No announcement yet.

Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got some losers, that i think will eventually come back, but may take at least 3 years if not closer to 5.....

What do you think I should do? Cut'em and buy into something more promising? Just stick with it till they turn around?

Lots of unknowns right now...

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
      I think you need more than 25k in cash or securities to get around the PDT. If you want help with options, send me a PM.
      You have to maintain a balance over 25k, so i take that to mean you better have a lot more to cover days when your long equities are in the red. I've never even applied for margin on my account so i can't mess with options until then, at least with TD. I've done a bit of reading up, but want to get more familiar with strategies and covering calls/puts before then.

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some pretty impressive after hours trading going on with Apple, FB and Amazon. Several others on their coattails as well. Tomorrow could be a very interesting day in the market of this after hours session is any indication.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
          Some pretty impressive after hours trading going on with Apple, FB and Amazon. Several others on their coattails as well. Tomorrow could be a very interesting day in the market of this after hours session is any indication.
          I was really debating on trying a couple of the ones i was watching, but decided not to which was a good call. There were some other good beats today but they are being overshadowed by the fang stocks. Think I'm done until next week. Going to let my cash settle out so i have a full balance to play. There's some really good ones still to come.

Comment

Cat and merck report tomorrow morning. Actually i would like to see merck miss earnings, buy in the IRA and wait for the next bigs news event to sell. Cat has been looking nice so i bet they beat, but it's too high for me to make a play. I like stuff under $50 so i can buy more and make higher percentages on my return.

My 2 nice plays this week were BGFV and HOME, both under 10 a share at the time. The earning shot them up enough that i made over 50% return on each. Risky, but that's what stops are for

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
              You have to maintain a balance over 25k, so i take that to mean you better have a lot more to cover days when your long equities are in the red. I've never even applied for margin on my account so i can't mess with options until then, at least with TD. I've done a bit of reading up, but want to get more familiar with strategies and covering calls/puts before then.

Don't wait. Download TD's Think or Swim. You can paper trade while you learn. I use a low cost service that gives me "a trade" every Tuesday. A few weeks ago the trade was UPS. I wasn't able to get in, but it went up many levels beyond what was expected. I think some in the group made over 400% that week. This service gives you ideas to Buy Calls or Buy Puts, that's playing it up or down. They also offer free personal education help. This weeks trade is Visa "V", I'm still up despite the sell off today. Hopefully, tomorrow it picks up, because my option expires at 3. After hours trading has it up a point and a half.

One morning on the Tuesday call where they review the trade, I was in and out with 107% on CHWY in 35 minutes. When playing options, you have to be ready to sell at any time, things can turn against you fast.

Comment

A few of my many positions:

Precious metals
                EUR's
                CHF's

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                  Apple is doing another 4:1 split for any stock holder on record as of August 24th. Glad I bought some last month.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    Apple is doing another 4:1 split for any stock holder on record as of August 24th. Glad I bought some last month.
                    Man I'm glad to hear that. The option prices will be lower too.

Comment

Finally not upside down on miller/coors. It was a long term hold anyway, but they beat earnings estimates, which sent the stock up a couple % and put me in the green. Up 30% since buying Budweiser. They beat earnings estimates as well. People aren’t gunna go without their booze.

Chevron took a beating today. May have put me in the red, but it’s a long term hold and a dividend play. Same with the couple utility stocks I own.
                      Last edited by TwoHighways; 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                        Don't wait. Download TD's Think or Swim. You can paper trade while you learn. I use a low cost service that gives me "a trade" every Tuesday. A few weeks ago the trade was UPS. I wasn't able to get in, but it went up many levels beyond what was expected. I think some in the group made over 400% that week. This service gives you ideas to Buy Calls or Buy Puts, that's playing it up or down. They also offer free personal education help. This weeks trade is Visa "V", I'm still up despite the sell off today. Hopefully, tomorrow it picks up, because my option expires at 3. After hours trading has it up a point and a half.

One morning on the Tuesday call where they review the trade, I was in and out with 107% on CHWY in 35 minutes. When playing options, you have to be ready to sell at any time, things can turn against you fast.
                        TOS is what I use already. I do use the paper account some, but haven't started it with options yet. I watch a lot on a site called BullishBears. It's alright but I don't get the time to really use it for all the benefits. Watch a lot of the videos though. I keep the TOS mobile app pulled up on my tablet all day, but it's not good for quick action. So everything I do has to be more of a swing play. I'll enjoy it in another week when I go back to working from home for a bit due to kids and virtual learning, and can scalp some things off the hot keys.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                          TOS is what I use already. I do use the paper account some, but haven't started it with options yet. I watch a lot on a site called BullishBears. It's alright but I don't get the time to really use it for all the benefits. Watch a lot of the videos though. I keep the TOS mobile app pulled up on my tablet all day, but it's not good for quick action. So everything I do has to be more of a swing play. I'll enjoy it in another week when I go back to working from home for a bit due to kids and virtual learning, and can scalp some things off the hot keys.
                          The TOS my have a different app for the desktop. The TOS phone app is extremely limited, compared to the desktop version. They have a tool on the screen that is called "active trader". This allows you to see the bid/ask action and execute with the a click. You can find several videos of them on youtube, or you can call for a TOS session for expert help on your setup. My TOS guy did something to speed up the TOS interface for me. I only know a few in's and out's on the TOS, but it's loaded with features. On the pay service I use, the trader running the calls uses TOS. During those calls, he really knows how to get around that thing and show us a ton of helpful data.

Comment

Ugh, Chevron taking another beating. I'll probably add to my position a little bit to average down. Or maybe wait to see what it does next week.

Comment

Do any of you guys know of a good primer from somebody brand new to trading? I'm not throwing a lot of money around, just a little play money for now as a hobby. Been watching the markets for a couple months, but honestly have no clue how it really works. I have a robinhood account with nothing in it except the free stock. I'd like to learn more about stock markets and how they work as I play around with extra cash.

Comment

Probably some great youtube videos out there on technical analysis out there. I don't really swing trade though. If I had a million in a brokerage account and could make a living doing it, then maybe it would be a bit more appealing. Even then, I'd probably just own rental properties as that seems less risky and seems like a more "real" form of wealth.

Comment

Working...
                                X