go, I had full intentions of him never seeing the light of day again. Come to find out, not only did he have a gun in his golf bag, but he also had a bunch of meth. Needless to say, he wasn't in his right mind. This was 19 years ago in Mesquite, TX. Haven't returned to that golf course since that day.

Now this is wild! Dang man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
                  Had a guy stick a pistol in my chest on the golf course because he thought that my brother-in-law stole his golf ball that went in the creek we were near. A fight pursed and while on the ground and gaining control of the gun, he pulled the trigger firing the gun just under my chin. Luckily the empty cartridge stayed lodged in the gun so it wouldn't fire again. Got control of the gun a few seconds later and choked him out until he wet his pants. Had it not been for my buddy who was with us, and got me to let him go, I had full intentions of him never seeing the light of day again. Come to find out, not only did he have a gun in his golf bag, but he also had a bunch of meth. Needless to say, he wasn't in his right mind. This was 19 years ago in Mesquite, TX. Haven't returned to that golf course since that day.
                  Just seeing this one. I assume that was at Mesquite Municipal? At least that’s what it was named back in the day. If I’m not mistaken I think that’s still the only golf course in Mesquite. I was playing that course quite a bit back in those days too.

That’s a crazy story....especially for back then that’s for sure. Probably wouldn’t surprise me to hear something like that happening there nowadays unfortunately. 🤨

Comment

Afghanistan, 2004. Had multiple encounters with a PKM and walked through a mine field for two days while documenting remaining munitions in destroyed vehicles. Insurgents were making ied's from the leftover explosives/munitions.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ejected from ATV at high speed. Separated sternum and collapsed lung. At least, I thought I was about to die when I came too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What is the closest you have come to death?

In high school I was walking out of the deer woods without a light. Kid in another stand I was walking by thought I was a deer and he shot at me and missed. It was well after shooting light. I don’t know he was hunting and vice versa. Thank God he was a bad shot.
                        Last edited by Full Throttle; 05-04-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

May8, 2020. Heart attack. 99 percent blockage of “the widow maker”

Comment

I was taking my younger brother duck hunting one morning when I was still in high school. We left the boat launch before daylight like we had done many times before and I knew the area well enough to run without a spot light for a ways. We rolled down to where I would have to turn into a small cut going off the main canal so I reached down to grab my Qbeam so I could see and it took me a second to find it on the floor of the boat. When I finally grabbed the Qbeam and turned it on we were doing about 30mph and going through the middle of some pilings left sticking about 4 feet out of the water from where a camp had once been. We never touched a piling somehow, I'll never forget that light going on and seeing what I was sure was my end only feet in front of me.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              I was diagnosed with cancer and given approximately 2 weeks left to live. That was in 1991.
                              Wow, incredible.

Comment

June 14, 2018

I got up at 1:32 am to use the bathroom. I remember looking at the clock on the way to the restroom. I was very tired and I ran into the bathroom door jam. I remember hitting my head, rubbing it and thinking to myself "that's gonna hurt in the morning." I got back in bed knowing that I had to be at work the next morning at 7 am.

At 2:17 am my wife heard me making a strange noise. She thought I was snoring and tried to get me to roll over. I didn't respond so she tried to roll me over again, still nothing. As she got up to turn on the light, my daughter was coming across the house from her bedroom asking her mom what that noise was. My wife told her it was me and that she couldn't wake me. Once they turned the light on, they realized I was unresponsive and in bad shape. They grabbed me and slid me off the bed. My wife called 911 and was instructed to start CPR. They are both trained in CPR and knew what to do. My wife started working on me, my daughter went outside to wait for the Fire Department.

When EMS got there, they found me still unresponsive with my wife performing CPR. They took over and started working me. They hooked me up to the monitor and it showed I was in V-Fib. They shocked me, resumed CPR, and kept working me. At 2:30 am I regained consciousness as they packaged me for transport to the hospital. I remember saying "everyone to slow down, I am ok, let me catch my breath." I also remember having conversations with the medics in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

At the hospital I was in and out for a while, I never lost my pulse again but I was fatigued and lethargic. The next morning I woke up surrounded by family and friends.

Over the next few weeks I met with a couple of different cardiologists. They ran me thru the ringer... Cardiac MRI, Cath test (morning of the event), 2 brain MRIs, 2 Sleep Studies. Finally, they came to the conclusion that I was very lucky to be alive because they couldn't find anything wrong with any of my organs, heart, brain... nothing. On August 1, 2018 a pacemaker/defibrillator was installed. Dr says it's the safety net for the next time. They know it will happen again but just don't know when.

I'm very thankful that it happened the early morning of the 14th. If it would have been the next night, I would be dead. I was scheduled to be on-duty at the fire station and sleeping in my own quarters by myself....

Comment

Working...
                                X