No announcement yet.

22 Mag VS 17 HMR Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will say that the .17WSM smokes both of them. I've shot coyotes,badgers,skunks,armadillos a grey fox and a beaver and small stuff like prairie dogs with my buddies .17WSM. It'll kill a coyote with a shot to the lungs at 100+ yards. Destroys prairie dogs like they got hit with a centerfire.

I've been shooting 20 grain Gamepoints for a while in my .17HMR. Killed a bobcat at 53 yards last week with a shot to the neck. Hit a big raccoon with it the other day and it had enough life left to jump in a well where I couldn't retrieve it. Massive blood loss but lived too long for my liking. Also shot a badger with the same gun,same bullet in the chest at 70 yards and it died far enough down the hole that I couldn't reach it. Tried to fish it out by tangling barbed wire in its fur and dragging him out but was unsuccessful. I know he died but he made it far enough that I couldn't get him. So in my opinion a bullet that fragments is a lot better in the .17HMR because it delivers more hydrostatic shock. The draw back to that is you can't shoot through heavier animals as well and reach vitals. The 20 grain seems like it's good for getting through to the good stuff it just doesn't deliver the amount of hydrostatic shock that a hollowpoint or v-max does. But I haven't tested that particular bullet out on enough big animals to really say how well they do. But based off of the three I've shot recently I haven't been real impressed. The bobcat is the only one that just went straight down and only kicked a few times. All three were good hits and they were confirmed dead. The raccoon and the badger just didn't drop on the spot which I don't like.
    Last edited by okrattler; 03-01-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
      still holding out for a 22 WSM someday. until then... sticking with my 17 wsm

I’d love one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        I will say that the .17WSM smokes both of them. I've shot coyotes,badgers,skunks,armadillos a grey fox and a beaver and small stuff like prairie dogs with my buddies .17WSM. It'll kill a coyote with a shot to the lungs at 100+ yards. Destroys prairie dogs like they got hit with a centerfire.

I've been shooting 20 grain Gamepoints for a while in my .17HMR. Killed a bobcat at 53 yards last week with a shot to the neck. Hit a big raccoon with it the other day and it had enough life left to jump in a well where I couldn't retrieve it. Massive blood loss but lived too long for my liking. Also shot a badger with the same gun,same bullet in the chest at 70 yards and it died far enough down the hole that I couldn't reach it. Tried to fish it out by tangling barbed wire in its fur and dragging him out but was unsuccessful. I know he died but he made it far enough that I couldn't get him. So in my opinion a bullet that fragments is a lot better in the .17HMR because it delivers more hydrostatic shock. The draw back to that is you can't shoot through heavier animals as well and reach vitals. The 20 grain seems like it's good for getting through to the good stuff it just doesn't deliver the amount of hydrostatic shock that a hollowpoint or v-max does. But I haven't tested that particular bullet out on enough big animals to really say how well they do. But based off of the three I've shot recently I haven't been real impressed. The bobcat is the only one that just went straight down and only kicked a few times. All three were good hits and they were confirmed dead. The raccoon and the badger just didn't drop on the spot which I don't like.
        Apples to oranges man, rimfire vs centerfire

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
          Apples to oranges man, rimfire vs centerfire
          both rimfire

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

I really like my Volquartsen 17 WSM. It will shoot sub 1" MOA and hits hard. I want to go prairie dog hunting with it someday soon if ammo starts stacking up on shelves again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              I really like my Volquartsen 17 WSM. It will shoot sub 1" MOA and hits hard. I want to go prairie dog hunting with it someday soon if ammo starts stacking up on shelves again.
              Oh I bet that is a sweet gun. I wouldn't mind seeing them come out with a .22WSM. The 20 and 25 grain v-max both have worked fine putting down critters in my buddies rifle but I'd like to see them come out with hollowpoints and softpoints for the .17WSM.

Comment

The RimX action has tickled my pickle since day one when they announced they’d have a 17 WSM bolt head available for it. I haven’t managed to convince myself to spend the money yet, but one day I will. That thing will be a sweet little Varmint killer. Love the WSM round, but the rifle selection is horrendous. The VQ is the only quality rifle IMO, but I’m just not interested in a SA. If CZ made the 457 in a WSM I’d own one yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  The RimX action has tickled my pickle since day one when they announced they’d have a 17 WSM bolt head available for it. I haven’t managed to convince myself to spend the money yet, but one day I will. That thing will be a sweet little Varmint killer. Love the WSM round, but the rifle selection is horrendous. The VQ is the only quality rifle IMO, but I’m just not interested in a SA. If CZ made the 457 in a WSM I’d own one yesterday.
                  VQ stop producing the 17 WSM

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I wanted to get serious about spending money on a rimfire I'd get a Franklin Armory F17.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      I don’t see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. That’s never really been anyone’s argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications I’d rather have a 17HMR. For others I’d rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.
                      Yep, I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                        Mouse Hunt - Pest Control & Thermal Shooting with a 22LR Lithgow LA101 - YouTube
                        This guy explodes some mice with 22lr, pretty interesting footage thru a thermal...also has videos shooting rabbits with 17hmr and 204 ruger...and even 308 lol always good to have multiple tools
                        When I was a kid, Stingers were my favorite 22 LR ammo by far. I preferred them over everything else. I have not seen any in many years, thought CCI discontinued them. I just saw some a couple days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                          I have lost fox, bobcat and coyote with excellent bullet placement inside of 100 yards with the 17HMR, now use it for coon and down targets. The 22WMR just seems to anchor predators better. JMHO
                          Same experience with 17

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                            Same experience with 17

Are you shooting the 17gr V-Max or the 20gr Hornady XTP soft point? The V Max blows up. The XTP kills stuff dead.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              both rimfire
                              Derp, I just learned something.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                                Are you shooting the 17gr V-Max or the 20gr Hornady XTP soft point? The V Max blows up. The XTP kills stuff dead.

That’s been my experience as well. I’ve put down a handful of hogs with mine and a lot of smaller game from rabbits to coyotes using the 20 Gr XTP.

Comment

Working...
                                X