No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen, thank you for the advice and telling us to keep after it, we walked about another mile from where we talked to yall yesterday when we were taking down the popup. We fund a tree like you told us and ended up setting the popup up, did not see anything yesterday. We got back in the blind this morning and at 9am, two bulls showed up about 125 yards away. She took a quartering to shot with the .300WSM and nailed him, he went 20 yards and was dead. Completely destroyed the heart and damaged zero meat. He was not a full grown bull but was still 450-500lbs, about the size of a cow. Thank goodness another group, Daniel and his son, were there this morning as well, because they helped us pack it out. I cant express how much I appreciate their help, that 1.8 miles would have been that much harder had it just been my daughter and I. They also killed a bull Friday, he is a TBH member and said he will post his story this week, they had a 10 hour drive home today.

Comment

We were stopped by a State Game Warden on the way in yesterday evening and he said from what he has heard, the shutdown wont affect the wildlife refuges.

Comment

Lone star. Awesome. Glad we were able to help a little. Please post up some pics. We were spent when we got that bull out. I’m sure you guys all got a laugh out of the Prius in the parking lot. We were talking about how we hoped your daughter was able to connect. It was a pleasure meeting you and an experience I will cherish.

Comment

I didn’t know anyone else from TBH was there. Only one I knew that was going had to back out

Comment

Daniel and his son Dominick are TBH members, he said he doesnt post much, but did say he was going to post their story.

Comment

Photo right after she shot her bull.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LoneStarCarnivo; 12-24-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

LoneStar. That is awesome. Hunt of a lifetime.

Comment

Man that's awesome to see! congrats to all!

Comment

Congrats to the hunters and fathers! I have a son that will hunt the next one in January. We're excited and hopeful. Is there a check in or orientation at all? Just show up, sign in, and hunt? how were the snakes this time of year? Any tips appreciated.

Comment

Mooney, send me a PM and I will hook you up with some info.

Comment

Great job to the hunters and fathers that got them set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey All,

Any recommendations on hotels or campgrounds nearby? It's just me going now, so not looking for anything fancy.

Comment

just get on Hotels.com and book a room. All the hotels seem to be in same area and is a quiet little town. You will be gone before breakfast- La Quinta has Whatburger next door so that is what we went with.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonDucks View Post
                              Hey All,

Any recommendations on hotels or campgrounds nearby? It's just me going now, so not looking for anything fancy.
                              Raymondville has several hotels to choose from. I stayed at the holiday inn. Very clean and price was cheap. About 25 minute drive to the refuge

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the info guys!

I'll be driving in on Tuesday the 5th for my 2/8-2/10 hunt. If any of you guys who also drew those dates are interested in meeting up while we're out there let me know.

Happy to be on call if anyone needs help hauling meat out!

Comment

Working...
                                X