Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATI View Post
    Speaking of....
    What size and gauge pipe or square tubing is best to use to not make it super heavy and still strong enough. I also need a size that will fit into the next size up for the cap on top for the legs to slip into and be held in place. Also the cable needs a wheel to slide/roll on, correct?

Any pics / diagrams / advice would be appreciate it.
    1.5" schedule 40 pipe legs and 2" schedule 40 tops welded to 3/8 plate. Pipe comes in 21' length and what I do is buy two and cut 7' off each one and weld them together for 14' tripod. The tops are cut on a 33 degree angle with the winch either u-bolted to pipe or weld a bracket to one leg and bolt it. I just sold my last two and used them for 15-20 years with no pen and cows on the place, never had one knocked down by a cow or pig but did once by a horse.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
      For sure get one with a brake, and you can double-pulley the cable to make it easier to raise, though it will take twice as many turns.

Also, if you don't have a winch w/brake and it slips out of your hand, don't try to grab it to stop the fall

Both of my feeders are now double pulley crank up type. My new one is hellfor stout, with schedule 40 2-piece legs. Got the bale and tripod top from Boss Buck. I second the Harbor Freight winch. Been using theirs for years on feeders and cleaning racks.

A while back I was cranking the feeder down and it was super easy, so I tried letting go of the hand crank. It wound down slow and easy. Before I added the second pulley, I’d have never tried that.

Comment

I've built over a couple hunerd of them.......stand and fill is all I use now!

Comment

Stand and fill is the way to go. If cattle are an issue build a circle feed pen.

Comment

It will do it. But if you’re building, build stand and fills. We’re transitioning all of ours from winch ups to stand and fills.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
              I guess I should have clarified. I have cows on the property. They done fool with the corn now, but my feeder is 7.5 ft tall to the timer. So I worry they would destroy a stand a fill.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

One of our guys has stand and fills, the cows rub on them to shake corn out. But the larger problem is the pigs digging ctsters under them to get to the corn that falls straight down, then they shake them until empty. Nevermind that if adeer is standing in front of one, you can’t shoot it for fear of shooting s hole in the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                if adeer is standing in front of one, you can’t shoot it for fear of shooting s hole in the feeder.
                this and the concern that a shot could be blocked by the deer being on the other side of the stand and fill. if and when i transition to a stand and fill it will have to have a directional thrower

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  I've built over a couple hunerd of them.......stand and fill is all I use now!
                  Any leftover tripods for sale?

Comment

I have one stand and fill and 6 winch ups. I have never had a problem with cattle at the stand and fill. I don’t hunt over the stand and fill, but I can understand the issue with blocked shots. I have only had one problem with a winch up in over thirty years of using them and that was my fault for not replacing the cable sooner.

Comment

Built my own and used this winch from harbor freight. Been using it 5 years now and never had any issues. I removed the handle, put doubled nuts on the shaft and use my cordless drill to raise and lower it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

River frontage and stand and fills dont mix well. I went to all winch ups on the river. If outside the river flood areas then YES... Stand and Fill all the way. I am working on a prototype stand and fill that will float up with 600lbs of corn.

Comment

Post up some of your Tripods, we need ideas for our build

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                            Built my own and used this winch from harbor freight. Been using it 5 years now and never had any issues. I removed the handle, put doubled nuts on the shaft and use my cordless drill to raise and lower it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                            I used that one the same way but the nuts stripped the threads. I just tighten the chuck on the shaft now.
                            Fixing to pull it down and sell it. We've gone to all stand and fills.

Gary

Comment

I have Fulton 1500 lb brake winches on two feeders that I've had since 2003. Sixteen years out in the weather and I've yet to have to replace one. I do not affix the handles with the nut. I just slide them on when I need to crank my feeder up or down. The rest of the time, I just drop the shaft of the handle down into the space behind the winch drum and it just hangs there until someone lifts it out to use it. By not having the handle attached, there's no way for the feeder to lower accidentally.

Comment

The only way I would ever use a winch up feeder again is if I was not putting a pig proof fence around it, otherwise stand and fill for me. Actually I would just use 7-8 foot legs and fill with a ladder. Winch up feeders are just like mechanical broad heads, too many moving parts, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X