Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo Build

A year ago my youngest brother who lives 2 houses down from me purchased 14 acres that had been logged back in 2018. Ever since then it just sat, ****ed up and flooded from a typical poorly performed operation. My wife and I at the time were in the process of purchasing a different 14 acre tract about 6 miles away in a different school district but weren't excited about not having all of our kids together anymore. We have 9 children and my brother & his wife have 3, all of the cousins play and fish together daily so they weren't very excited either. Talking around the campfire at the house one night he made mention of selling us half of the property they had purchased so we could all stay together so my wife and talked and decided to take him up on the offer. We backed out of the property we were buying and that's where the adventure begins. First things first we had to get us a place to park.
    Attached Files

Like I said the property was holding water badly so we needed to get some more area opened up to help with draining the property. We rented a mini ex and scraped the front entrance area so that we could punch some sump holes and cut ditches to start draining the property. We got a little reinforcement from my youngest set of twins too.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pictures from various parts of the property.
      Attached Files

Comment

Those twins are living the life. Following your thread.

Rwc

Comment

When things started drying up in March it was time to cut some more ditches to get further into the property and dry it out even more.
          Attached Files

Comment

Momma picking out where she wants the shop to go.

We are building a shop with living quarters in it. Nothing fancy just 1300sqft 5bd 1-1/2 bath. When we finish it we will sell the our house and move into it. Then phase II will begin which is building the main house Barndo.
            Attached Files

Comment

Once she had decided on a location it was time to get some bigger equipment out there to remove stumps and prep the house/yard area. Couple of the other kiddos fetching ol dad some tools and water.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's going to be quite the project with all of the drainage issues, but it looks like you ain't scare one bit. :-)

Enjoy the process and I look forward to following along. Lots of pictures already, so I'm sure that this will be a good one.

Comment

Following the journey. Excellent.

Comment

Little rain moved in and delayed getting some crushed concrete in to start a driveway. Once I got the rock put down I hauled some dirt in to build up the shop pad and only found one stump hole. Got the slab formed up this past weekend and scheduled trucks to pour this Friday....not sure if that will happen as we are forecasted for rain everyday for the next 8 days so we shall see.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                      That's going to be quite the project with all of the drainage issues, but it looks like you ain't scare one bit. :-)

Enjoy the process and I look forward to following along. Lots of pictures already, so I'm sure that this will be a good one.
                      Got it for a really good deal due to the drainage issues scaring a bunch folks off. Nothing a little time, some equipment and big pond can't fix. There is a drain that enters the back of the property and exits the front. It was all dammed up from the pile the loggers left and trees blown down from a tropical storm and a hurricane. We will put a pond in towards our west property line and redirect drainage towards it.

Comment

Following. Nice work so far. What is that material/liner you put down under the driveway rock. I might need something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Following. Nice work so far. What is that material/liner you put down under the driveway rock. I might need something like that.
                          Polywire grid reinforced driveway cloth, you can use geotextile fabric also. It will keep you from having to use so many layers of rock and prevent potholes in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                            Polywire grid reinforced driveway cloth, you can use geotextile fabric also. It will keep you from having to use so many layers of rock and prevent potholes in the future.
                            Good info. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                              Got it for a really good deal due to the drainage issues scaring a bunch folks off. Nothing a little time, some equipment and big pond can't fix. There is a drain that enters the back of the property and exits the front. It was all dammed up from the pile the loggers left and trees blown down from a tropical storm and a hurricane. We will put a pond in towards our west property line and redirect drainage towards it.
                              That's great that you have already identified the problem and have a solution. And you are correct, I'm sure that would scare off many other potential buyers.

Happy for you and the family. I know that I personally would want the same situation... Lower price & More time to operate heavy machinery... WIN WIN! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X