No announcement yet.

Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets hope its just rain and its looking like that's what we're going to get.

1. A trough of low pressure is located over the central Gulf of
    Mexico. Although associated shower activity remains limited,
    upper-level winds are forecast to become more conducive for
    the development of a tropical depression before the system reaches
    the western Gulf coast on Friday. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane
    Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the disturbance later
    today, if necessary. Regardless of development, heavy rainfall and
    gusty winds are expected across portions of northeastern Mexico,
    Texas, and Louisiana late this week. Interests there should monitor
    the progress of this system, and refer to products from their local
    weather office.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
    * Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

Comment

Isaac, round two following the same path.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info, Thumper. Any idea how much rain it'll take for them to cancel the hunt? Sounds like there's already been plenty down there. And did they give much notice before they cancelled the hunt last year? I know these are general/tough questions to answer, just looking for some guidance before I cancel any travel plans. Been too excited for this hunt to have a little (a lot) of rain get in the way. Holding a good thought for the folks with property in the path of these storms.

Comment

The church said AMEM!

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
          I will also be there the 28th too.

Just a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

If you are REALLY going to do your scouting the 1ST DAY of the hunt, you won't be making friends with guys that already did their scouting and are hunting when you come busting through the area they are currently hunting. Please have common decency and some sportsman-like etiquette and quietly move out the area if you encroach someone.

More importantly, if you are having to scout the first day of the hunt, WAIT UNTIL several hours(4) after sunrise. Don't be that guy breaking brush at dawn.
          Preach it brother! Nothing is worse than someone walking by at first light or in the evening right when it’s the best .

Comment

Water is good

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            Get yalls canoes and kayaks ready . Been getting lots of rain down here this week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Other than the road conditions the water and hunting in it is most productive for me . A lot of folks will not walk in it far either. Dragging is a a lot easier. How bad do these roads get .
            Last edited by Leonitas1306; 09-13-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Y'all........

Please don't take this lightly........

I live in corpus, about an hour fifteen minutes from the fuge.........

If you are not planning on SEVERAL ways of fighting off mosquitoes your going to possibly die of blood loss. It's still raining down here and we have a LOAD of mosquitos where we normally don't have any. So, please for your own good, get prepared. It's going to be like something you have never seen in your life.

Comment

Got a report this morning, rain gage 1 mile NW of the refuge showed a total of 15" for the last two weeks. Hunting buddy lives in Holiday Beach next to the refuge, said its expected to rain another 15" this next week. We're going to have plenty of standing water, gators and ducks love it...lol

Mosquitoes are going to be really bad this year most likely. Exceptions, one year we had standing water every where and no mosquitoes. As the water dried up during the hunt 10's of thousands of small dead perch were left in the trails and mud holes. The perch ate the mosquito larvae.

Factor in the equinox high tides every sept 21st that flood the marshes and salt flats, it doesn't have to rain for the refuge to have mosquitoes.

Comment

If I had a worst enemy......I would drop them in the middle of the Aransas Wildlife Refuge in shorts, t-shirt, no mosquito spray, and no snake boots. Some may think this is too harsh.
                  Thumper knows more than just about anyone here. When I was a young man back in the mid 70’s...my Dad began taking me to hunt at the refuge. I was nine on my first hunt there. If my Mother only knew the conditions then she would have divorced my Dad. LOL. I would tag along with my Dad and two of his other buddies. They all taught at Victoria High School back in the 70’s. Walking through chest-high water, seeing snakes, alligators, mosquitoes, and facing the heat made for a tough hunt at such a young age. My Dad would put me in a tree and go off to hunt. We would camp on the side of the road or stay at Hoppers Landing. I hunted the refuge for about ten years straight and finally stopped. Never been back. My Dad has arrowed a few decent bucks and plenty of hogs out there. Also lost plenty of hogs. Some of the brush is so thick it is virtually impossible to track an animal. Many adventures that I will never forget. The mosquitoes will test the toughest of individuals. This is not a hunt for the faint of heart. I have been lost on the refuge for hours one time. Had to wait until it was dark to make out headlights in the distance to find a road. I keep telling myself that one day I will go back but just have not done it. Some folks asked about bicycles.....leave the bike at home. Walk as far off the roads as you can. You will run in to other hunters. Just part of the hunt. Someone mentioned aluminum ladders. We would secure plastic boat seats on the top of a six foot ladder and carry them in for a half mile or so. It was the lightest thing to carry at the time. It was also easy to conceal a six foot ladder in the brush near game trails. Back to the mosquito spray.....if you do not put mosquito spray on your eyelids the mosquitoes will find that vulnerability. I kind of miss the humming noise of the mosquitoes as the sun came up. You will hear it. You will also hear it in your sleep. The steady hum of billions of mosquitoes. I am looking forward to all of the stories from this hunt. I could tell a whole bunch more stories but I digress. Heck, Thumper could probably write a book about the Refuge hunts. Looking forward to reading about the hunts this year. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Oh, by the way....my avatar pic is my Dad and I at the Refuge. I was 19 in that pic. 51 now. Our Blue Jeep Cherokee is covered in coliche dust from the roads. Did not have any rain that year.

Comment

Aransas

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      Oh, by the way....my avatar pic is my Dad and I at the Refuge. I was 19 in that pic. 51 now. Our Blue Jeep Cherokee is covered in coliche dust from the roads. Did not have any rain that year.
                      I enjoy your post . The pic with your father is super great . I would like to say that your hunts here sounded a lot like mine growing up . I hunted the Everglades and central Florida . Sir , you would love it there . Y’all would feel right at home. I hope that I will find myself enjoying that ,this hunt . I can’t tell you how great and motivating your posts are. I’m please to hear from HUNTERS . If you ever need help with your Turkey Slam , I’m your man for an oceola Turkey ! I’d be glad to share some of my turkey roosts with y’all. God bless

Comment

Scouting might be a little wet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Important question for folks who've been out there before: What is the cell reception like, if any at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Slim79x View Post
                            Important question for folks who've been out there before: What is the cell reception like, if any at all?

There are some weak spots but over all its pretty darn good.

Comment

We may be in luck, most model runs have Isaac running in just south of Brownsville TX and moving through at a good speed. If they hold true the refuge should miss most of its heavy rains, even with the refuge being on the strong side of the storm.

Comment

Just got notification I drew General as well. Going to be spending a lot of time down South this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X