Broken dam!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken dam!!

Lost my lake and my fish on Memorial Day. Apparently the Grapeland area had 11 plus inches over night. There were several others that lost their dams that night as well. The good news is nobody was hurt and it can be repaired. The bad news is I have to start over on growing my fish.
    Attached Files

Damm, sorry to hear that. A lot of hard work and money went into that, I'm sure

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get up & running soon.

Comment

That really sucks.

Need to get some vegetation on it asap.

Comment

That’s a shame! The previous owner of our place built a beautiful 3/4 acre pond with a dam / levee but he didn’t install an overflow… with all of this rain I have lost so many feesh that it would make a grown salty old man cry! You’ll have great memories rebuilding your pond and your feesh herd. When the next drought hits, I’m installing an overflow :-)

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
            Lost my lake and my fish on Memorial Day. Apparently the Grapeland area had 11 plus inches over night. There were several others that lost their dams that night as well. The good news is nobody was hurt and it can be repaired. The bad news is I have to start over on growing my fish.
            No spillway, or just not in the pics ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              No spillway, or just not in the pics ?
              It is left of the island in the first pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                That really sucks.

Need to get some vegetation on it asap.
                We had a hydro seeding company that was going to spray after the rain. Whoops!!

Comment

What a great opportunity to build in some new structure, and make it twice what it was

Comment

That sucks. During the Great Rains of 2015 in NTX, i had to build a few back up myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      Damm, sorry to hear that. A lot of hard work and money went into that, I'm sure
                      Thank you. You are correct. It’s not really the work or the money that upset me. It was the loss of the fish that I have been feeding and growing for the last year.

Comment

Hate to see something like that. Our pond went from concerningly low, to almost hitting the overflow in just the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          What a great opportunity to build in some new structure, and make it twice what it was
                          We have looked at it as an opportunity to clean some of the brush out that we left in the first time. There is plenty of natural structure ( flooded timber ). Lake/ pond is about 4 acres in size and half of that is/was flooded timber.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                            It is left of the island in the first pic.
                            The emergency spillway is typically at either end of the dam. Is the cut in the dam where the pipe outlet was or was there no pipe? Was this a do it yourself pond or did you hire a contractor? Any contractor worth a darn would have surveyed it and constructed it with controls in place to mitigate wash outs

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                              The emergency spillway is typically at either end of the dam. Is the cut in the dam where the pipe outlet was or was there no pipe? Was this a do it yourself pond or did you hire a contractor? Any contractor worth a darn would have surveyed it and constructed it with controls in place to mitigate wash outs
                              The spillway was/is at the end of the dam and there was an emergency spillway at the other end as well. I do not believe the failure was the fault of the contractor. There were a couple of ponds in the same area that were decades old and they lost their dams as well. One of those being salmon lake Park built in the 60’s. 11 inches of rain in a few hours is going to cause flooding and I didn’t have the funds to build a Hoover type dam. Things happen and we just have to regroup and rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                              X