Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Retirement in the Conroe/Livingston area

Good evening,

I am planning to Retire in about three years.

Looking for some peace and quiet but with things to do nearby.

I will be grateful for any pros or cons people care to post or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Conroe and Livingston aren’t the same general area. Hell, they aren’t even in the same county.

Lake Conroe

Lake Livingston

Totally different, and I’d pick Livingston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For future medical care needs Conroe probably better care
      Livingston area less busyness in terms of traffic & growth and expansion of residential and business development
      Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by falmike View Post

Looking for some peace and quiet but with things to do nearby.
        Pick one or the other.

Conroe has plenty to do nearby but there hasn't been peace and quiet on that lake in years and Highway 105 is like an interstate.

Livingston has plenty of peace and quiet but the only thing to do there is eat at LeBlanc's and then park outside of Walmart and try to guess which you'll see more of: Methheads or fat women in nightgowns driving those scooters.

Of the two, I prefer Livingston and often regret selling my lakehouse there.

Comment

Depends on what “thangs” you like to do.

Comment

I’d pick Livingston for the reasons Curt mentioned. Don’t underestimate what you can see in that Walmart parking lot.
            Conroe is crowded now days.

If you want a little more peace and quiet I’d suggest Onalaska. It’s still close to LeBlanc’s Cajun Kitchen.

Comment

Conroe is far from quiet and slower.....it's growing like crazy with no sign of slowing....maybe north of here, Grimes or Walker county.

Comment

Willis or New Waverly area is nice. 30 minutes to Lake Livingston. 15 minutes to Lake Conroe. Town amenities are much better in Conroe / Woodlands when it’s time to go to “town”.

Bad news is everyone seems to be moving to Willis/New WAverly.

Comment

OP,
                  i did not see where you said retiring literally ON THE LAKE(s)???
                  If not trying to be on the lakes but in the vicinity of either lake.........CONROE general area hands down for access to amenities.

Comment

Thank you all for the great responses. I am not interested in living on the lake. I would like to visit the lake(s) or coast from time to time. Fishing and hunting are hobbies but not passions. My main goal is peace and quiet but still have basic amenities within 15-30 minutes… plus decent medical care nearby.

Thanks again

Mike

Comment

I live in willis on lake conroe , we are looking to leave in 4-5 years because of the growth, Its getting ridiculous.

Comment

Somewhat ironic to me that you would pick those areas. I think you’re already in a better spot. Temple/Belton has all the amenities and medical care, and a much more desirable lake. Family closer to the Conroe/Livingston areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                          I live in willis on lake conroe , we are looking to leave in 4-5 years because of the growth, Its getting ridiculous.
                          Just across the lake from you on Montgomery side, and I would move tomorrow if I could talk my bride into it. Admittedly it’s nice to have so much available close by, but I would like to move further out. Or to Montana. Tomato to-mah-to

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                            Nice lake pic in your avatar!!!

Comment

No help on where to go, but guarantee you if I'm ever in a position to start a thread on retiring...I'm retiring that very day!

Comment

Working...
                              X