No announcement yet.

Worst meal a guest ever brought to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew a guy that when he left town on Friday, he would buy a dozen Arby’s sandwiches, just meat and bread, that was for whole weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
      I grew up working in restaurants so when I feel like it I end up cooking pretty big meals. I do enjoy a steak over mesquite at deer camp but I’m also just as happy with sausage and tortilla.

Heck my wife is leaving town tomorrow for the week and I’m looking forward to having spam and eggs, spam fried rice and loco moco while she’s gone... sometimes the simple things are pretty good

This guy has to be Hawaiian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We eat like kings at deer camp! We are fortunate that our wives are so fond of getting rid of us for a few days... They make all sorts of casseroles both for breakfast and for dinner, then there's always a night or 2 we have steaks, and I mean bigguns... one of the guys is real creative at coming up with the most amazing salads... He usually builds those while I'm grillin'.

Comment

Sausage and egg tacos with sausage that had been in a ziplock in the freezer 3 years and was rancid. Nope
          Never kick in on groceries for a long trip with out helping pick out the groceries.
          For 6 people on a 10 day deer hunt they bought 24 cases of beer, 2 cases Dinty Moore beef stew, 1 case Wolf Brand chili, coffee, 2 loaves of bread and 1 dozen eggs. I survived on quail and jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
            OMG, Some people know how to "Meal" and some people just know how to get by. The point is he supplied what he knew how to do, you supplied what you know how to do (yours was better but his was his best). Eat the balonaga and cheese crackers and tell him great job.

This exactly.

The guy is a friend (according to the OP). I wouldn’t disinvite my friends from trips because they fail to meet expectations that I never laid out for them. If I invite someone, there are no strings attached. If they offer something up, no matter how small, it is accepted with sincere appreciation.

If it’s a joint venture, or they requested the invite, divisions of labor and provisions are clearly delineated.

He helps you fill feeders and brings food. If you think he should do more, tell him. He can’t read your mind. Maybe he can’t cook a lick and felt it would be inappropriate to bring a meal that his host would have to prepare.

All this to say that he’ll probably have no issue providing a meal to suit your discerning palate if he is informed of the camp customs and assured there are willing cooks to do the dirty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you’re invited to hunt for free at someone’s place, and you know that they eat like kings, and you can’t splurge for some good food? Well, don’t be surprised if you don’t get invited back now if I’m headed to the lease alone, it’s a loaf of bread and a few pounds of homemade sausage links to throw on the grill

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                I loved being a kid and hunting with my dad. He'd pick me up from school at lunchtime and we'd stop by the store. We bought bread, bologna, mustard, Pringles, vienna sausages, sardines in a can, smoked oysters, crackers, pork skins, powdered donuts, honey buns, and plenty of RC cola.

The other day, my mom told me that he has a favorite sushi....the same man described above. What in the cornbread hell?!?!?!?!?
                Moon pies are the only thing I could add to that list. Everything else is exactly what my Pop would get.

The gentleman on the last lease I was on educated my with regards to how to eat good at deer camp. Before that, Earl Campbell’s sausage would have been a huge treat.

Comment

Yall might laugh, but I do a 3 or 4 day hunt after Thanksgiving lunch, and all I bring to the lease are Thanksgiving leftovers. I love it, and it's great food!

Comment

It wasn't exactly a meal, but some home made venison jerky.

The guy worked in a salt mine and over salted everything he ate. He brought some strips of meat rolled in salt and not even dried. So much salt encrusted on it that it resembled those sugar coated gummy fruit candies...but soft and limp.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      You sound like a terrible guest to invite, unless your jam up cook wife sent you down with something to heat up

I would just as soon turn down a hunt as a guest to a nice place to kill a free animal or not offer to pay of gas and ice on someone else boat , then show up with out some thing decent to eat and a bottle or two of my host favorite brand of whiskey as a token of appreciation
                      You sir get it. My dad told me growing up if you don't have the money to go stay at home. I guess how I took it pay your own way don't be a f n mooch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                        WTH is wrong with mayo. Needed for sammiches
                        Nope. Can't stand mayo.

Gary

Comment

Sardines in green chiles, some saltines and a can of Van Camps poke n beans.
                          I like a can of smoked oysters for desert.

Comment

I can go fancy or go simple.

But, to me, the real issue is the lack of communication and/or courtesy by OP’s guest. Every hunting trip I’ve been on there has been some communication by both guest and owner on what food will be provided and by whom. Additionally, I think OP’s guest showed some lack of tact or gratitude by not splurging on food when invited to hunt and when he knows how OP likes to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              I loved being a kid and hunting with my dad. He'd pick me up from school at lunchtime and we'd stop by the store. We bought bread, bologna, mustard, Pringles, vienna sausages, sardines in a can, smoked oysters, crackers, pork skins, powdered donuts, honey buns, and plenty of RC cola.

The other day, my mom told me that he has a favorite sushi....the same man described above. What in the cornbread hell?!?!?!?!?
                              Sounds like my dad and I when I was growing up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I have it made, I have friend who invites me out to hunt his lease all the time. He brings all the food and beverages. Won't let me bring the food (which would be steak and taters) and we eat like kings. Lets me shoot whatever I want. He said he is doing the inviting and doesn't want me bringing anything. He also does most of the cooking. But I am also the only one that goes with him to the lease in the off season to fill feeders, move/repair stands, etc., including lease members and he appreciates the free help and I appreciate the free hunts. It is a win win for both of us.

And honestly, it isn't about the food you eat or the critters you kill, it is about the fellowship with friends in the outdoors.

Comment

Working...
                                X