Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    I would at least try a test plot of Triticale. It is a wheat/rye hybrid. It produces abundant forage, higher in protein, and is more digestable that wheat or rye. It is also more freeze resistant than wheat or rye. In Iowa the deer hammer the Triticale. The picture below is a Triticale field across the road from our farm. Enlarge the picture and look closely. There is a good buck standing in that little brushy draw. He was locked on a doe and was not moving. I had seen a group of deer right at daylight feeding way out in the Triticale. This picture was taken at about 11:00am. I had permission to hunt this ground. I pulled my truck over about 50 yards past the brush pile and tried to put a stalk on the buck. I got about 25 yards from where he was when a second doe that I had not seen busted me. The buck never paid any attention to me but followed the does. If you are not familiar with Triticale do some research on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I wonder how drought tolerant it is for TX?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      Yeah,no you don't, its a money pit, ask me how I know this, well you already know
      Lol! I have a fantastic area for a setup across my creek, but it's about 30' across from dry land to dry land. Not sure what I'm going to do because I won't be able to get a container in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
        Lol! I have a fantastic area for a setup across my creek, but it's about 30' across from dry land to dry land. Not sure what I'm going to do because I won't be able to get a container in that area.
        Man I promise it can’t be any worse than the area I started with, chain saw, skid steer and two skytrack forklifts. Wasn’t cheap but anything is possible.

Comment

This past weekend my father-in-law, my best friend, and I made it back up to the property. Our primary goal was to get the main food plot ready to plant. We picked up rocks picked up rocks and picked up more rocks before brush hogging and then picked up more rocks. We sprayed generic Roundup. My hope is that all of the berry vines and small saplings will die out. I will be back up in a few weeks with the disc, ready to plant.

I was able to get the John Deere 302A tractor up to the property this weekend also. You talk about a major difference in power between that and the Kabota! 28HP versus 52. The John Deere made short work of most of the boulders in the food plot. I’ve got a few left that the John Deere could not move so these will just have to stay for now.

My soil sample came back also. Looks like I’ve got quite a bit of work to do.

I was able to set up the second, refurbished feeder over on the east side. This area has a lot of cover. This year I will probably just set up a double stand for my youngest daughter to help with her crossbow. Eventually, I’d like to build a large, permanent blind here. All things in time.

I had time on Saturday evening to do a little clearing in a small food plot area in the woods. This little kill plot should produce if I can get something to grow here. I’m hoping that clover will grow. This looks like a good staging area as it is adjacent to a 30 acre field. I was able to get a few old stumps up which widened my area.

The black blind that overlooks the main plot got a little TLC also. We were able to secure the roof with new hardware and foam sealed it in. Also added the door with new hardware. Now I’ve just got to repair the windows and she should be good to go.

Finally, with two working corn feeders already on the property I brought the 550 corn feeder back to the house to refurbish it. I may sell this one in order to fund a protein feeder purchase.

Overall, I am very pleased with our progress. The season will be here before you know it. I think I see a time where we are ready to hunt and enjoy.

Comment

Man, your place is looking great! Awesome stuff! What are you planning to plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              Man, your place is looking great! Awesome stuff! What are you planning to plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Brandon. I’m looking at winter wheat and clover, mainly. Allot of folks have suggested different things but those two will be my anchor this first year. FIL informed me that he was going to mix in a few turnips as well just to see how well they do and how the deer respond. Based on the need for nutrients I’ll be really working on getting the dirt good and balanced these first few years.

Comment

Still have the cams to female and fawn only mode. There are only a few small bucks that have found the feeder.

Heading to sunny, Walters Oklahoma tomorrow for the Dove Season opener. Then it’s back in a few weeks to plant and make final preparations!

Comment

The birds were flying mostly in the evenings over at Walters. We managed to shoot enough for a few meals. The weather was good and company even better. Haven’t got the fields to attract the bird of peace to our place so it doesn’t look to be a dove destination.

Mr. Hunt stepped up to the side by side .20 this season and managed to put down 5 birds. Better than me at 10 years old!

Thinking about spreading all that seed and fertilizer in a few weeks already has my back hurting. (I know it’s just ~2 acres but I’m getting old [emoji6]). Went ahead and ordered a 12 volt spreader that mounts onto the ATV. Made by Moultrie it was just about $130. We will see how it does!

Anyone have any experience with these?

Comment

Love to see the young ones getting into it With a little work the Dove hoards will frequent your place as well! Looking forward to seeing how the spreader works out!

Comment

Don’t know anything about that spreader, I got a pull behind spreader, holds about 80-100# from tractor supply and I pull with my cart. I bet that electric is nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                        The birds were flying mostly in the evenings over at Walters. We managed to shoot enough for a few meals. The weather was good and company even better. Haven’t got the fields to attract the bird of peace to our place so it doesn’t look to be a dove destination.

Mr. Hunt stepped up to the side by side .20 this season and managed to put down 5 birds. Better than me at 10 years old!

Thinking about spreading all that seed and fertilizer in a few weeks already has my back hurting. (I know it’s just ~2 acres but I’m getting old [emoji6]). Went ahead and ordered a 12 volt spreader that mounts onto the ATV. Made by Moultrie it was just about $130. We will see how it does!

Anyone have any experience with these?
                        Yes sir, and have spread thousands of pounds of seed and fertilizer with it. I tried to find when we bought ours but no luck, I am guessing 10 or more years ago and still running the original motor.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                          Yes sir, and have spread thousands of pounds of seed and fertilizer with it. I tried to find when we bought ours but no luck, I am guessing 10 or more years ago and still running the original motor.

Rwc

That is great to hear. I’ll predict that mine doesn’t last half that long. I’ve been accused of being hard on equipment!

Assembly required.

Comment

Ordered my seed and fertilizer today:

-250 lbs of winter wheat
                            -12 lbs of Ladino Clover
                            -200 lbs Nitrogen
                            -100 lbs Phosphorus
                            -400 lbs Lime

We are going to plant on Saturday. Hoping for favorable conditions. Between school and family commitments it is this weekend or the second week of October and I think that would be too late that far North.

Looking forward to seeing how things go being a deer farmer this first year!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                              Ordered my seed and fertilizer today:

-250 lbs of winter wheat
                              -12 lbs of Ladino Clover
                              -200 lbs Nitrogen
                              -100 lbs Phosphorus
                              -400 lbs Lime

We are going to plant on Saturday. Hoping for favorable conditions. Between school and family commitments it is this weekend or the second week of October and I think that would be too late that far North.

Looking forward to seeing how things go being a deer farmer this first year!
                              Yup I agree. Better to do it now than wait. Good luck! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X