Anyone lose power today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone lose power today?

Who on here actually had their power turned off today. I live in Katy and didn't really think anything would happen but my wife just came in and said her sister's neighborhood, which is only about a mile from us, had their power cut off from 2:30 till 8:00 tonight.

That is a a pretty serious amount of time for a rolling blackout I would think.

What you guys hearing.

Also... now we are looking for a portable indoor air conditioner to run off the generator. Does such a thing exist that would cool a room in the house?
    Last edited by HuntForHorns; 07-11-2022, 07:54 PM.

No blackouts for us here in north DFW

Comment

Power here all do in old Katy.

Comment

There never was nor never intended to be any planned rolling blackouts today.

Ercot was nay asking for voluntary reductions. They said they would be able to handle the load.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 07-11-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

All I hit was a message asking to reduce load between 1-8 if I recall
          Turning up the T-stat while away, etc

Comment

Nothing here but 14,000 in Houston were out at around 5 pm.

Comment

In San Antonio on Military Drive, there were 3 separate intersections, each separated by 1/2 mile that had no power. This was around 6:45 this afternoon. At one corner was an HEB and the gas station and sign had no power either.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                There never was nor never intended to be any planned rolling blackouts today.

Ercot was nay asking for voluntary reductions. They said they would be able to handle the load.
                This is what I thought also so I wasn't really worried about it.

Something else must have caused this one.

Comment

I dont think that was a rolling blackout, likely just a localized issue. ERCOT handled today pretty smoothly. Balday prices were expected to explode at one point, trading up to $800. Ended up trading down to $165 per mw. The new CEO of ERCOT is extremely competent, not one of these bureaucrats thats never had skin in the game.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                      Who on here actually had their power turned off today. I live in Katy and didn't really think anything would happen but my wife just came in and said her sister's neighborhood, which is only about a mile from us, had their power cut off from 2:30 till 8:00 tonight.

That is a a pretty serious amount of time for a rolling blackout I would think.

What you guys hearing.

Also... now we are looking for a portable indoor air conditioner to run off the generator. Does such a thing exist that would cool a room in the house?
                      Window unit. Its part of our hurricane stash

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

My parents also, but Louisiana folks kinda have it figured out when power is down.

Comment

My son's a lineman. The heat is popping transformers left and right.

Comment

I bumped the thermostat up and thought the wife was gonna blow an ovary! I ended up giving her the “look” and she backed off. I kept most lights off as well as ceiling fans and was fine all day. Wife keeps this place blanket cold. I like that when I’m sleeping but not while I’m up. Admittedly, the older I get the colder I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

Yeppers.

Learned that all the way back to Rita/Katrina, just in case.

That and a nat gas gen set that will run it and everythig else in the house minus the main HVAC unit. Backed into the load center on the house.
                              Last edited by Greenheadless; 07-11-2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X