Wyoming moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some glory pics first then some fluff.

The rut was not started just yet, young bulls were staging with cows but mature bulls were still up in the dark timber. Made for tough hunting on mature bulls, we saw one 2 evenings before he shot his bull.
    He decided to hunt the ridge where we saw the more mature bull and had only cows come out that evening.
    Next morning at first light we were back, he climbed back up while I spotted from the road below.
    I spotted the young bull and gave him the signal. He stalked across the ridge to about 50-75 yds of the bull before it sighted him and got spooky. A grunt call made it pause for a successful shot, one shot kill.
    The bull died about 900 yds above the road and the truck. The pack out was steep but not terrible. 2 trips for the spouse, I pulled the sled and both packs up to the bull and carried down the straps and tenders. Spouse packed out a front shoulder and the head 1st trip and sledded down the 3 remaining quarters on the second trip.

It was a brisk morning with intermitted snow while we were working on the bull. Took 2 hrs to get him quartered and trimmed up and we had him back at camp by noonish.

We packed up camp and got on the road home by 3:30, pulled in at 9:30 pm.
    Attached Files

Comment

The ridge and cows he had below him one night and the pack down.
      Spouse was glassing from the scraggly tree at the top of the ridge.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wytex; 10-12-2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt and bull!

Comment

Awesome pics! And thanks for letting us tag along!

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats

Comment

Thanks for taking us along, nice Bull. Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! We probably passed each other as we were running from the storm in the lander foothills yesterday. Wyoming remains one of my favorite places. At least the parts I go to aren't like Co or Mt tourist spots.

Comment

Some camp and scenery pics.
                    Rolled in between little fronts and got camp set before the weather changed.
                    We had near constant temps of 31-34 degrees next 2 days with flurries off and on.
                    Sunday we broke into the 40's and clear for part of the day.
                    Monday morning the new front started in and spouse made the decision to take a young bull if he could.

Camp was cozy and warm. We brought some ash and other hardwood for the night time burn in the wood stove.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful Country!

Comment

The areas we were hunting and the high mountains where all the elk were hanging out. Too steep for us on the elk for sure.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing them and the story.

Comment

Now that is a load of meat! Congrats to him and thanks for sharing.

Rwc

Comment

Tried some backstrap today, going to give it another few days before we cut it all up. Quite tasty but had just a little chew to it. Should be awesome by end of the week or so.
                              The garage is about 30 degrees right now, we need a little warm up for proper aging, that comes next few days into the weekend.

Comment

freaking awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X