X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    12 ga pump. End of discussion
    12ga or 20ga Even a single shot would work. Put a shell holder on the stock.

Comment

My cz550 243 in the classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
        Easy answer to me. Winchester 94. Tough as nails, no scope to knock off and bring plenty of punch
        This is what I was thinking. I think it will be tough to find one but maybe not.

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
        The issue is if he doesn't know much about guns, shooting a loud caliber next to a trap may make him uncomfortable and flinch every time. A 22 or 22 mag would be great for this. Lethal and fun to shoot. BUT, trying to kill a hog in the field with the same gun creates an obvious issue. Maybe a cheap .223 for hogs and a small 22 pistol for the trap would be a good way to go.
        This could happen. Like I said, he does dove hunt a decent amount so I would hope the noise wouldn't bother him. He would obviously like to kill the pigs but he would have fun throwing lead at them if it scared them off his property as well.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 blackout.
        Do these come open sight? if so, this may be a winner.

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        12 ga pump. End of discussion
        I also thought about this. An 870 with a slug or buck shot would likely do the trick.

Thanks for all of the replies. Keep them coming as this is giving me more ideas.

Comment

Also, his place is fairly narrow in some places and he has had concerns about a longer shooting gun leaving the property. This is another reason I was thinking a bigger slower bullet like 30-30 or 300 BO. I know that doesn't guarantee the bullet staying on property but it would definitely help compared to a faster flatter bullet.

Comment

One of those lever action rifles in .357/.38 spcl would be nice. Good ammo choices and plenty on knock out power. Not sure you could find one for $300.
            Maybe something on Texas Gun Trader??????????

Comment

Single shot 410 with some #4’s or buck shot. Don’t have to be that great of a shot and can still reach out there and hit one on the run if he has too

Comment

hard for a man to live on a "one gun does it all" mentality!!

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                  Also, his place is fairly narrow in some places and he has had concerns about a longer shooting gun leaving the property. This is another reason I was thinking a bigger slower bullet like 30-30 or 300 BO. I know that doesn't guarantee the bullet staying on property but it would definitely help compared to a faster flatter bullet.
                  Do you know where you can get hold of something in these caliber's for $300? If so, I want one too

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                    Single shot 410 with some #4’s or buck shot. Don’t have to be that great of a shot and can still reach out there and hit one on the run if he has too
                    .410? The man says he wants to kill them, not tickle em. LOL

Comment

Love my 22 mag for this exact purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        Do you know where you can get hold of something in these caliber's for $300? If so, I want one too
                        I don't and maybe my budget needs to be upped. I'm hoping to find a used one but I know that even that is a stretch.

Comment

Hard to narrow it down to a "one size fits all" approach, but for his needs, I would try to find a used 12 gauge Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 and run slugs or buckshot.

Comment

This might be a good truck gun for pig killing. Lots of cheap ammo available for it too.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                              .22 semi automatic Savage 64 from Walmart for $100. Use the rest of your money for ammo.
                              This

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                My cz550 243 in the classifieds
                                i'll take it! since you just volunteered it for $300 !

Comment

Working...
                                X