No announcement yet.

Wifes fence vs reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many have stated wood does look good but you will get old and upkeep will not go away.

Comment

Well if you get horses they can be expensive and need constant attention. A little wood fence will fit right in. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Do it the way you said. Just explain it to her. Dont much matter what you say as long as you start with "Listen up woman!". After that she will understand and make you a sammich.

Comment

Oh boy! Horses and a wood fence? You're never going to recover financially from this

Comment

Subscribing to this. I think I’ll get some good life lessons out of this thread dealing with the wife. We just bought land in Washington County. The seller will be fencing the exterior with horse fence and the interior fence will be T-post and wire. Similar situation, wife likes the idea of the wood, but I don’t like the idea of the future maintenance.

Comment

This is coming from experience... horses can and do chew the boards like beavers. They will lean on, rub on, and otherwise push through over time. Be prepared to run electric around the inside to keep them off it. Neighboring dogs can be a concern, getting in and chasing the horses. Wood looks good initially, but wear and weather take a toll quickly. You don’t see many serious horse farms in Texas with wood fences, and there is a reason. And a wooden gate? Absolutely not. A pipe frame with wooden insets like the one above sure, but not solid wood. The boards will warp over time, screws will loosen, and it won’t open/shut properly. From one wife to another, I get the whole wanting it to look nice thing, but the safety of the horses should be priority with looks further down the list. I’m sure she’s reasonable.

Comment

Happy wife. Happy life. I ain't been married 31 years for nothin'

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  Make her agree to maintain and paint it. In two years it will look like crap
                  Like said above You put it up and she Paint and Maintain

Comment

I tried this fight!!! We ended up with what she wanted and a lot of NOT fun times in between. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      Overdo it on a nice entrance gate and some landscaping. Maybe a little bit of surrounding pipe approach. Still gonna cost you some coin but she will be happy with it and your cost to maintain is minimal. T-post and 5 strand barbed wire the rest.
                      Dumb question but are all the post concreted in and how deep ?

Comment

Recycled rubber fence posts and old car tires. When animals run into it they just bounce off
                        Attached Files

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Board fences are pretty for a month or so after they are finished. If you go board fence at least you'll always have a project maintaining it. Not no but hell no.
                          Tell her the experts say NO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            Dumb question but are all the post concreted in and how deep ?
                            Yes, the 2 main 8" pipes are encased in concrete but I'm not sure how deep to be honest. They were installed prior to us buying the property.

Comment

No way I’d pay three times the amount that t post cost. She could spend a little on a shopping trip with the money you’d save.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                                Overdo it on a nice entrance gate and some landscaping. Maybe a little bit of surrounding pipe approach. Still gonna cost you some coin but she will be happy with it and your cost to maintain is minimal. T-post and 5 strand barbed wire the rest.
                                This get's my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X