No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after watching videos of guys trying to shoot nilgai with a bow I’ve come to the conclusion I need to be ready to take a 60 yard shot. It looks almost impossible to get within 30 yards of a nilgai without a lot of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      So after watching videos of guys trying to shoot nilgai with a bow I’ve come to the conclusion I need to be ready to take a 60 yard shot. It looks almost impossible to get within 30 yards of a nilgai without a lot of luck
      Last year I was there for the exotic only archery hunt. The most enjoyable 5 days I've ever spent hunting. Had a family unit of cows & calves trot by at 70+ yds. Just a matter of luck, if they had come around the other side of the brush I was set up in, they would have been 15 yds. Later I set up in a funnel and had a nice bull trot by at 20 yds. Unfortunately, he came from behind me and I had my bow laying down. You can bet I spent the next days with bow in hand and looking at the close cover not the big field. My bad.

There were some big herds feeding out in the open areas, but they were a long way from any usable cover. Note the theme, trotting. Just about every Nilgai there close to brush was moving with so many hunters wandering about, but use that as an opportunity. Find your self a natural funnel, set up, and stay alert for a quick shot at a moving target.

I drew again for the early Dec archery hunt. Will be getting excited for it soon. Right now I'm excited for the Aransas hunt I also drew. Fun times!

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post
        Last year I was there for the exotic only archery hunt. The most enjoyable 5 days I've ever spent hunting. Had a family unit of cows & calves trot by at 70+ yds. Just a matter of luck, if they had come around the other side of the brush I was set up in, they would have been 15 yds. Later I set up in a funnel and had a nice bull trot by at 20 yds. Unfortunately, he came from behind me and I had my bow laying down. You can bet I spent the next days with bow in hand and looking at the close cover not the big field. My bad.

There were some big herds feeding out in the open areas, but they were a long way from any usable cover. Note the theme, trotting. Just about every Nilgai there close to brush was moving with so many hunters wandering about, but use that as an opportunity. Find your self a natural funnel, set up, and stay alert for a quick shot at a moving target.

I drew again for the early Dec archery hunt. Will be getting excited for it soon. Right now I'm excited for the Aransas hunt I also drew. Fun times!

I’m also in for the early December hunt. Think I’m gonna train to potentially make a 70 yard shot but work to set up in funnels and try to catch one slowly moving. From what it looks like people shoot big white tails out there but everyone forgets about them once they see a nilgai lol

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post

Very good explanation of what to expect out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            I got drawn for Laguna Atascosa 11/16 -11/20. This will be my first time down there. Gonna start getting preparations in order.

Any advice / suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated. Gonna try to scout next month with bike, But hunt utilizing 4 wheeler.(i have the medical release). Wanna see what the backside of unit 1 looks like and maybe the west side of 3.

I’m drawn for the same hunt/ same dates. Just seeing this so I have lots of reading to do. Will be back if questions are not all answered here. Hopefully we can meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
              The orientation was the evening before the first day of hunting last year. It’s at 9:00am this year the day before?

So, 9am on the 15th. I read conflicting reports. One said day before and other said on 1rst day...?

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                So, 9am on the 15th. I read conflicting reports. One said day before and other said on 1rst day...?

You should have got an email. Orientation is 3 p.m. the day before the first day of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post

I shot a nilgai with my bow in that angle and it never went down. Aim at it on that spot but shoot only if its quartering away. On the nilgai vitals are between the shoulders not behind the shoulder .

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                    You should have got an email. Orientation is 3 p.m. the day before the first day of the hunt.

Thanks, didn’t get it or missed it.

Comment

So it looks like I will be bringing my bike. Looking for my old wheeled tripod I used years ago at Aransas. And booking a room somewhere. Why did I put in for this hunt solo? Looking forward to meeting y’all on the 15th. Also glad someone finally mentioned WT. what are numbers and quality like?

Comment

Like some 1 else said, if its raining, going to rain, or there is a chance of rain, leave your bike and walk it in. The dirt turns into clay and you will be carrying your bike.
                        Been there and done that!
                        Chiggers, and ticks are everywhere.
                        Rattlesnakes are out there, get some snake boots or snake chaps and keep your eyes open.
                        Aluminum tripods are worth every penny.
                        Game carts; get one or get a friend that has one, you can leave it at the truck if you want and go get it once you killed something but have one handy, just in case. At the moment of truth they are worth their weight in gold.

MOST of all BE mentally ready for the idiots! Lots of them out there. Had a few of them walking around at prime time, trying to sneak in on deer. That happened a bunch of times to me last time I was out there. I had deer feeding near me and getting closer. Suddenly somebody (on 3 different occasions, guys & at one point a woman also) trying to sneak in, they had not seen me. Deer was about 50 yds from me and they were further out they were sneaking in and had a two of them take some hail mary shots. Who knows maybe the high cost of registering for the refuge hunts now has helped to keep them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                          So it looks like I will be bringing my bike. Looking for my old wheeled tripod I used years ago at Aransas. And booking a room somewhere. Why did I put in for this hunt solo? Looking forward to meeting y’all on the 15th. Also glad someone finally mentioned WT. what are numbers and quality like?

Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think I’d like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24551701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	24551702

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think I’d like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai [ATTACH]923219[/ATTACH][ATTACH]923220[/ATTACH]

Yep, I’d be happy with that! Looking forward to getting down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rchr View Post
                              Like some 1 else said, if its raining, going to rain, or there is a chance of rain, leave your bike and walk it in. The dirt turns into clay and you will be carrying your bike.
                              Been there and done that!
                              Chiggers, and ticks are everywhere.
                              Rattlesnakes are out there, get some snake boots or snake chaps and keep your eyes open.
                              Aluminum tripods are worth every penny.
                              Game carts; get one or get a friend that has one, you can leave it at the truck if you want and go get it once you killed something but have one handy, just in case. At the moment of truth they are worth their weight in gold.

MOST of all BE mentally ready for the idiots! Lots of them out there. Had a few of them walking around at prime time, trying to sneak in on deer. That happened a bunch of times to me last time I was out there. I had deer feeding near me and getting closer. Suddenly somebody (on 3 different occasions, guys & at one point a woman also) trying to sneak in, they had not seen me. Deer was about 50 yds from me and they were further out they were sneaking in and had a two of them take some hail mary shots. Who knows maybe the high cost of registering for the refuge hunts now has helped to keep them away.

Thanks, ok, get ready for idiots. Mmmm that’s a tough one. Just hope being my first trip I don’t end up being one of those. Lots of good info. I will be as prepared as I can. Thanks again.

Comment

I know we cannot bait, and cannot install trail cams. Can we use scent attractants? Or cover scents?

Comment

Working...
                                X