Congrats to all the successful hunters.

Comment

I saw my target buck this morning but he did not leave the feeder pen

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
        I saw my target buck this morning but he did not leave the feeder pen

I believe that I understood what you posted, but we need it to be explained again. Are we missing something?

Comment

I’m guessing he hunts over hand corn away from the feeder and the buck never came to the hand corn so he didn’t have a shot?

Comment

I gotcha. Makes sense. Thought maybe he was still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
              I gotcha. Makes sense. Thought maybe he was still there.
              I have no clue though, just guessing. I usually have my set ups around 30 yards out, then hand corn a lot closer. Makes for better photography and videos. Plus the deer don’t have to move as much for each kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                I have no clue though, just guessing. I usually have my set ups around 30 yards out, then hand corn a lot closer. Makes for better photography and videos. Plus the deer don’t have to move as much for each kernel.
                Yes sir thats why. Feeder pen is to my left and I needed him out in front of me for pictures and a clear shot.

Comment

Thats a big un...good luck

Comment

Yes sir thats why. Feeder pen is to my left and I needed him out in front of me for pictures and a clear shot.

Sounds like we think alike on this!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if we were in for another 8 page tracking/recovery LDP post since 'he never left the pen'.
                      Will be watching for the real deal. Good luck.

Comment

Got a decent 8 point in Blanco County Saturday night. The shot isn't perfect but was enough to kill the deer. However, I called in Carroll Kelly and his dogs and they finished the job. By the time we caught up with the dogs, following the chase, the deer was essentially dead.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iyF2OF9G4"]Blanco County Archery 8 Point - 2021 - YouTube[/ame]
                        Last edited by Casey; 10-18-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Excellent video! So what was the determination with the shot?? Looked like it should have been one lung minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                            Excellent video! So what was the determination with the shot?? Looked like it should have been one lung minimum.
                            Thanks! We're thinking one lung. He went 600 yards from the shot sight. Just a tough critter. Here is a pic from a trailcam about 250 yards from where I shot him, and about 10 minutes after the shot. He's panting, which indicates lung. I did not go into the cavity when dressing. The broadhead was destroyed so I'm thinking it hit offside shoulder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8 point.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	24665587

Blood we found about 50 yards to the gate under a brush pile. It had some froth to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_192637.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	24665588

Comment

[QUOTE=Casey;15880924]Got a decent 8 point in Blanco County Saturday night. The shot isn't perfect but was enough to kill the deer. However, I called in Carroll Kelly and his dogs and they finished the job. By the time we caught up with the dogs, following the chase, the deer was essentially dead.

Nice hill country buck, Casey. Was he still alive when the dogs found him?

Comment

Nice Casey! Cool video too.

That’s a beast you’re chasing TXhoghunter. Can’t wait to see an LDP of that guy. Now that you’ve seen him in person, do you have any guess as to what you think he’ll tape out at?

I’m finally going to get to hunt this next weekend for the first time. Between regular work days, classes for work I gotta go out of town for, weddings, and time spent with the wife I’m not gonna have a ton of time in the stand this year. My wife is coming with me this go round and if she wants to we are gonna try and hunt one of the junkiest deer I’ve ever had the pleasure of growing. Got a few other management bucks on the list for me. No trophy’s are regularly showing up at any of the spots right now. Several great bucks around but they are all 3-4 year olds. If we can keep them safe, we’ll have a few that are gonna be close to the 150” mark in 2-3 more years.

Comment

Working...
                                X