No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this passed week I saw several bucks that looked like they were chasing just outside of San Marcos.

Outside of Fredericksburg we haven’t seen any chasing. But
    It seems close though. Deer are hammering the feeders but still have some no
    Shows from last year, not sure if they died or have a hidden food source.

Comment

I'll be hunting southwest of center point tomorrow with bow and rifle in hand. Then, this weekend with my son to hopefully get him his first deer. I have noticed the last few years I see more bucks at or near my feeder starting in late October to about Thanksgiving. The key dates that have almost always showed the most and bigger buck activity has been between Nov 12 to 17. So I'm hoping I can get one tomorrow but more so my son this weekend. Good luck to everyone headed out this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Any updates on rut activity? Headed out Thursday for a couple days with my rifle. I’m still not seeing several of my bucks from last year. We didn’t have many acorns but the deee pulled off the feeders for a bit. Last check up was youth weekend. Daughter killed a mature 8 and I killed a doe with my bow a couple days prior. I’m not even seeing any cull bucks which is a nice change. But I’m apparently low on targets since I am a self proclaimed cull master now . They gotta be close to cranking up the rut action. My dad will be joining me frisk Thursday to Saturday morning. We don’t have any target deer currently. But the north wind will hopefully get the big boys on their feet and searching.
        They were sniffing around but nothing too serious. I had bucks in the feed pen last weekend, with each other. They would take off and chase a doe, but then turn around and come right back. I think this weekend may be a good weekend to be in the woods. Thinking it could explode at any moment.

Comment

I’m finally going to head back to the ranch this weekend, first time since I killed my buck opening weekend of bow season. Looking forward to taking some pictures and hopefully get a doe or two on the ground! Also going to possibly move a set up to see if I can get it more dialed in.

Comment

Got my best buck so far on our company ranch near Junction on Friday. Wife got her best last Sunday on our lease. Has been a great season so far. Hoping my daughter can get herself a pig and doe next week.

[IMG] upload image[/IMG]

upload image

Comment

Great bucks!! Congratulations!

Comment

Nice looking bucks. Congratulations to you both!

Comment

2 great bucks, droebuck.
                  congrats to y'all.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Way to go Donny and Mindy!!!
                      One of the guys on our lease shot this one this past weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After all the years my brother, dad and I have been hunting together we finally doubled up. I shot a deer we called The Bomber. He was a 6 year old that I’ve watched for the past 3 years. He was actually the very first buck I ever saw after gaining access to hunt this place. Pretty cool ending to the history with him. He’s always been a clean 10 with both brows but only grew one this year for some reason. We had talked about passing him and giving him a chance to put it back on next year, but made the last minute decision to take him once he came out. It was a great hunt with my dad and niece in the blind with me. My brother killed a deer we called The Rock. I have pictures of him last year but never saw him in person. We are guessing him to be 8+. Not a high scorer, but a great deer to get off the feed bill and it’s always fun to outsmart an old warrior like that. He was super scared up and you could tell he had been around the block a time or two. It ended up working out really neat on Saturday evening. My brother shot his buck and watched him fall 20-30 yards from the stand. He just left him and drove back to camp to wait on us. We were all in a blind that is 600-700 yards from camp, but there’s a clearing that you can see the blind and feeder in. He sat in camp and got to watch us shoot the deer I killed. We waited for him to ride over there so we could all be there when we walked up on him. After snapping some quick pictures we went and loaded my brothers deer up as well. It was a super special moment with the little group that we had all being there together and seeing the first double we’ve ever had. It was a weekend I’ll never forget!

Comment

Awesome bucks everyone!

Comment

Congratulations to you both on your nice bucks!

Comment

Was an awesome weekend. Memories made for sure.

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post

After all the years my brother, dad and I have been hunting together we finally doubled up. I shot a deer we called The Bomber. He was a 6 year old that I’ve watched for the past 3 years. He was actually the very first buck I ever saw after gaining access to hunt this place. Pretty cool ending to the history with him. He’s always been a clean 10 with both brows but only grew one this year for some reason. We had talked about passing him and giving him a chance to put it back on next year, but made the last minute decision to take him once he came out. It was a great hunt with my dad and niece in the blind with me. My brother killed a deer we called The Rock. I have pictures of him last year but never saw him in person. We are guessing him to be 8+. Not a high scorer, but a great deer to get off the feed bill and it’s always fun to outsmart an old warrior like that. He was super scared up and you could tell he had been around the block a time or two. It ended up working out really neat on Saturday evening. My brother shot his buck and watched him fall 20-30 yards from the stand. He just left him and drove back to camp to wait on us. We were all in a blind that is 600-700 yards from camp, but there’s a clearing that you can see the blind and feeder in. He sat in camp and got to watch us shoot the deer I killed. We waited for him to ride over there so we could all be there when we walked up on him. After snapping some quick pictures we went and loaded my brothers deer up as well. It was a super special moment with the little group that we had all being there together and seeing the first double we’ve ever had. It was a weekend I’ll never forget!

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post

Congrats again fellas! Nothing better than sharing these moments with family, especially when you get the little ones involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X