Hunting Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer View Post
    What part of Alaska are you going to hunt?
    Western AK. Apparently where I’ll be is remote by Alaskan standards or that’s just what my pilot considers remote. I’ll probably do a thread as it gets closer with gear, research, logistics, and other details for guys who are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DaDust View Post
      Looking forward to reading about your DIY hunts. I'm planning on hunting Alaskan black bear in the near future. What stories do you have for big black bear? Not sure it will be a DIY or guided trip.
      Bear are everywhere. It’s just a matter of selection.
      Prince William Sound has a lot of good spring bear. You cruise the shorelines with a boat and glass, then stalk.
      I had a bait station south of Anchorage for quite a few years, my buddy took it over when I left, but I don’t think he hunts it anymore. I accessed it by airboat but it is walkable and not a hard walk but a few miles. On railroad tracks except for the couple hundred yards into the bush. Very doable hunt with lots of hills on both sides of the tracks to glass. Took 3 really big bear out of there. All 3 squared over 7’ and skull scored over 20” almost grizzly class.
      My best friend works a gold mine just a tad bit north on Valdez. They open the mine in May. They have many bear come thru camp and he said he can sit at his camper and spot them all over the hillside. If he is still working there next spring, he would point anyone in the right direction.

Comment

Was stationed at Eielson AFB for 5 years. Made an annual trek to the North Slope every year for caribou. Miss public land hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba View Post
          Love to hear what you have in that head of yours.
          An Alaska Caribou hunt is on my bucket list.
          Thanks for sharing.
          As far as Caribou.......there are not a lot of open areas south of the brooks range. Most are lottery draw. Because they are fairly accessible. If you were to get lucky enough to get a draw tag, then you have to plan from there.

I’ve had a lot of friends come to Alaska to hunt. This is what they did. Of course they had some “inside” help because I lived there, but they got a group of 6 guys and came in 2 trucks. Drove from Pa. pulled a trailer with a freezer on it. Small generator to run it. Once they got there I supplied the boats and quads, but they could easily be brought along with you.
          A 16/18’ jet boat can run most rivers there. I prefer airboat, but that’s just me.
          Here is where the boat comes in handy......north of the Brooks it is archery for 5 miles either side of the road. You can do good if your sneaky and don’t get messed up by other hunters. But for those who don’t want to do bow, you put the boat in the Sag river and run it upstream until you find the Ivashek. A mile or so up the Ivashek and you can hunt with a rifle. There is usually 100 pieces of surveyors tape around a bush marking the 5 mile line.
          If a bunch of guys go, you might have to shuttle several trips up the river.
          Extra fuel is 120 mile RT. Dead horse.
          Another great archery hunt there is to have someone drop you way up the Sag river and float it with a raft. It runs close to the road all the way to deadhorse.
          Great fishing for Artic Char and Grayling that time of year, world class!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
            Was stationed at Eielson AFB for 5 years. Made an annual trek to the North Slope every year for caribou. Miss public land hunting.
            I lived right behind the Knotty Shop in Salcha, ran the Wood Hobby shop on Eielson from 05 to 2010
            I miss it to. So different here.

Comment

I lived up there for 11 years total. Wanted to go back but couldn't pass up the job I was offered here.

Comment

Sounds like you had some great adventures in Alaska. Are you already in the Comstock area? I work out there and would enjoy hearing about some of the public land hunting up in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                  Interested in hunting moose, would be willing to consider a small group of TBH’ers to join efforts
                  If you do get a group together, look at the AK Draw hunts. There are some good odds of getting a tag for Archery only hunts.
                  And some of the archery only areas don’t require a draw tag. The pic on this thread was in an Archery only area right outside North Pole. We used a quad to pull him out, but it would have been a very short pack job.
                  Most DIY hunts are going to require some sort of transportation. Be it aircraft, boat or quad. A few spots you can drive to with a truck and get lucky and find one near the road, it happens. But best to hedge your odds and get away from the crowd a bit.
                  That area we took that bruiser in my avatar is a pretty easy quad ride. A few deep mud holes, but you got to pick your way around them. It a gold mine road. You don’t see a lot of moose there, but when you do, it’s usually a shooter. We took at least 5 over 50” from there. If I was asked to recommend a trophy area, it would be there or on the Yukon River. The Yukon can be hunted by jet boat.
                  And most areas are spike/fork or 50” for non-resident.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Sounds like you had some great adventures in Alaska. Are you already in the Comstock area? I work out there and would enjoy hearing about some of the public land hunting up in Alaska.
                    No sir, we will be there at Seminole Canyon SP as park hosts starting Sept.
                    I can sure tell you all about sleeping with Kodiak bear!

Comment

In for future info!

Comment

Following. I would like a Caribou hunt in the near future.

Comment

Some more Alaska action. The pic with all the dead Bou. We were fishing at camp for Char when the herd came thru camp. Only way to go. That tundra will wear you out!
                          Last edited by Airboatpete; 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

slacha pete the wood shop guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Airboatpete View Post
                              I lived right behind the Knotty Shop in Salcha, ran the Wood Hobby shop on Eielson from 05 to 2010
                              I miss it to. So different here.
                              Wife and I were both enlisted, there from 90-95.
                              I would drag her north of the Yukon to bear bait.
                              Never got a bear. Only success was a nice caribou my third trip up.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXXaN View Post
                                slacha pete the wood shop guy?
                                Yes sir, that used to be me. Sounds like our paths may have crossed!

Comment

Working...
                                X