Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

27 years ago, my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. I asked, "whose is it?"

Comment

Was getting ready to terminate a 480v 115 Kva transformer and was cutting the feeders with a bandsaw when the blade crossed the phases and blew up in my face. Come to find out someone hooked up the wrong breaker on the line side and had it turned on. Luckily I had safety glasses and gloves on. The glasses were full of molten copper and the gloves saved the skin on my hands. The bandsaw was shot. Angry was an understatement as to what I was, and I was sent home with pay for the day.

Comment

What is the closest you have come to death?

Massive aortic dissection in 2014,Drs gave me a less than 1 percent chance of making it through surgery. Dissection was 8 cm and full length of the aorta all the way to the iliac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by BDKeeling; 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Was hit by a car when on a bike that put a small crack in my sternum. Walked away from it and was taken to ER.

Missed by a few inches with buckshot by a police officer that thought I was a thug with a gun at my job when there were about 6 of us playing airsoft in the shop. O stepped out to reload and get cover. Never saw him and he fired when my back was towards him. He saw a plastic airsoft gun on private property and assumed I was robbing the place. I was very lucky. Only thing that saved me was he was in the parking lot on other side of chain link fence and it was a pretty good distance....and he's still a cop. Buckshot went through the tin on warehouse near plenty of combustible material like propane racks for forklifts. White guys get shot at too lol

Been robbed at gunpoint guess I'm cursed and lucky

Comment

I almost drowned pulling my little brother out of the deep end of a pool. Lifeguard saved us both.

Comment

I've had a few close calls.

1)Jumped in the water twice as a child with no flotation and no ability to swim. Saved by dad once. Self rescued by pulling myself to the bank with hydrilla the second time.

2)Duck hunting in high school in an oxbow off the Neches River. I waded out to get a duck and stepped off a drop off. My chest waders filled and drug me down. The only thing that saved me was finding a laydown to climb out on.

3) In '03 during the invasion of Iraq, I was a CH-47 crewman. We were shot at a few times, but nothing too bad. One day on mission we missed a set of powerlines by less than 10 feet. The pilot spotted them late and pulled up hard to avoid them. We were about 50 feet off the ground flying over 150mph.

4) Back in Iraq in 2006, I was out on the open tarmac of the flightline after doing some aircraft maintenance. We came under 120mm mortar fire, and I had nowhere to go. Six rounds hit the tarmac, damaging 14 aircraft. A seventh fell in a guy's hooch with him sleeping inside. Fortunately I made the 100 yard run to the bunker. I think the poor guy in the hooch got messed up pretty bad. Not sure if he survived.

5) A year or two ago, I was driving 70mph on the highway at 3:00am on the way to go duck hunting. I was very groggy and having trouble staying awake. Fortunately I was just alert enough. There was a disabled vehicle in the center lane in a darkened area of a 3 lane highway. I was driving in the center lane. There were no blinkers, flares, or reflectors. I saw it just in time to swerve. I missed it by only a few feet.

Kinda feel like I have used up 8 of my nine lives LOL

Comment

Almost drowned in the neches river back in high school.. we were at the sand bar . River current caught me and I had to turn around and swim down stream.. this was in a bend in the river. When I made it to the bank I was on the wrong side so I swam down stream again to cross back.. by the time I walked back through the woods and crossed 2 more sloughs the wardens were launching their boat to look for me..

Around 21 I had an ex girlfriend try to shoot me. I had gone squirrel hunting that morning and she came over when I got back to get the rest of her stuff. She was in my room and I was in the living room. She walked in with my shotgun and said if I cant have you no one can.. I said you dont even know how to use a gun and she clicked it off safety. Pointed it and pulled the trigger.. it clicked luckily I unloaded and cleaned the gun when i got home.. that's the first time in years the gun had been unloaded..

When I was about 10 someone shot through our front door. I was laying in front of the door doing homework one night when my mom started yelling at me to go pick up the bathroom.. 30 seconds later we hear a bang.. the next day we notice the light shining through the door. Come to find out she had fed the cat on the porch and left the light on. Somebody shot the cat and the bullet went through the door and stuck in a hutch on the opposite wall.. would have hit me somewhere around the arm pit if I wouldn't have got up to clean up the bathroom.. cat made it too..
                Last edited by jds247; 02-05-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Man, life is fragile and some of your stories are terrifying to say the least.

Comment

It was Good Friday 2019. I work for a class one railroad, we were switching cars. On that day i had to work on a standing cut of cars. I started over the radio that i was working in between a standing cut, the helper acknowledged, and i thought the engineer did. The engineer hadn't understood my radio transmission. He thought that i said come back. The number one problem with that he started backing up without a proper radio command. I had no sooner stepped out of the track that i had been working in the train slammed into the car that i had been working on. So if i had been there two seconds longer the knuckles that hold the car's together would have coupled me up. It would have been a horrible way to die. I have heard horror stories about it, the coupling between two cars usually doesn't kill you. It only holds you together, until they uncouple you, then you die
                    Last edited by huntandfishguy6; 03-12-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Almost hit by bus
                      Almost shot mistaken for hog in brush
                      Almost shot mistaken for burgler
                      Almost shot by past girlfriends X
                      Almost drowned at San Luis Pass

Lotta almost but I'm still here.

Comment

Tagged to read through this thread again. Some of you guys (and gals) have sure endured some close calls that’s for sure.

Comment

2002, Bist Hazari Afghanistan

Hajii’s staked a woman out in the courtyard of an old apartment building. She has been talking to us. They tied her up stuck a flare up her ****. The smell was bad....boiled her guts.

I was the senior Sgt in our Sniper platoon and I wanted to get those suckers. I walked us right into a bad spot. The only reason I’m here is because they couldn’t shoot and we had good optics. We killed 17 Hajii’s that afternoon and nobody got a scratch. I figured we were all dying that afternoon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lost count in 38 yrs! Lol

Comment

You guys live a fast pace life!!!

I've been shot, stabbed, and set on fire. But the closest I got to actually dying is a tie between two surgeries. Burst appendix about got me at 36, but the a liver transplant pulled both feet out of the grave at 55.

Toss in a few car wrecks other death dodges and I'm pretty my 9-lives are used up.

Comment

1.Been car jacked and had a shotgun shoved in my mouth then beaten
                                2. Had a guy with Alzheimer’s empty a .38 @ me from about 10 yards
                                3.Was messing around In north africa, when desert storm started and things went off the hook and barely made it to the embassy ( got a new found respect for US marine corps)
                                4. Had a head on collision with a lady who was Dwi @ 70mph ( she died along with her entire family) I walked away with some bruise

Those are the hairy ones, been a few different ones that are hmm well we made it carry on ( like crashing a bush plane in a lake in Alaska)
                                And a couple of foreign illnesses that required hospitalization
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-12-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X