Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture time
    8pt 80lbs 20 yard shot recovered in 80 yards
    7pt 95lbs 50 yard HEADSHOT. Recovered in ZERO yards.

These guys earned and deserved it. We drove the refuge Friday before scouting Saturday, and me solo on Sunday. We were absolutely defeated after scouting Saturday, so much that we just had to pick a place to drop tripods. They hunted every day, hard,even sat through Satrudays horrible storm in the dark while on he tripod [emoji1787]. Not me! They ended up hunting near the locations I scouted Sunday, which sucked but was worth the extra effort. These are true trophies for those who've experienced Aransas NWR. I remember one comment from my bud to Tyler, " Man I've got a 180" deer on the wall at home and I'm way more proud of this one"
    That's what hunting Aransas and similar hunts is all about. It truly is more rewarding. I saw a post on FB of a guy I know who was proudly holding a buck, captioned 45pts scored 371". I replied, "That's a martian." Because it is one, it doesn't belong here, that's not natural. That's not fascinating , its disgusting if you ask me. The hunting scene has turned into something along the path of highdollar folks thinking that kind of animal gives them some elite status or achievement. It doesnt. Real hunters are not fooled. That's a genetically modified organism,probably conceived through artificial insemination, raised in captivity and force fed an unnatural diet. That's not natural, that's a martian, created by humans, and certainly not by God.

Aransas NWR is real deal true pure hunting. Success here is a true hunters feat. So to hear those words, that's living proof.

I've hated every single inch of this place since scouting weekend and swore I'll never come back. So much,that my group all declined to pay for the gun hunt permits as I was so disenchanted after scouting. I thought why the **** would anyone want to even come here? I've had a change of heart. I still hate the place for many reasons, but the challenge and reward and pure hunting is what makes me love it at the same time. Perhaps I'll come back, after all, myself and my group are happily satisfied. We had a good time, good food, good company, tough but oddly good success hunting and it made for a great trip and memories.

I can stay as long as I want,not sure if I'll make it through Sunday. Hopefully I don't have to.

Thoughts from the tripod. Wish me some luck now!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Public; 10-04-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Awesome to see all of the folks filling tags, I myself got skunked, never even saw a deer or pig during legal shooting light. Had a great time though! Tough hunt but I am definitely coming back next year assuming i can get a permit. Made some good friends down there at Hoppers who were nice enough to let me hitch rides in and out with the roads being so bad. The little civic wasn't gonna cut it out there! Haha

Comment

HUGE shout out to GBludau! He made my living arrangements SO much nicer and honestly kept the fuel in my fire!
        Think I might have made a long time hunting partner, at least once a year for sure. Even though I hated this place, I LOVED it all at the same time. I hunted 3 morning and 4 evenings, between hunting and scouting I walked 21 +/- miles and drove 900 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am happy to see all the updates and pics. I had to go back home to help the wife with some honey do's, but am on my way back to Aransas now. Hopefully the animals keep moving. Even more hopeful that my stand has been accepted by the deer. See you guys soon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m going to try some walk in hunts on PHL . This Aransas was hard going . I was very impressed. I wish I had my truck. Those tripods looked like the right deal. So what is the tally thus far y’all?

Comment

Originally posted by ibethemarc View Post
              I am happy to see all the updates and pics. I had to go back home to help the wife with some honey do's, but am on my way back to Aransas now. Hopefully the animals keep moving. Even more hopeful that my stand has been accepted by the deer. See you guys soon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
              Good luck brother. Glad I met you . Thought I’m might go back but the reports look grim for another 3-4 hr drive .

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
                HUGE shout out to GBludau! He made my living arrangements SO much nicer and honestly kept the fuel in my fire!
                Think I might have made a long time hunting partner, at least once a year for sure. Even though I hated this place, I LOVED it all at the same time. I hunted 3 morning and 4 evenings, between hunting and scouting I walked 21 +/- miles and drove 900 miles.

That place ant easy for sure.

Comment

7:38 PM. Dark. I was getting my pack ready to get down and low and behold I see a buck come cruising through at 35 yards. I drew back but couldn't make out the body in my peep. He started walking away so gave him the ol "meh" and let it loose. Heard impact. Heard splashing for a second. Then silence. Recovered arrow. Pass thru but bad sign. All meat, no blood. No hope for recovery. Had to try on Day 6

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                    7:38 PM. Dark. I was getting my pack ready to get down and low and behold I see a buck come cruising through at 35 yards. I drew back but couldn't make out the body in my peep. He started walking away so gave him the ol "meh" and let it loose. Heard impact. Heard splashing for a second. Then silence. Recovered arrow. Pass thru but bad sign. All meat, no blood. No hope for recovery. Had to try on Day 6

Happens to the best of us. If you wouldn't have taken the shot you would have regrets. Don't beat yourself up. Better luck next time.

Comment

You still had 3 minuets of shooting time left, there was plenty of light. Hopefully he'll recove and be fine.

If you found you're arrow in the water the blood may have been washed off. Over night recovery on the refuge doesn't usually end well, coyotes and hogs.

Yesterday evening I was covered up with hummingbirds. This happens every time when you place your stand in the sunflowers and Turk's Hats...lol

Didn't see anything to shoot and no tracks, so today at lunch I'm moving my stand to another area.

Comment

*Seconds before I shot*
                        I wouldn't say plenty of light or be as definitive to say there was 3 minutes of light remaing, cause that was not the case where I was. Looks pretty dark to me in this photo with infrared lighting. Glad I got a photo to see what he actually was.

Comment

If you're reading this on the stand stay hunting, I've seen several deer and gators driving since 10:30am. They are moving

Comment

Things I learned from my week at Aransas:
                            Get to the dentist to have fillings and crownsbreset,
                            Nothing beats thermacell when your not moving,
                            Soaked clothes in Sawyers repellent, 100% DEET on skin, 45% DEET sprayed all over, still plan on multiple bites,
                            Cotton mouths are no more aggressive than a pit bull when you take his bone,
                            # of hunters who swear they take their marking tape when they go home=300,
                            # of hunters who take their marking tape when they go home = ? Let me know when you meet him,
                            Time to replace tires and all suspension components,
                            Have family in the towing business.

Y'all have great rest of the hunt and be good to one another and especially Officer Giles!

Comment

Originally posted by Triprhw View Post
                              Things I learned from my week at Aransas:
                              Get to the dentist to have fillings and crownsbreset,
                              Nothing beats thermacell when your not moving,
                              Soaked clothes in Sawyers repellent, 100% DEET on skin, 45% DEET sprayed all over, still plan on multiple bites,
                              Cotton mouths are no more aggressive than a pit bull when you take his bone,
                              # of hunters who swear they take their marking tape when they go home=300,
                              # of hunters who take their marking tape when they go home = ? Let me know when you meet him,
                              Time to replace tires and all suspension components,
                              Have family in the towing business.

Y'all have great rest of the hunt and be good to one another and especially Officer Giles!

I took my stands out yesterday, 100% took down my tape.

Comment

Hank just saw a guy walk out the road I think you're set up down. He flagged another truck. He may be stuck too. Just a heads up so you know

Comment

Working...
                                X