Which State Would You Hunt In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which State Would You Hunt In?

Looking at doing an out-of-state whitetail hunt, as to I have only hunted in Texas. Really would love to take a big MidWest whitetail with my bow, but figured I’d ask people here on the GS who have actual experience.

So my questions are:

Which state has the biggest deer? Rack and body wise? (Which state do they call “Land of the Giants?”)

Not too familiar with buying out-of-state hunting licenses, so which state has the easiest obtainable hunting license?

And lastly, if anyone has any real world experience, what state did you hunt and outfitter did you use? Pros and cons?

Thanks!
    Last edited by el_tejas_gringo; 10-13-2021, 07:58 AM.

My personal top 3 would be Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nebraska

Comment

Ohio...I have hunted there a couple of years and there are some flat out monsters. Just gotta find a farmer willing to let you hunt his land. Out of state license is relatively cheap.

Comment

missouri has over the counter licenses, big deer, especially up north near iowa.

nebraska is otc as well i believe.

Comment

I would go with Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio as well. Iowa and KS are draw states and make it harder.

Comment

Kansas Iowa Missouri Ohio Wisconsin…..some will take some time to draw though

Comment

Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, ........but big bruusers are not under every corn stalk!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have land in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas and I hunt all of them and if I had to pick one it would be Oklahoma, it’s definitely the sleeper state with the best chance for a Booner without spending a ton on a guaranteed hunt situation. If your simply looking for a big bodied deer with a solid rack I’d say Kansas but if your into rolling the dice for a giant it would be Oklahoma during the rut in the right location. Our family has around 23k acres in the three states and our go to for a big deer has always been SE Oklahoma. If you have any questions on a solid place to hunt or with an outfitter in these locations I’m happy to help. As is everything it’s location, location, location without being shot out.

Comment

I would look into Kentucky. That is a sleeper state. They have been spitin out some monsters in the last few years.
                    I hunted Kansas for 14 years. It’s not what it used to be. That’s one of the reasons I quit hunting it, it was on a decline.
                    I think I would look at Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      I would look into Kentucky. That is a sleeper state. They have been spitin out some monsters in the last few years.
                      I hunted Kansas for 14 years. It’s not what it used to be. That’s one of the reasons I quit hunting it, it was on a decline.
                      I think I would look at Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois.
                      What area have you been hunting? We’ve hunted Kentucky the last 3 years and we stopped this year due to lack of productivity. I know every states got monsters but we’re looking for the right places to hunt and after a fortune spent with nothing to show for it we’re still looking for that special place.

We hunt around 5 different states every year due to tag issues and I’m not trying to hijack the OP’s thread but if you know a special place in Kentucky I’m interested for sure.

Comment

I have never hunted Kentucky. Just seen photos of deer killed there and they were very impressive. Scattered across different counties, but think were mostly on the western half of the state.
                        I have a friend that lives in Ohio but close to Kentucky line.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          missouri has over the counter licenses, big deer, especially up north near iowa.

nebraska is otc as well i believe.

This right here.......If you get up around the Moberly area in Northern MO that have some absolute Giants.

Nebraska has some big deer as well

Both states Non-resident licenses are very reasonable as well.

Iowa is on my bucket list just because its Iowa and I have been fascinated with it since I was young.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                            I would go with Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio as well. Iowa and KS are draw states and make it harder.
                            this but my order would be Ohio, Missouri then nebraska
                            have only hunted Missouri but i will hunt the other two soon

Comment

i think Indiana is a sleeper as well but not sure if they offer otc for non residents.

Comment

Working...
                              X