Is it my fuel pump? - Duramax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my fuel pump? - Duramax

Drove the 2006 Duramax to the lease today to fill feeders (60 miles round trip) and no issues. Jumped in her to run to town later and she cranked and backed up about 3’ and died. Then wouldn’t start.
    Gauge showed about an 1/8 tank so added some diesel and turned the key on to prime pump and still wouldn’t start.
    Opened the bleeder on the fuel pump with key turned on and no fuel coming out with bleeder wide open. I’m guessing fuel pump went out….??? That sound about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be crank position sensor.

Comment

Main problem… it’s a GM product.

Comment

Have you pumped the primer?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
          Have you pumped the primer?

Explain please.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
            Main problem… it’s a GM product.
            Probably one of the best ever made

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

On top of the filers housing there is a primer- silver about size of a quarter. Pump it until it gets hard. Try to start. Those filters are famous for crappy gasket seal- If fuel pump decided to come apart you got alit of problems

Comment

I have an 09 and if you got to 1/8 of a tank you sucked crap into your filter. Replace filter and always carry one. You have an 06, how often do you replace the fuel filter? I do every 20 k.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  On top of the filers housing there is a primer- silver about size of a quarter. Pump it until it gets hard. Try to start. Those filters are famous for crappy gasket seal- If fuel pump decided to come apart you got alit of problems
                  Good info here.

OP when was last time you changed fuel filter? Has the truck been sitting a while since you last burned a tank of diesel?

Comment

Most of the fuel pumps on my pickups that have failed, did so during hot weather like this.
                    Last edited by Katsaregood; 07-25-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                      Good info here.

OP when was last time you changed fuel filter? Has the truck been sitting a while since you last burned a tank of diesel?

Replaced the fuel filter about 200 miles ago during last oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post

That worked!!! THANKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                          That worked!!! THANKS!!!

You will probably want to either replace the filter housing unit or have it rebuilt. After they get old, the O-rings will start to fail and allow air in the system, causing it to lose prime.

I was was fortunate when mine failed. I got it started like you did. I have a friend who both him and his son are Duramax fanatics. The son rebuilt it and only charged me $25. Basilcally it was just replacing a few O-rings. Unless you have a crack in the housing , which has been known to happen.

I have had zero issues since he rebuilt it about 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                            That worked!!! THANKS!!!

It's a very common problem. I have an 08 and I've rebuilt mine about 10 times. Needs to be rebuilt right now. If I get below 1/4 tank and it sits for 8+ hrs, I have to pump it back up.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

The filter housing is very east to rebuild . Takes about 15 to 30 minutes. I did mine a few times .

Comment

Working...
                              X