Youth and Rodeo's 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
    We’ve kinda taken last month off to give the horses a break and get back to 100%. Next couple of weeks are gonna be busy. Have some AJ’s , the Revolution Finals, and possibly WCRA Semi Finals in Oklahoma City. Not sure if we are gonna enter that since she would miss school. She is gonna miss a week in February at the Patriot trying to qualify for The American and run for a Million!!

[ATTACH]931962[/ATTACH]
    Nothing wrong with taking some time off

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
      Nothing wrong with taking some time off
      We all needed it!!! But it’s time to finish the year and get a jump on 2019

Comment

Well, we're starting to get our feet wet. Millie has been riding a little over a year. Her trainer says another 3 months and he'll have her competitive in 4H. Not headed to the NFR anytime soon, but she's having a ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
          Well, we're starting to get our feet wet. Millie has been riding a little over a year. Her trainer says another 3 months and he'll have her competitive in 4H. Not headed to the NFR anytime soon, but she's having a ball.

https://youtu.be/ePdgM-CuMB4
          They all start somewhere!!! Keep after it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post

https://youtu.be/ePdgM-CuMB4
            Nice. It is fun to watch them. Good luck and get ready for an awesome ride

Comment

Well another weekend of rodeos in the books. Riley had a busy 2 days starting on Friday. Friday afternoon she had her first run in Glen Rose at the Revolution Finale. Glen Rose is a tough pen do to the alley dropping down the levelin out. Gator didn't like it and they didn't hit their right pocket on the first which caused them to hit the 2nd . Friday night she had an AJRA rodeo in Hamilton. Her and Gator made a nice run to win 2nd.

Saturday was just crazy. Sat morning my phone start blowing up from missed calls and texts from ex and Riley. Finally woke up and my first thought something is wrong with horses. Call them and ex said their truck is DEF system is acting up and we would need to use my truck. Problem was somebody stole my goosneck ball. So plan B was to haul arse back to Kingsland and pick up their 2 horse. Off me and Riley go pick up trailer and haul butt back. Load gator and back to Glen Rose we go. Same issues but hit the third. Just a ugly run. Load Gator and Haul butt back to Hamilton for Sat. night performance. Well Riley just didn't ride well and they hit the 1st. 4 rodeo runs in 2 days is asking a lot out of a barrel horse and I think Gator was and Riley were tired mentally and physically. Overall a disappointing weekend but we did get one Check. Now its some little races to finish the yr and get ready for a strong start of 2019!!!!

Comment

Watched a video tonight of a friends son riding a bull, or getting on a bull. He fell off and his mom said he needs a new rope and made excuses. No he doesn't need a new rope. You can either show up to ride or you can just get on. Looking "out" at the first bobble isn't getting bucked off. You either nod to ride or you nod to say got on. If you don't give your perfect effort don't ***** when you don't succeed . It's simple as that. yea sometimes you have equipment failure but when you obviously quit don't *****. Rodeo is a tough sport and not easy.... On you, your horse or whatever you are competing against/with. You keep riding!!! Don Gay would say if you buck off and land on your feet you weren't trying hard enough. I won a lot of money with that second effort. Don't let go , don't quit, until you're forced to. That's the difference
                Last edited by BrandonA; 11-21-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Well both my kids spent the afternoon roping the dummy sled off horse back. They had a ton of fun and did great catching.

Comment

Well both my kids spent the afternoon roping the dummy sled off horse back. They had a ton of fun and did great catching.
                    Ground work is everything. I remember pushing and holding calves for my roommate Doug Pharr, multiple NFR qualifications . He always said anybody can rope to be 7 but can you tie to be 7. Championships aren't won in the arena they are won in the practice pen. Keep after it!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Ground work is everything. I remember pushing and holding calves for my roommate Doug Pharr, multiple NFR qualifications . He always said anybody can rope to be 7 but can you tie to be 7. Championships aren't won in the arena they are won in the practice pen. Keep after it!!
                      Practice practice practice. Kids spent two whole days roping the dummy during the Thanksgiving break. The first day my daughter was catching often. The 2nd day my son was catching just about every other loop. Will be interesting to see how they progress. Looks like another new horse will be in our future

Comment

Practice practice practice. Kids spent two whole days roping the dummy during the Thanksgiving break. The first day my daughter was catching often. The 2nd day my son was catching just about every other loop. Will be interesting to see how they progress. Looks like another new horse will be in our future
                        Something to try, have them rope the dummy opposite handed. It will force them to focus on the basics. Then have them switch back to normal. Make it fun

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
                          Bowhuntertex, I've got an 8 year old daughter getting into barrel racing also. She started learning 2 summers ago. Since then, she's just been racing at the ranch where she takes lessons. My MIL (who raced back in the 70's) bought a horse for her to ride about 3 months ago. She's just now getting close to being able to compete on her and we're looking for places to take her.

So far we've found the Suburban Riding Club in Tomball and I heard about a place in Willis. Where can I find more rodeos? Is there an organization that organizes youth rodeos?
                          If you have Facebook, search Wolf Barrel Racing Events, Barrel Racing in Texas, and Cathey Barrel Productions. Add yourself to the groups and they post upcoming events. We follow and attend a lot of Cathey Barrel Productions. We live in Huntsville, so the venues you see will be relatively in range, maybe just a little drive to some... Buffalo, Fairfield, Crockett, Willis, etc.. Cathey puts on great Productions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Well looks like a new barrel horse for my daughter is happening a little sooner than I originally thought. We are headed to look and ride a horse on Sunday. This will be a game changer for my daughter.

Son got a new roping saddle for Christmas and he is chopping at the bit to use it

Comment

Well the new horse is already getting spoiled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Today was a good day. Riley and Lucy made a real good run in Hamilton, 17.16. That little mare may lack in size but she makes up for it in heart and grit. Her 2nd run in 4 months . Due to all the rain Gator has soft hooves and pretty tender so we kept him out this weekend. Also got this Resitol Ride Safe hat in a silent auction and will give it to any TBH kid that will wear it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23CC4DBA-5518-4243-819C-9B1DFA78AD1A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24568244

Comment

Working...
                                X