No announcement yet.

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will be surprised how lanes really help the animals too. Place is looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      You will be surprised how lanes really help the animals too. Place is looking great!

Thanks. Hoping to set things up to benefit the wildlife for the long term.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my cabin to be as pretty as yours!

Comment

Took a three day weekend with the family and headed up to the land. Took a load of furniture along with the refurbished feeder.

Got the feeder set up and by all accounts it is running like new.

I give the herds of does 48 hours before they find the golden nuggets.

Stopped off by the used hunting emporium again on Saturday and picked up a blind that I’ve had my eye on for a while now.

This one will overlook the main food plot.

Close to the cabin, warm, and roomy = kid friendly.

Still have some work to do on the door and a couple of windows but overall she is solid.

Loaded up my next project to bring it back to the house for refurbishment. This is feeder #1’s twin brother.

I’ll have to get by Home Depot this week to get another couple of jugs of the elbow grease.

Comment

Judging by your rehab skills on the first feeder I am anxious to see the finished product of the new hotel and twin feeder

Comment

Looking good. Post some pics from the trail cams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

you okies like to work i know that. daggone! im gonna need a manager i recon!

Comment

Micah, looking good brother...

Comment

Blinds by camp usually produce!

Comment

Looking great—let me know if you find any more deals on blinds

Comment

I’m liking that blind and food plot combo!

Comment

Looking good man! I love it up there, my brother bought a big place that is awesome!

Comment

Can't wait to see the food plot around the new blind! Looking good!

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Originally posted by Iamhooked View Post
                            Looking good. Post some pics from the trail cams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My trail cams are currently set to “fat doe and fawn only” mode so they are pretty boring right now. (You can tell Huggybear that my cams are pretty advanced.) [emoji3]

Interesting though that I got pics of the equipment that the seismic company used to clear the lanes I posted about a few weeks ago.

Seeing this take out an oak tree like it was nothing is pretty impressive!

I walked out most of the lanes that were cut and I’m very pleased with the result. There are a couple of spots that are going to be excellent. Overall, I’ve probably got three more bow stand set locations and one blind location.

One of my early favorites of the new spots is in my far NE corner. When Darton and I initially walked part of the property on New Year’s day this area was littered with rubs and was near some of the thickest on the property.

Some mature trees in this area are ideal for a bow set. It may take a year or two to get the ground right but I’d like to plant clover or some other shade tolerant plots back here. Already put some mineral out in front of a cam so it will be interesting to see what we have in this area. There is pasture within 50 yards and a small pond within 400 so all the elements (cover being the third) are there. From what I can tell this area has never been hunted. You hear that allot but based on the work it would have taken to hunt it before this lane was cut I’m pretty certain that this is the case.

Here some other “new” areas I like:

An existing area closer to the main food plot and adjacent to a 30 acre pasture should be an ideal staging area in the evenings.

They just widened an existing trail which helped with the tree cover/shade. Will open up more that will grow here.

I’m looking forward to planting but not looking forward to all the work of picking up rocks that comes with it. I figure the major rock clearing will be done in the first two seasons.
                            Last edited by Booner Sooner; 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                              Micah, looking good brother...
                              Thanks. One step at a time. Lord willing, this will be a lifetime project.

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              Looking good man! I love it up there, my brother bought a big place that is awesome!
                              Terry!!! What’s up my friend?! Long time no see. Yep, I heard about you brother’s spread. Just a few acres bigger’n mine [emoji12]
                              Should be something special.

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
                              you okies like to work i know that. daggone! im gonna need a manager i recon!

No work here. A labor of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                                A few weeks ago I was contacted by a company hired by the petroleum company to perform 3D seismic mapping of the subsurface deposits. With my place being 90% solid timber they were going to have to use large, industrial munchers to cut lanes through the timber to make room for the shot holes to be drilled. Once the lanes are in they essentially drill 30’ deep coffee can size holes before setting off small charges and record/map the subsurface.

Here is a map. The proposed lanes are yellow.

The interesting thing is that I have been saving my pennies, nickels, and dimes to go toward hiring a dozer service to clear some lanes and make small kill plots. Now I have someone asking if they can pay me to to do the same thing. [emoji3]

That is God's grace for sure! Congrats on the land and the work. It looks perfect!

Comment

Working...
                                X