Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you’ve been making good progress, the place looks great
    Nothing better than working on a place and knowing it’s yours at the end of the workday
    Keep up the work, will be following your progress

Comment

Way to go. Man that is purdy! Now all you need is a storage container?

Comment

I was going to say the rust was a good camo color and just leave it alone.

Comment

did they ever finish the study on why mature bucks are so attracted to rust?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
            I was going to say the rust was a good camo color and just leave it alone.
            With the lease I’ve been on, a long term view has not been the focus. With this place I’m trying to do it once and do it right.

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
            Looks like you’ve been making good progress, the place looks great
            Nothing better than working on a place and knowing it’s yours at the end of the workday
            Keep up the work, will be following your progress
            With limited time on trips I’ve been hitting it hard. It’s been fun. Rewarding.

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
            did they ever finish the study on why mature bucks are so attracted to rust?

Nope. If this were the case my family would be legendary by now!

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
            Way to go. Man that is purdy! Now all you need is a storage container?

Come to think of it, I know where a low priced option can be found! [emoji3]

Comment

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a company hired by the petroleum company to perform 3D seismic mapping of the subsurface deposits. With my place being 90% solid timber they were going to have to use large, industrial munchers to cut lanes through the timber to make room for the shot holes to be drilled. Once the lanes are in they essentially drill 30’ deep coffee can size holes before setting off small charges and record/map the subsurface.

Here is a map. The proposed lanes are yellow.

The interesting thing is that I have been saving my pennies, nickels, and dimes to go toward hiring a dozer service to clear some lanes and make small kill plots. Now I have someone asking if they can pay me to to do the same thing. [emoji3]

It is about a $4000 swing as best I can estimate.

My only conditions for signing the contract were that the lanes would be at least twice as wide as normal and there would be no work impacting our deer hunting.

Has anyone had this type of work done before?

Comment

The primer is on and it’s starting to make the transition from rusted an antique to finely tuned, modern management tool. [emoji6]

I used Rust-oleum’s rusty metal primer. Rolled it on.

Had enough to go ahead and to the inside as well.

The drum and stand should be good for as long as the kids need it.

Comment

Two coats later, she’s about done.

Comment

Another coat and a little accent paint and the feeder barrel and stand are ready for action.

Now attention turns to the hand winch.

She soaked up the WD-40 and sounds strong.

Comment

Booner Sooner your pretty handy
                      Work on feeder looks great

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                        Booner Sooner your pretty handy
                        Work on feeder looks great

Thanks!

I haven’t used a winch like this before. There is no latch/switch to disengage the brake. Won’t crank backwards as is so wondering if it has to be under load in order to do so.

Anyone with experience with this type of winch that can shed some light?

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Getting prepped to head back up to the hilltop on Friday with the wife and kids in tow. Thanks to local neighbors and TBHrs getting rid of furniture I’ll be hauling more furnishings to the cabin.

Special thanks to ShockValue for donating and help loading the furniture.

Will be setting out the refurbished feeder and scouting some of the new lanes cut by the survey company. Some pics taken by Darton recently.

Will be taking a pole saw to help open up these a bit further. Looking forward to finding new possibilities for small kill plots and sets. Think these will be prime for clover. May set out some additional cameras to see if these are being used yet.

Also looking forward to seeing the kids mow the place[emoji12]
                          Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-30-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Looking great, in for all the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DZM View Post
                              Looking great, in for all the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to see the lanes that have been cut. Have that feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve....

Comment

all signs point to this purchase being a good decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X