Two Big Six Bow Kills!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Big Six Bow Kills!!!

We do a lot of our deer hunting in South Texas but most of our bow hunting is done back home in East Texas. Last Thursday (Oct. 11) was the first cool day since bow season opened. Surprisingly, there wasn't a lot of movement that morning so perhaps they played all night during the cool down. A few weeks ago we saw a big six point on camera and decided to set up a ground blind behind a fallen tree on the edge of the oat patch. I know--in East Texas, why hunt a ground blind when you have so many trees?! Trust me, I feel ya. But unfortunately, I tore my ACL and meniscus a few weeks ago and would rather not risk climbing a tree and tweak my knee worse and be stuck up there! Like any crazy hunter, I'm holding off surgery until the season is over. Anyway, I hunted the ground blind a few days and saw nothing but young bucks and slick heads while I fought sweat running into my eyes the whole time!

Last week, in preparation for the cool front, Michael set up a tree stand in an old log set between a bedding area along a slough that goes between two food plots. This stand location is about two miles as the crow flies from where I was hunting. We threw some corn on the ground but didn't have a feeder or camera. He decided to hunt it on Thursday to see if anything found the corn. In the morning, he saw a couple of nice young bucks but nothing exciting.

During the afternoon hunt, deer started coming in early for both of us. At about 5:30, I get a text from Michael that says "I just shot the big six!". While happy for him, I was a bit disappointed because that was the buck I was after. But I had a feeling that I was in the buck's home area, there haven't been any signs of the rut, and even though two miles is nothing for a deer to travel, there really wasn't any reason he would be on the move--maybe there were two!

Michael's shot was a clean pass through with good blood but he didn't see his buck go down in eyesight so he decided to wait a bit since it was early. At about 6:15 I texted him to ask if he had started trailing the deer, but I had to put my phone down because I caught a glimpse of a big fork out of the corner of my shooting window. I knew it was the big six coming in! I drew a bit early because he was already close and I thought he may see me move in the ground blind. As luck would have it, he stayed there for five minutes. My arm started quivering so I had to ease the bow down to regather my strength (and composure). In case I blundered everything, I risked a couple of quick photos with my phone to prove to Michael that there was in fact another big six!

I put the phone down as he started to graze toward my lane, and drew back again. He was quartering to me but was so close and was almost directly down wind, I decided to let loose! He whirled a 180 and took off like a drunk from the bar--he was messed up. But the arrow didn't pass all the way through so I made sure to watch because I knew there wouldn't be much blood. I texted Michael back that I just shot the "other" big six! He didn't text back because he was trailing his and the sun was setting. I decided to wait but not long because I though I heard a crash. I could track his prints because one of his tracks appeared to be dragging, but there were only drops of blood. The woods were thick so my concern grew when I reached the edge because the tracks wouldn't pick up as well in the leaves. After taking out my flashlight, I could easily see that he was pouring blood after catching that arrow on some branches. About two minutes of creeping though the underbrush I saw him piled up! The two-blade range entered just behind the left shoulder and came out a few inches in front of the back right leg.

Because of what was going on two miles away, I've never had such an exciting hunt and this will be one of my favorite memories. Two big six points, on the same property, same hunt, with bows! It's like winning the lotto! Big six points are as rare as a 170 and should be cherished trophies in anyone's book! There is actually a high 140s 8 point that was running with my buck, but the big six was still my target. After dragging him out of the woods, I noticed that the reason his track was so distinct was because his hoof was really deformed. It wasn't anything like foundering--but rather like he broke one half of the hoof completely off or wasn't born with all of it (pics below). Anyone ever seen something like this?

In looking at the bodies, we thought Michael's was a year older but they both weighed just over 160 lbs on the hoof. Based on body of size of our deer we figured they were either both 4.5, or mine was 3.5 and Michael's was 4.5. As far as size, both appeared equal on mass--with mine looking to have the better tine length but Michael's carrying longer beams and width. I'll post the scores and ages in the comments but would like to get guesses from folks. It's been a while since I shot a buck with a bow but this was a reminder that it is by far the most exciting and rewarding method of hunting!

P.S.--I'm not sure why the live photos of my buck are sideways because they are normal in my computer file. Sorry for you having to turn your head!
    Attached Files

Congrats on a good hunt!

Comment

Congrats, twinkies

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on two nice bucks.

Comment

Awesome trophies!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Yall did good.

Comment

Nice congrats!

Comment

Nice congrats

Comment

Man, great bucks. I love taking big 6's. Got one about 4 years ago and there's one on this year's hit list. Congrats guys!

Comment

Stud 6's!

Comment

At first I thought that hoof was some recessive stuff going on, but it looks broken. Nice big 6 sixers!

Comment

Hoss 6pts! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X