Need a small walk behind brush cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a small walk behind brush cutter

I need to get me a walk behind brush cutter. Looking at the DR Field and Brush Mower... Had no idea there were so many models... Thinking of getting the 30" cut version with "power steering" and electric start.

Anyone have any experience with these or any other brand of walk behind brush mower?
    Thanks!

I haven't looked at the new DRs in a while, but have used an older model many many times over the last 10 years or so. Those things are great! The one I've borrowed from family has the standard brush hog-type deck, as well as a finish mower you can swap to. Both do a great job and really cleans up a place in a jiffy.

Comment

We rented a "Billy goat" mower a couple times and it worked very well!

Not sure what your mowing but I just got a used swisher rough cut mower to pull behind my mule and it's amazing! It's at the lease now but if it would help you let me know and I'll bring it back this way.

Comment

A friend had a DR for years and swore by it

Comment

Thanks guys... I have a DR string trimmer/edger and it's a good machine for what it does. My primary need is to cut grass/weeds around my pond and along some fence rows in the back of my property in spots that is a bit tight for my tractor and shredder/brush hog. I've never used one and wanted to get one that my bride could use if she needed to around her garden and such. I thought I was sold on the big model that is like 30 or 34" cut, but the dang thing weighs 500 pounds!! That kind of spooked me a bit...

Comment

Get ya one of these. It can eat your brush then come Nanza cabrito tacos!

Winning twice!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
              We rented a "Billy goat" mower a couple times and it worked very well!

Not sure what your mowing but I just got a used swisher rough cut mower to pull behind my mule and it's amazing! It's at the lease now but if it would help you let me know and I'll bring it back this way.
              Same here. I rented a “Billy Goat” a couple of weeks ago and it did great but took quite a while with only a 24” wide cut.

Charlie, I just bought a 60” DR tow behind finish mower. It’s not the rough field and brush mower but my land is fairly clean and flat so I’m hoping to be able to stay on top of it with a finish mower. I will pull it behind my Mule or offset behind a Husqvarna 54” mower. I really need the offset option to get close around my tank.

I hope it works out the way I plan. They are on sale and have excellent reviews.
              Harness the power of your ATV or riding mower for a powerful cut! Clear large areas and fields with our selection of tow-behind mowers.

Comment

There has to be some goat ropers in tarkington that will let you borrow their goats for a few weeks.

Comment

If there's one animal I hate worse than cows, it's goats!! Think I'm going to order the mid-size DR... They have a 6 month trial period anyway... I'd love to get that big sucker, but I'm afraid it is so heavy, if I get to close to the water with it at my tanks, I'll run that sucker off in the water or stick it... And ain't no way I could see my wife being able to manipulate that large of a machine... After I give 'er a whirl, I'll post up a review... Back of my mind, I can see it at the deer lease too clearing lanes and food plot areas in tight places... Plus, be a lot easier than hauling that big tractor/ shredder to the ranch...

Comment

Have you considered a weed eater with a brush blade? They can clear some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Thanks guys... I have a DR string trimmer/edger and it's a good machine for what it does. My primary need is to cut grass/weeds around my pond and along some fence rows in the back of my property in spots that is a bit tight for my tractor and shredder/brush hog. I've never used one and wanted to get one that my bride could use if she needed to around her garden and such. I thought I was sold on the big model that is like 30 or 34" cut, but the dang thing weighs 500 pounds!! That kind of spooked me a bit...
                      Was running one of these at the lease and cleaning up the landowner's fenceline around his house--got into a wad of old barbed wire!!! Fortunately for me I didn't get any wrapped around my ankles--but it did a great job on weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
                        Have you considered a weed eater with a brush blade? They can clear some stuff.
                        This is what I use, paired with a pull behind the UTV brush cutter.

Comment

Working...
                        X