• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love knowing that no matter how imperfect I am, I am Blessed by our Lord,
    I love hearing my grandkids screaming PAW-PAW
    I love that my kids, for the most part, Have grown up to be good people
    I love the smell of fresh mowed grass
    I love the RUSH of drawing on an animal
    I love the way folks of the GS come together to help each other out when one of our own is in need
    This list could go on and on

Comment

The smell of fresh hay
      The woods first thing in the morning
      A good horse
      Fighting a good fish
      Good friends
      TEXAS
      Fall sunsets
      A margarita by the pool

Comment

Great Thread!

I love my son's laugh. It changes me.
        I love the beach. It relaxes me.
        I love hearing the coyote's tune up at dusk. It reminds me I'm outdoors.
        I love my wife.

Comment

I love the smell of rain, the cool breeze in the fall, the sound of my kids playing, and most of all my girls
          Attached Files

Comment

The smell of rain
            My daughters smile and laugh
            The cold wind on my neck and the sound of the woods coming alive at sunrise in the deer stand
            My grandmas cooking (I sure miss it)
            Hunting in a light drizzle
            Having a beer with my dad on the back of a tailgate
            My mothers hug
            setting the hook on a big speck

Comment

The smell of brisket on the smoker
              The sweat off of an ice cold beer running onto my hand
              My daughters playing on the horse swing in the front yard
              My wife sitting next to me humming along to the Willie Nelson song playing in the background

Comment

Smell of a two stroke in the morning
                Flipping a jig next to a laydown and setting the hook on a slaunch
                Woodducks buzzin through the timber before daylight
                A foggy morning in East Texas
                And fresh sheets on the bed

Comment

The smell of 2 stroke outboard exhaust while easing down a canal toward the bay while I'm rigging up at dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    Tom T Hall's song "I Love"

This came to mind.

Comment

I love:
                      the uncontrolled laughter of a child.
                      the innocence of a childs heart.
                      hugs.
                      making people laugh.
                      cool fall morings.

Comment

that Jesus forgave me even though i'm me
                        being with my family
                        hunting with my son
                        the sound of the alarm for a hunt
                        the sound of my kids playing

Comment

My God
                          My wife
                          My daughter
                          My family
                          My country
                          My Texas
                          My friends

Comment

The feel of the first northern in the fall.
                            The sound of the feeder going off on opening morning of bow season.
                            The sound of rain on a tin roof.
                            The sound of homemade ice cream churning in the tub.
                            The feel of big ole momma trout thumping a Corky in the winter time.

Comment

A lot of what has been posted brings back good memories for sure. That reminds me of something I wrote years ago and got published on outdoor eyes. Thanks for the thread....a good topic to end the week.

I grew up on the outskirts of the city. At a young age I found myself looking out the window waiting for a thunderstorm or glued to the television when their was a hint of snow flakes in the air. The weather fascinated me as did the changing of the seasons.

I loved all four seasons as a kid because each one brought something special into my life. Spring brought back life in every way, shape and form coming off of a dead winter. The birds were busy preparing nests to lay their eggs, the buzzing of lawnmowers could be heard from every street corner, the trees were dressed heavily in a new coat of leaves and the skies would turn dark with rolling clouds with the coming of thunderstorms. Even though the days were growing longer, the nights were still cool and the silence brought upon me a feeling of solitude.

Memories of summertime's gone by have a very special place in my heart. The scorching heat had us driving to the coast to find some sand and a nice rolling tide. My cousin and I would spend countless hours with a net in tow scooping up blue crabs along the rock groins in the Galveston surf. My dad, uncle and grandfather were avid fishermen and during the summer months I would tag along with them on their fishing adventures in the front bay system of Port 'O Connor. When I close my eyes I can see my Peepaw whistling a soft tune as he sat patiently looking over the salt grass where his cork danced in the ebbing tide. As on cue…the whistling melody would cease, his body would stiffen and his fishing rod would whip the air in a dramatic hook set. The flat bottomed boat would shake as I looked on in admiration as he tired the red fish down and into the waiting net. To this day when I fish the salt, I mimic his rod popping and hook set which tend to give me confidence because as a kid, he taught me how to whistle that salty tune.

Summertime just had that calm feeling to it as I recall. The days were hot and long but the late evening breeze would cleanse the soul and enrich the spirit. Summer would start to fade and the cicada's would vibrate the oak trees in the front yard which told me fall was just over the horizon. The changing of seasons would start once again and the leaves would start to fall from the oak trees out front. I sometimes wondered why the leaves would fall from the trees. I figured maybe the continuous vibration that the cicada's made could have been the culprit.

The sound of rakes hitting sidewalks replaced the sound of lawnmowers humming in the summertime heat. The evening light would start fading away sooner, little by little with each passing day. The days grew shorter and the night time air carried the scent of fallen leaves that drifted in the early fall breeze.

Fall was upon us... the mystical 'All Hallow's Eve' was just around the corner which meant the holiday season was fast approaching. Pumpkin's littered the front porches of houses throughout the neighborhood which glowed in the setting sky. As soon as it was here, the mystical holiday was gone. Talks of Christmas filled the air as I watched for signs of 'Jolly Old Saint Nick' to show up in the stores. Thanksgiving would arrive as my family would gather to fill up on food and laughter. Soon after Thanksgiving 'Silent Night' and 'Jingle Bell Rock' would play from our radio as my mom would decorate the tree. Christmas would come, the air would be frigid and a hint of winter magic drifted on the Christmas Eve breeze. The cycle would repeat itself as did my anticipation with the changing of the seasons.

I'm a bit older now with a family of my own. I often think back to my childhood and I can still feel the cool night air during the early stages of spring. I can still see the bellowing of the clouds as they gathered momentum turning into lightning, thunder and rain. I can still smell the asphalt after a daytime shower in the heat of a summertime afternoon. I can still feel the bitter cold after a true blue norther….the slap in the face, the numbing of the nose and the watering of the eyes. I look into my son's heart and can see the magic that I once had. I just don't look into the changing of seasons at face value. I cut into each season and look into the heart of each one. Times have changed, but the breeze will forever feel the same.
                              Last edited by Johnny; 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Great write up Johnny

Comment

Working...
                                X